Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BriGuy
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Curious why you would sight in dead on at 100 if you are wanting to shoot distance?

Because my rifle was purposefully built for 500 yards and less. No reason to not zero at 100 yards.

I guess it depends on target size. If you sight in dead on at 200, you won't even have to spin a dial until 350. Then you only need a drop chart with 4 references. 350-400-450-500. 0-300 on a deer would be hold and shoot.

GB1

BriGuy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Curious why you would sight in dead on at 100 if you are wanting to shoot distance?

Because my rifle was purposefully built for 500 yards and less. No reason to not zero at 100 yards.

I guess it depends on target size. If you sight in dead on at 200, you won't even have to spin a dial until 350. Then you only need a drop chart with 4 references. 350-400-450-500. 0-300 on a deer would be hold and shoot.

It's not to difficult to dial in 200 yards off my drop chart, and sit there waiting to see what fortune strolls my way. Just because I zero at 100 doesn't mean I have to stay there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Affirmative. Most of my first-time clients try to over think long range shooting.

BriGuy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Maverick940

Affirmative. Most of my first-time clients try to over think long range shooting.

Well if I'm shooting my rifle at steel plates, I will put as much thought into it as I please. When one is learning the nuances of rang estimation, wind doping, effects of outside forces influence on bullet flight then why do you care how much thought they put into it? I would rather some one to go through what you feel are unnecessary steps and make a clean hit, than to be slinging bullets without much consideration of what that bullets doing between the muzzle and intended target.

As I stated before. If I know where 200 yard zero is on my scope, what's the difference? I spin the turrets to my 200 yard zero and boom, I'm there just like you. Now I can hunt with my rifle zeroed at 200 because it makes you feel happy even though it doesn't make two wits difference to me.

Last edited by BriGuy; 06/25/14.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Bill_Davis
Yes sir, I would agree that inches vs true MOA is different past 1000yds..but how many can truly shoot accurately that far or even have a need to do so. And how many shooters can hold that .047 differential steady in how they shoot?
This not to enter into a flaming contest, just trying to point out that few shooters have the capability or equipment to accurately shoot out to where that .047 matters.
Bill

It is more than simply .047. Let' say that you need 20 MOA at on thousand yard you 20 but you scope only adjusts I inches per hundred yards. That means that you made a correct of 200 inches at 1000 yards. But 20 MOA is 209.47 inches at 1000 yards. It compounds for very one and every 100 yards.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This thread is amazing.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
If your of the mindset that what your attempting to do can be
mastered by simply adding data into a scope your in for a rude
awakening. The normal scenario would be to work up a load for
your rifle. Then chronagraph it to obtain velocity numbers.
Then go to one of the sites like J B and print out a chart based
on all the data you entered. Then armed with your chart you go
shoot and compare real world results with the chart which is
usually wrong. Reason its wrong will usually be due to the chronagraph lying about the velocity. Tomorrow it will tell you a different lie.
You will be forced to tweek velocity numbers so that your subsequent chart is in line with real world shooting results. Also be prepared for the real world results to vary from day to day also. Leaving your ammo in your vehicle overnite when it goes below zero for example could have an impact. Thats just one thing and there are others. Many shooters today are caught up in the idea of the importance of what is known as a (first round cold bore hit).
If thats what your striving to do then you will be grasping at
any device you can find to assist you in that. On the other hand
a buddy sitting behind you with good optics on a tripod can tell
you where your last shot went. Thats about as good as it gets in
reality and a dead deer will never ask why it took 2 or 3 shots.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by yobuck
Then go to one of the sites like J B and print out a chart based
on all the data you entered. Then armed with your chart you go
shoot and compare real world results with the chart which is
usually wrong. Reason its wrong will usually be due to the chronagraph lying about the velocity. Tomorrow it will tell you a different lie.
You will be forced to tweek velocity numbers so that your subsequent chart is in line with real world shooting results. Also be prepared for the real world results to vary from day to day also. Leaving your ammo in your vehicle overnite when it goes below zero for example could have an impact. Thats just one thing and there are others. Many shooters today are caught up in the idea of the importance of what is known as a (first round cold bore hit).
If thats what your striving to do then you will be grasping at
any device you can find to assist you in that. On the other hand
a buddy sitting behind you with good optics on a tripod can tell
you where your last shot went. Thats about as good as it gets in
reality and a dead deer will never ask why it took 2 or 3 shots.

Excellent post!

Throw in some wind and mirage and stuff really gets interesting.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
.....and a dead deer will never ask why it took 2 or 3 shots.

But a wounded deer that runs off and dies in the next county won't be terribly happy about the situation.....

The way around that is to get close enough that you can't miss.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
But a wounded deer that runs off and dies in the next county won't be terribly happy about the situation.....

Hitting doesn't guaranty the the animal will not run. I shot one at eleven yards. I never found it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

BriGuy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Im not of that mindset at all, I'm afraid you're making inaccurate assumptions about me. In fact i stated in my opening post, first sentence.

" Ok so after developing a load "

To keep the opening post as short as possible, and to get to the crux of my question I didn't deem it necessary to bore everyone with the details of my load development process. Since it seems to be relevant or a prerequisite to ask questions I'll share.

I normally make some form of decision of what bullet weight I want to shoot, as well as what velocity range I want to shoot it in while keeping in mind that I'll put more emphasis on accuracy over velocity. I weigh my options between primers, powder, and brass. after consulting various reloading manuals, I'll begin with a starting charge, and work up from there. Usually after playing with the charge, and seating depth, I find a load that satisfies my criteria of acceptable accuracy within the velocity range I'm looking for. My current load is

Win Brass.
165gr Nosler Accubond seated .070 off lands.
57.5gr H4350
Fed 210 primers

Surprising as it may be I do shoot over a chronograph. The above load clocks in at 2800 fps. but if you were reading my original post, you would have seen that I stated my muzzle velocity was indeed in the 2800 FPS range hence why I included that into JBM. Now I can see why one would think I just made a random guess that my muzzle velocity was 2800 FPS since I stated such a round number, but in my defense, I again didn't think listing my Standard Dev, or ES was going to add or take away from my question as to why my Calculated MOA and JBM's was different. notice i didn't say all other information was different, only calculated MOA. Drop was pretty much in line with JBM.

Prairie_goat helped me with a more accurate formula to get the answer I was seeking to which I extended my most gracious appreciation.

As for the rest of your reply as it relates to temp sensitivity, cold bore shots, etc etc etc... I have no idea where all that came from as it's totally irrelevant to the question asked.

Last edited by BriGuy; 06/25/14.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Ringman
[quote]But a wounded deer that runs off and dies in the next county won't be terribly happy about the situation.....

Hitting doesn't guaranty the the animal will not run. I shot one at eleven yards. I never found it. [/quote

Those things happen when your scope is on 124x or whatever ridiculously overscoped application you tend to run.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Get a rough zero at 100 yards, and get a perfect zero for your data at 500, and not fret a click or two off at any distance closer.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Those things happen when your scope is on 124x or whatever ridiculously overscoped application you tend to run.

You can't help yourself, can you? Back in those days I used Burris 4-12X. They were used on 4X when in the woods and 12X when at the range.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
BriGuy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

You can't help yourself, can you? Back in those days I used Burris 4-12X. They were used on 4X when in the woods and 12X when at the range.

I'll apologize in advance, but this post is just to funny!

"You can't help yourself can you?"

i don't know why I find it so funny, but i do....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Like I said, ridiculously overscoped.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Like I said, ridiculously overscoped.

Over scoped, how do you figure?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
[quote=Ringman]

Hitting doesn't guaranty the the animal will not run. I shot one at eleven yards. I never found it. [/quote

Those things happen sooner or latter if you shoot enough game.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
This thread is amazing.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid is not.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
.....and a dead deer will never ask why it took 2 or 3 shots.

CORRECT, and thats why Joe Nimrod always jams his magazine
full.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,169
Posts18,484,568
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.