Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bend Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm looking for recommendations for both a 2 inch hitch mount and a winch (Warne?).

I want the winch on the truck only part-time that's why the hitch mount. The winch will be brought on camping and hunting trips for use in getting the truck and trailer unstuck and maybe pulling game (elk) out of a canyon.

Any suggestions for this type of system?

TIA.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best mounts I've seen have been custom fabbed. The problem with many mounts is the winch is placed too low, so it can be damaged on steep aproaches, of course that can be cured by keeping the winch in the cab or bed. The nice thing abou the reciever mount is you can run it front or rear, but you'll have to run some serious cables aft to run it off the trailer hitch.

Warn makes good stuff, and remember there is no such thing as a too powerful winch.

You might be better off using one of the chainsaw based captstan units for pulling game, as you can run a long rope. With a winch you'll be limited by the length of the cable, and will be spending alot of time rigging, and re-rigging, and re-riggin.

If I was planning to pull game out, I'd include a kids snow sled to put the game on, both to keep it cleaner, and make for an easier pull.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
how heavy is your truck. i have a 8000lb warn mounted on a reciver plate mount. what i did is take, a 22' high quality jumper cable and install a couple quick disconnects one at the winch, one on the short side of the jumper cables. i can use them as jumper cables or running the winch on the rear of the truck, or front.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
another thing to consider is making a short mount for the winch when not in use. a simple plate with a short section of square tube to pin the mount in... hate to see a winch flyin' around loose in a truck....

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have an 8000lb wnch on my Dodge 3/4T cummins. I have it rigged so I can pull from front or back from either reciever.

Last year I had to winch the truck and the 20 ft gooseneck out of about 100 yds of mud that I couldnet get out of. It wasn't very steep, just slimy. The trailer ddin't have the mules inyet. and everything worked the way it should. I think it is the way to go instead of mounting the winch to the front permanently.
I'm not the biggest guy around and the 8K winch is the biggest I could pick up and put in the reciever. The 9500 winch is over 100 lbs. You can lighten it up by putting the high strength rope on it instead of the cable,

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 53 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,033
Posts18,500,622
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.