Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm helping (co signing) my son get a truck. He wants a full size, short bed model, no crew cab with some storage behind the seat. 4wd if possible but no big deal. He's got a $10,000 budget. Any thoughts on what's possibly got the least chance of having problems, what to stay away from, etc. IMO at that price it's pretty much a crap shoot but maybe some models are better than others? Chevy, GMC, Ford or Dodge he doesn't care.

GB1

N
NTG Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I'd be looking for a decent later 90's GM with the vortec 350. They're a solid truck and you can find a good one in that price range if you're patient.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does he plan on doing any towing? I'd at least get an extra cab for carrying gear. An early to mid 90's F150 or F250, something FI, would be a good choice.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's three known issues with late 90s Chevy Vortec trucks that you should be aware of. These three are not a matter of if but when and they can be spendy if you can't fix it yourself.

Fuel pump
Intake manifold gaskets
Transmission

The good news is a Delco fuel pump should last for well over a 100K. If the IM gaskets are replaced with the new Fel-Pro design that eliminates the problem for good. Transmissions usually last approximately 150k to 200k if they've been maintained and not abused. Vortec engines last a long time.

Other than that they're a good truck but they have problems like every other full size American made truck when it comes to wearables like water pumps, steering components, alternators ... etc. Most of these items aren't terribly expensive if you can do the labor.

I'd rank (gas powered) Chevys equal or maybe slightly better than Fords and far better than Dodge trucks of that era (late 90s).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hard to find a used truck that's NOT a Crewcab, nowadays. I'd look at a Ford 150 with the 5.4 V-8 4X4. Several of my buddies have them with 250 K miles on them and they are still running like new. Pretty much bullet proof on the engine & 4 Wheel Drive system.

There's a reason that the Ford F-150 is not only the best selling truck of all time, but also the #1 Vehicle sold in the USA.

The Chevys & Dodges, not so much.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/26/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Find a Tundra

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
He wants a truck, not a Tundra. mtmuley

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
An 06 or older Tundra would certainly be in the running. The standard cab versions can be had pretty cheap even in 4X4.

There's a reason that the Ford F-150 is not only the best selling truck of all time, but also the #1 Vehicle sold in the USA.

McDonalds is the best selling hamburger of all time too, doesn't mean they make the best burger.

I'd still lean toward Ford or Toyota, I feel you'll get more truck for the $10K. Over the years the big 3 have all had good and bad years. Just depends on which year you buy and which features are more important to you.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JMR40
An 06 or older Tundra would certainly be in the running. The standard cab versions can be had pretty cheap even in 4X4.

McDonalds is the best selling hamburger of all time too, doesn't mean they make the best burger.

I'd still lean toward Ford or Toyota, I feel you'll get more truck for the $10K. Over the years the big 3 have all had good and bad years. Just depends on which year you buy and which features are more important to you.

I've never had a problem with ANY of my Fords. As in ZERO, Ziltch! And I use my Fords HARD here at the Ranch. Every Day.

That being said, I wouldn't have any problem buying a Toyota, either. Great little trucks for the money, IMO. They just dont have the power to tow what I tow.

You couldn't give me a frickin Dodge, and you'd have to give me a Chevy before I drove it. wink

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Zero problems with a Ford huh? Never? BullShcit. mtmuley

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mtmuley
Zero problems with a Ford huh? Never? BullShcit. mtmuley

Chevy man ehh ? Truck envy ? Can't afford a Real Truck ? wink

That's right, Never. I change the oil & diesel filter regularly. Keep the air cleaner clean, that's it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

The Chevys & Dodges, not so much.

Ford guys apparently fail to understand that Chevy + GMC > Ford in sales. Chevy sales are split by GMC. In any event, I'm not sure why #1 in sales would matter all that much when you make your pick.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Actually they don't fail to understand anything. In case you haven't noticed, Ford F-series has outsold GM's Sierra and Silverado combined and have for years. However, If we're talking ONLY about the half-ton, GM chose to continue to separate lines of the same truck. No ones fault but their own.

2013 sales

2012 sales

data so easily available.

I do agree that #1 in sales doesn't amount to much.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Get a Tundra
You will wonder why you wasted all that time on others

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
If you can find an early 90 s non vortec chevy gmc. They have proven to be verry reliable and pretty easy to work on. The vortec manifold issue is an easy fix and definatly not a deal breaker but those late 90s trucks have more frills and more things to break. Talking power seat brackets crappy cup holder ect. I have had and sold a95 and have a 99 suburban. My 93 2500 has close to 300 k and have never touched the engine or differentials Had to rebuild the tranny tho. But it was cheap. Under 1 k.
Don't overlook the 80s Chevys I have 2 - 84 2500s and they were pretty good ole trucks. Don't get the gas milage the 93 does tho. But they are really easy to keep going. If you can find an 87 it will be TBI motor..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by thin_man
Actually they don't fail to understand anything. In case you haven't noticed, Ford F-series has outsold GM's Sierra and Silverado combined and have for years. However, If we're talking ONLY about the half-ton, GM chose to continue to separate lines of the same truck. No ones fault but their own.

2013 sales

2012 sales

data so easily available.

I do agree that #1 in sales doesn't amount to much.

AND the #1 Selling VEHICLE, among ALL Vehichle Models, including cars, trucks, mini-vans, SUV's, ect..... Not just Pickups!

What that tells me is that Ford has the most satisfied customer base. And the highest resale values. I trade every few years, and resale value makes a big difference to me.

Also, since new Ford Pickups are more expensive than the Chevys, Dodge, GMC, & Toyota, that tells me that Ford buyers don't mind paying a little more for a better more dependable product.

If Chevy, Dodge, & Toyota built better trucks than Ford does, surely they would out sale Ford, since the others are cheaper in price. wink

Not to mention the fact that Chevy is now the .Gov. brand sick I rest my case cool

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
steer clear of the mid 2000's dodge rams. theres a 2005 powerless, gas guzzling, POS rust bucket sitting in my driveway that i wish would catch fire before it costs me more money. friggen dodge.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
I'm helping (co signing) my son get a truck. He wants a full size, short bed model, no crew cab with some storage behind the seat. 4wd if possible but no big deal. He's got a $10,000 budget. Any thoughts on what's possibly got the least chance of having problems, what to stay away from, etc. IMO at that price it's pretty much a crap shoot but maybe some models are better than others? Chevy, GMC, Ford or Dodge he doesn't care.

That budget is plenty enough to get very good truck. My old '94 GMC has been a great truck and it's probably worth only 1/3 of your budget. With 235k miles it's mostly been sitting the last 10yrs since I got the diesel. Still if the battery has juice it starts right up after a winter spent covered with snow. For $10K you can find something a lot newer and with many less miles. But no matter which make you get it'll have it's own idiosyncrasies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tundra

220 Swift still king.
A
AML Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Actually, I believe the reason Ford is the number one selling pickup is because they have the largest dealer network. I've owned one Ford pickup that I bought new and kept for 11 years. Overall, it was a pretty good truck. Do a search on one of the major automotive sites for trucks in your son's price range for your location. I usually find at least one real gem in the list, sometimes several.

Last edited by AML; 06/28/14.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,461
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.