Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
New York season has just opened, but ever since I was a kid I was told not to hunt bushytails until after the first hard frost. My Uncle, and favorite hunting partner always said that until then the squirells might have "warbles". I dont know what that could be and was wondering if anyone knew? Maybe they are some sort of parasite or something. If this is really nothing, I will be in the woods this Saturday and Sunday. Help me out guys I got the itch to hit the hardwoods.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I dearly love to hunt the rascals! I too am out there on opening day!
<br>
<br>I have only had one problem with squirrels before the first frost. FLEAS!
<br>
<br>After they are dead I set them aside to cool. When the body is cold the fleas leave.
<br>
<br>Can't say I've much experience with warbles. I do notice that they tend to taste better after the first frost.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fry the young'uns and stew the rest! Nothing like a pot of red squirel stew on a cool evening.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I seldom miss opening weekend of squirrel season. I'll be out there day after tomorrow.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Warbles are parasitic fly larvae found across the back (usually) and when the critter hatches it leaves a big scar on the back. Caribou hides are never tanned for leather, only with hair on, because the scars are ugly and weak, creating lousy leather.
<br>
<br>I have shot lots of NY tree rats in northern and southern NY. I look for that sort of thing, my MS thesis was on blood parasites in ducks, and I do not recall ever finding a warble or a scar???
<br>
<br>I was on the old family farm woodlot for the first week last fall and shot a huge pile of them. It was lots of fun! Hunt away, I'd say.
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Our GA gray squirrels will have "worms" what folks around here call them, ranging in size from a quarter to half dollar until after a good cold snap...
<br>
<br>Our season starts mid August, but I always wait until the leaves fall a little..I don't like shooting through the leaves with a shotgun..I like to wait and snipe them with either a .22LR or .22 Magnum..
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't think I would worry about the squirrels just shoot and dress them while they are still warm for easy skinning, the hide is off in about a minute so I don't worry about the fleas. PDS said it, fry young, stew old. Rabbits I do wait till after frost. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I too had usually waited until after the first frost, but I generally attributed that to old-timer hunters waiting for the leaves to start dropping. [Linked Image] I've never had any problems with warbles, but on some of the early season squirrels there are fleas. I too usually skin & dress them out while they are still warm and then get them cooled off quickly to prevent spoilage. This is especially true during the opener & when the weather is still warm.
<br>
<br>No worries here, I'm going out this weekend for the opener and can already taste fried squirrel and a big helping of mashed taters with squirrel gravy ... mmmmmmmmmm
<br>
<br>
<br>B.I.C.
<br>wannatikka

B.I.C.
'tikka
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ROTR,
<br>
<br>We have fox squirrels here in NW MO. I still hunt them with an old S&W pellet rifle equiped with a BSA 2-7x scope. The .22 pellets are clean killer within the practical range of my rifle and sneaking around the woods is good practice for when it counts!
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I miss those big ole fox squirells..They are a lot bigger than most of the grays we have...Every once in awhile I'll see one that has some red on it, but not often.
<br>
<br>I have never tried a pellet gun on them..That sounds pretty tough.
<br>
<br>I have an old single shot Remington(my favorite .22 of several) that I bought at a police auction of confiscated guns. It isn't much to look at, but it is death on squirells[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Mike
<br>
<br>

NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never had a problem with them when I was growing uo in northern Illinois, they did taste better after a good freeze. Rabbits were another matter, they could be quite wormy in warm weather.
<br>
<br>Down here in my part of Florida the little Greys are so small as to almost be a waste of ammo if it was't so much fun. Takes a whole mess of them to make a good stew.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pellet guns are outlawed for hunting in Texas. Sure nice and quite in town for those squirrels that insist on invading the attic. -- no

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Need 1,
<br>
<br>There are three (3) reasons why I use the pellet rifle:
<br>
<br>1. It is quiet and I can hunt in small rural wood lots that are close to dwellings, without endangering the occupants. If you miss a shot with a .22 LR, you can't control where the bullet comes down. A pellet, on the other hand, isn't going to travel nearly as far, so you can "manage" your potential impact area more closely.
<br>
<br>2. It requires me to be a quiet stalker. I figure that if I can "walk up" a squirrel, I can usually do the same to a deer.
<br>
<br>3. There are some communities that don't allow for the discharge of a firearm within their borders, however, a pellet rifle is not considered a firearm in most places. It is also useful when float hunting along a river bank for squirrels and bullfrogs.
<br>
<br>Also, if the weather doesn't cooperate, rain/snow/muddy roads, I can shoot 50' inside the tool shed when my wife is at home and get my daily pracitice done without bothering her. She, like most musicians who I have met, is pretty tightly strung! If she isn't home, I can shoot 50' inside the house if I'm really careful, but don't tell her if you see her!
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our season in PA doesn't start for 3 weeks yet. It's usually late enough that we have a frost or two prior, but to tell the truth, I never thought about it. I usualy skin them as soon as I get them, mainly so the meat cools quicker. I carry a plastic bag or two in my jacket pocket.
<br>
<br>Hunting them with a shotgun is like using a spotlight to hunt deer. [Linked Image] I wait till the leaves have fallen enough to use a .22 or .22 magnum. It's just more fun to me.
<br>
<br>There are also alot of fox squirrel around here, and I try to avoid killing them unless they're good size. Another reason to use a .22 with a good scope. Without, it's hard to tell an average gray from a small fox.
<br>7mm

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 09/13/02.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Squirrel season opens here in Texas Oct. 1. I have five bird feeders in my yard and about a dozen squirrels. All fox. By the time the season opens they are going to weigh nine pounds apiece. What I don't render for lard I am going to fry in their own grease. Right now they just sit on the feeders and cuss me if I am late with the sunflower seeds. Come Oct 1 I am going to introduce Mr Squirrel to Mr Ruger's MK 2 22 pistol. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WHAT'S THIS??? Every time I turn around you are coming up with a strange gun. Where you hiding all these things? Bet you got a safe down in the back pasture somewhere. -- no

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ya talked me into it boys. I am going out Sunday morning. I got a bunch of lesson plans to make for my seventh graders, so I dont know when I will be checking back in, but you gents have given me the go ahead.
<br>
<br>Thanks
<br>BZ

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dear NYSavage Fan;
<br>I'm headed up to PA in October to do some squirrel
<br>hunting, visit family, and drool over guns that I cant
<br>afford right now. I have a .25-20 that I hope to try out
<br>if not, I'll just borrow a .22 rifle from my uncle. I have
<br>always enjoyed hunting squirrels with a rifle and a good
<br>scope, head shots only, my Grandmother makes the
<br>worlds greatest squirrel patties. Still on the look out
<br>for the ultimate squirrel rifle. Good hunting tomorrow
<br>NY Savage Fan and dont use a shotgun!

Hmmmmm, I've hunted squirrels beginning in August all my life, and never any problems, other than you REALLY need to clean them as soon as possible. The last couple years, I've been using a Ruger 77/22 Hornet reamed out to K hornet. It's a head shot only proposition, but that's ok cause if I don't get a perfect shot, it's a clean miss.
<br>
<br> Chad

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>My Dad has the same problem! they are going through 10-20 Lb's of seed a week! The dang things can barely climb trees to run from their yap dog/mutt!
<br>
<br>Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,771
Posts18,515,595
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.