-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This was something I've been wanting to do for awhile but never got a roundtuit. The deadening worked and the hollow echo sound in the butt is gone.

I used some leftover Dynamat from my (DIY smile ) sound deadening and acoustical enhancement project that I did on my truck when I installed a new stereo. However the Dynamat installed inside the void didn't drastically change the hollow sound. In case you're unfamiliar with Dynamat it's a thin .060" foil backed butyl rubber for dampening vibrations in sheet metal and in particular car doors.

I was going to fill the hollow area with spray can foam but the used can I had was plugged up so I went with Plan B. I used some open cell packing peanuts to fill the void. These are different from the typical styrofoam peanuts. They're open cell and very compressible.

The peanuts did the trick and if I did it again I'd probably skip the Dynamat. There's no need to mess with sticky goopy spray in foam either. Remove the grip cap to fill that void and then cram peanuts in the butt.

Why did I do this? Good question. smile

A couple of years ago I stalked a buck and as I closed the last ten yards crawling on my hands and knees I bumped the stock on softball sized rock. It made that hollow unnatural sound and put the buck on alert. Fortunately I was sneaking up behind a boulder so the buck couldn't see me or place the sound. I shot him but I don't want it to happen again so that's why.

Now if you rap the butt it's just a dead thunk sound similar to a wood stock which is mucho betta.

FWIW, I installed a Limbsaver recoil pad and it was well worth the money. It not only tames recoil far better than the factory pad but it also greatly reduces muzzle jump on the bench.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I own the same gun and can attest to the hollow sounding stock. Someone told me to stuff it with those thin plastic bags you always get from Walmart or Target when you check out. I haven't tried it yet...

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just stuff a hunk of seat cushion foam rubber in the stock.takes just a minute and no mess.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Love the Z5 Omega but hated the hollow stock. It left the gun out of balance.

A couple of winters ago, I layered in white caulk at the rate of about a half inch at a time, allowing it to dry before adding another layer.

I may have added a little weight to the gun but it's now a solid shooter and feels great. My hunting is almost always sitting in a ground blind anyway.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I used the beads that are used in air soft guns and used Brownells Accruglass ( not the Jell) to mix them in. The beads keep the weight down considerably. Still wasn't overly happy with it so I carved a new walnut stock for mine.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
And a nice one at that. You wouldn't mind carving one up for my Triumph real quick, wouldja? grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I could do one this winter for you. I still have some decent walnut. Nothing with fancy grain, but good and cured.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/29/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for the offer Vince. I'm tempted to take you up on it, but I'm sure you have better uses for your walnut than making a stock for me!!

I'd probably be the only guy you'd ever run into with a walnut-stocked Triumph though.........

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This walnut is what I got when my brother was doing commercial buildings in SW PA. He would go in and timber the lot and make a deal with a saw mill to cut the stuff for 1/2 the wood. The last saw cut was always about 3" thick so he would put it up in his barn rafters to cure and I would pick a plank up from time to time if I went back east.

The stuff I have left is maybe 30 years old and I have enough for 3-4 more stocks. I do it a a hobby and the only cost is recoil pad ,a kit of Acuglass Gel, and what ever finish I use.

Here's a TC Hawkin I did so you can the type of walnut used.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice. If you're game, and we can agree on a price for your work, I may have to drop off the rifle after the season.

What kind of finish do you use?

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Nice. If you're game, and we can agree on a price for your work, I may have to drop off the rifle after the season.

What kind of finish do you use?

cost of recoil pad( about $25)

kit of Acruglass( about $20)

Finish material ( Maybe $10)

I start with unthinned Minwax Helsman spar varnish until I have all the pores filled. then I sand back down to level ( almost bare wood).

Then I start adding pure tung oil to the varnish ,maybe a 30% tung oil-70% varnish. I apply, wipe dry, maybe 20-30 coats. Then I let it set for several weeks and rub out to more of a matte finish with pumice and mineral I oil.

This is a finish that Sitka Deer on this forum uses ( maybe a little variation)

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wow, that is a deal I can't pass up, but I'll be more than happy to pay for the walnut too. I'll want to go as light as possible on the weight of the stock, but we have plenty of time to flush out the particulars.

Pachmayr 1/2" pad sound about right? And on the Accraglass, do you prefer the gel or the regular?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I usually put a shotgun pad on all my stocks. I have real bad shoulders and need all the help I can get. That is what is on the TC Black Diamond I posted a photo of. Whatever you prefer though

I use the Gel

Walnut is free, it just takes up space in the rafters.

We can work out details later.

Vince

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks Vince. Looking forwar to it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 358wsm, 10Glocks, 907brass, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 1,391 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,928
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.