Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
I can also recommend heading up 281 North to Burnet. Actually it's a little before Burnet,on the east side of the highway,across from the airport. The place is called The Maxican and it's an exceptional place to eat Tex-Mex.

My brother lives on the river just southeast of Kingsland. We went to the Maxican last time we were down there and I was not impressed. And there's some old lady there that rubs on everybody's back while they're trying to eat....kinda' creepy.

It is his favorite place to go. He gets some kind of shrimp plate, but I'm allergic to shrimp. I had a relleno plate and it left a little to be desired.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try to make a trip to Perissos Winery east of Kingsland if you can. And the drive along Park Road 4 between Kingsland and Burnet is nice.

Perissos Vineyard and Winery
7214 Park Road 4 W
Burnet, Texas 78611

My wife digs the Sweet Lucy and I'm a Racker's Blend slut. The view of Falkenstein Castle from the front yard of the winery is pretty cool, too.

Across the road from Perissos is the Hoover Valley Cafe. Very good food and they always have a big pot of beans going.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Agreed Kaywoodie. Coopers in Llano is highly overrated and expensive. And I hate their BBQ Sauce. They've got good cobbler though. It's pretty low on my list of good TX BBQ.

We used to eat at Salt Lick just out side of Austin quite a bit, but I haven't been back there in a few years.

If y'all ever make it up to Abilene, the best BBQ here is a dive called Joe Allen's and another place called Betty Rose. Killer peach cobbler & banana pudding at the latter place.

I have a big plus 1000 for Joe Allen's BBQ in Abilene.

Have never tried the BBQ cause the first time I ate there I tried the 3/4 inch rib eye steak, and can't waste my time on regular BBQ.

That was the best steak I have ever eaten, I have been visiting religiously (only once per year) since I'm only in Abilene once per year for a few days for the last 10 years. Great Steak, it's the only steak I eat that is not cooked at home for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I can also recommend heading up 281 North to Burnet. Actually it's a little before Burnet,on the east side of the highway,across from the airport. The place is called The Maxican and it's an exceptional place to eat Tex-Mex.

My brother lives on the river just southeast of Kingsland. We went to the Maxican last time we were down there and I was not impressed. And there's some old lady there that rubs on everybody's back while they're trying to eat....kinda' creepy.

It is his favorite place to go. He gets some kind of shrimp plate, but I'm allergic to shrimp. I had a relleno plate and it left a little to be desired.

He had "Angles On Horseback" and it's an awesome dish and has been every time I've been there.
That older Lady that welcomes you is a very valuable part of the restaurant and has been for as long as it's been there. If you get creeped out by a friendly older lady that's welcoming you to the place,well... I'd guess that you ain't from Texas.
It's ashamed that you don't get it.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

He had "Angles On Horseback" and it's an awesome dish and has been every time I've been there.
That older Lady that welcomes you is a very valuable part of the restaurant and has been for as long as it's been there. If you get creeped out by a friendly older lady that's welcoming you to the place,well... I'd guess that you ain't from Texas.
It's ashamed that you don't get it.

Haha. That is funny. Sorry I don't like what you like. I'll take the insult with a great Texan attitude and will not reciprocate. Have a good day.

ETA: Born in Lamesa, TX. Came to Lubbock to go to Texas Tech and have lived here (in Lubbock) for 32 years. Don't plan on leaving......God willing. Try Durango's if you're in Lubbock. More specifically, try the beef relleno's with queso. They will definitely make you slap your pappy!

Last edited by 257heaven; 06/29/14.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Cooper's in Llano has gone downhill the past 5 years for sure - It used to be out of this world -

Living on the name -

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've stopped by Cooper's a few times in the last 2 years on our way from Lubbock to Kingsland to pick up some take-out. It's not bad. I enjoy the thick pork chops and the chicken. There is a BBQ place in Marble Falls that is very good. Can't remember the name.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Hmmm,,,, what's her name?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Pie Happy Hour!

I got a BJ from a waitress at the River City Grille, in their parking lot. It was in Bart's truck which really made it funny

I somehow knew that this was going to be here before I ever clicked on the topic. Still a pretty funny thing though. And I still have that effing truck. smile
Sounds like it's not "that effing truck" but rather "that [bleep] truck". lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Pie Happy Hour!

I got a BJ from a waitress at the River City Grille, in their parking lot. It was in Bart's truck which really made it funny

I somehow knew that this was going to be here before I ever clicked on the topic. Still a pretty funny thing though. And I still have that effing truck. smile
Sounds like it's not "that effing truck" but rather "that [bleep] truck". lol
Wow, you've got to have a badass filter to catch "[bleep]" and bleep it.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Partsman
Pie Happy Hour!

At least it sounds like he gave her a tip.

So the service is good... How's the food?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Waterguy
Agreed Kaywoodie. Coopers in Llano is highly overrated and expensive. And I hate their BBQ Sauce. They've got good cobbler though. It's pretty low on my list of good TX BBQ.

We used to eat at Salt Lick just out side of Austin quite a bit, but I haven't been back there in a few years.

If y'all ever make it up to Abilene, the best BBQ here is a dive called Joe Allen's and another place called Betty Rose. Killer peach cobbler & banana pudding at the latter place.

I have a big plus 1000 for Joe Allen's BBQ in Abilene.

Have never tried the BBQ cause the first time I ate there I tried the 3/4 inch rib eye steak, and can't waste my time on regular BBQ.

That was the best steak I have ever eaten, I have been visiting religiously (only once per year) since I'm only in Abilene once per year for a few days for the last 10 years. Great Steak, it's the only steak I eat that is not cooked at home for me.

Joe Allen cooks some damn good Ribeye's & seasons his mesquite grilled steaks just like I like mine. He uses only black pepper & garlic. I go there for his BBQ
But he doesn't cook the best steaks in Abilene. Next time your in town try a place called the Bee Hive. It's right downtown & they're Filets are to die for! Best steak I've ever had in all of Texas, IMO

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stop by Dahlia's in Liberty Hill.

Doc's Fish Camp in Marble Falls isn't half bad and the prices are reasonable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, and the drive from Marble Falls to Liberty Hill is really nice. Don't go through Burnet though, take 1431 to 1174 to 1869.

Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the suggestions. The wife ramrodded me out of Texas. I'll try and hit most of those places up on my next trip down there, when I'm not cruising around in a 26' U-Haul.

Last edited by Badley; 06/29/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by noharleyyet
Originally Posted by deflave
If I were a native Texan, I'd blow my head off. And I ain't talkin' about the [bleep]' foreskin either!

Travis

I doubt there's any difference.

LMAO !!

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Come back on a motorcycle. Do Liberty Hill for an early lunch and then take Dan's route to Marble Falls for a piece of pie. Cruise around and then take 962 to Austin and have supper at Shady Grove. The ride up to Mt. Bonnell and around there is nice too.

And you've gotta have a Round Rock donut.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Joe Allen cooks some damn good Ribeye's & seasons his mesquite grilled steaks just like I like mine. He uses only black pepper & garlic. I go there for his BBQ
But he doesn't cook the best steaks in Abilene. Next time your in town try a place called the Bee Hive. It's right downtown & they're Filets are to die for! Best steak I've ever had in all of Texas, IMO

I will try the Bee Hive next May when I am in Abilene, will also eat at Joe Alan's just for context since I'm only there for 3 days per year. I will update my comments then.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Joel

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 67 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,475
Posts18,529,558
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.