Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Killed a scimitar oryx, addax, some hogs and probably a couple other critters shooting the spare CL's I had sitting around for my 30-06. For a long time, I just used whatever ammo was available cheaply to me and had no problems killing stuff.

Nowadays, I would opt for a premium bullet, but if a cheap box of corelokts was all I had available, it wouldn't stop me from hunting (and killing stuff).

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never killed a moose or elk but I never had a deer or big boar get up and walk away after shooting them with one.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by shaman
I had grown up reading Outdoor Life, and although I was not hunting until I was an adult, I can remember a time when Remington Core-Lokt WAS a premium bullet.

There was a time when a lot of the Core-Lokt bullets were tougher than they are today. The PSP versions are not what they once were. Their jackets used to be a good bit thicker in the shank section.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I remember when Osborne computers were the shiet too...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16bore
Makes it easier to justify reloading. Just like hating Tikka's, 270's, etc....

A Tikka in 270 shooting Corlokts will cause blindness....

Huh? Need to get my glasses. I could barely read your message. grin

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I guess no way to prove it, but I bet if someone could tally up al the big game animals killed with CL the total would be more than all the other bullets on the market put together.

In states like PA an WS here 600,000 deer a year are killed, you will find more green box ammo than any other brand.

Just like a 30-06 they are boringly effective

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No hate but no love either. I just do not trust them just like the Sierra Gamekings.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by shaman
I had grown up reading Outdoor Life, and although I was not hunting until I was an adult, I can remember a time when Remington Core-Lokt WAS a premium bullet.

There was a time when a lot of the Core-Lokt bullets were tougher than they are today. The PSP versions are not what they once were. Their jackets used to be a good bit thicker in the shank section.

They made a reputation off the old style Core-Lokts, they are no more...

Here's a .35 from the mid 80's (350 Rem Mag)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, and I can also remember folks warning me on this august forum just a few years ago to switch to the 200 grain SPCL's because the PSPCL's were too tough for deer sized targets.

I did, and I have to admit that everything has died quite well since. I'm sorry, I'm not sure I get what y'all are saying. They thin out the bullet, because it isn't expanding to folks' tastes and then bullet is villified, because it's not as tough. I am not trying to be an expert here, but I would like to understand.

This sort of reminds me of the fellow from a few years ago who was going on about how his 300 WM bullet choice was blowing up on Elk shoulders inside 25 yards. Some booger had the temerity to suggest he might want to shoot something besides the shoulder when the game was that close. As memory serves me, that booger was me.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've seen 3 not make it past the shoulder, that's enough for me.

I understand your point, Scott.

I had a NP 210 in .338 not make it past the shoulder of a moose at 100 yards. Never used 'em again, although the second one pretty much up his nose at 10 feet when he surged back to his feet did the trick. (Clean pants here!)

I'm still using Corelokts however, as I've never had that kind of failure with one.
I think the point about moderate velocities with Corelokts is valid.

I've also quit on the shoulder shots... CNS if I can get it, or boiler room all the way.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
OK- I have to admit it- I broke down a couple months ago and bought a box of TSX or something Barnes for the .260. Not yet sight-fired.

I expect they will perform adequately (hopefully with similar POI on sight in) on caribou, or moose - sort of like the Coreloks... bang-flop.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in the Eighties we used to have a lot of trouble with the 180 Core-Lokt round nose out of the .30-06 not expanding well on deer. I shot a buck behind the shoulder and it went 200 yards. When I found it I still had to finish it. We had several examples of this and then my dad shot a 130 class buck and it made it a couple hundred yards onto a neighboring property. He couldn't get permission to go on and get his buck. After that we switched to 150 Core-Lokts and all the problems went away.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've seen 3 not make it past the shoulder, that's enough for me.

I understand your point, Scott.

I had a NP 210 in .338 not make it past the shoulder of a moose at 100 yards. Never used 'em again, although the second one pretty much up his nose at 10 feet when he surged back to his feet did the trick. (Clean pants here!)

I'm still using Corelokts however, as I've never had that kind of failure with one.
I think the point about moderate velocities with Corelokts is valid.

I've also quit on the shoulder shots... CNS if I can get it, or boiler room all the way.

Wait, you had a 210 Partition blow up on a Moose's shoulder blade and Shrapnel can't believe that I had a 150 Core-Lokt blow up on a Moose shoulder blade? crazy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I killed piles of critters with them as a youngster in 30-30 and 30-06. I never disliked them until I tried them for several years in a 7RM. The added MV led to many large wounds with little penetration, but they always killed critters just fine. We always referred to them as "John Deere" bullets.

Don't know that I'd take them after larger game with so many tough bullets available, but there's probably been more elk and moose bagged with CLs than any other bullet available. My Dad carried his 25-06 and 100g CLs to CO once many years ago. He shot a nice bull at 150yds that made it about 15yds after impact. Blind luck I guess laugh

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A bullet (any bullet) can only be designed to perform "perfectly" within a very narrow "window" of velosity.

Corelokts are designed to perform best at 2500-2800 fps (like most cup-and-core bullets). This just happens to be the "window" of the .30-06 at 100-200 yards (the most common distance game is taken in North America). That's the distance the Corelokt built it's reputation.

Add more velosity (read....Magnum) and things get a bit "hinkey". If you want a real "test" of how "tough" a bullet is......try shooting heavy bone at 20 yards at a muzzle velosity of 3000+ fps. The Corelokt wasn't designed for this and will sometimes "fail" as will most bullets. Design a bullet for these conditions and then people will scream because they fail to expand properly at 200 yards (where velosity has fallen off).

The bullet makers can't win. The Corelokt performs great....in the "window" it was designed for. It does so at a moderate price too. To gain the do-it-all performancesome seek requires something like the Nosler Partition.....but it comes at a price.

You pays your money and takes your chances. Corelokts are a GREAT bullet.....as long as you don't ask them to do more than the design is intended for.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Since you can only hunt with one bullet at a time, why bother with corelokts in the first place. If that's your cup of tea, then go for it. To me the Partition is still the gold standard for an all around hunting bullet. Close behind them would be the Horn Interlock. It's about choices. But in my experience and in talking with other folks the performance of corelockts is not even on the same page.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TexasRick
A bullet (any bullet) can only be designed to perform "perfectly" within a very narrow "window" of velosity.

Corelokts are designed to perform best at 2500-2800 fps (like most cup-and-core bullets). This just happens to be the "window" of the .30-06 at 100-200 yards (the most common distance game is taken in North America). That's the distance the Corelokt built it's reputation.

Add more velosity (read....Magnum) and things get a bit "hinkey". If you want a real "test" of how "tough" a bullet is......try shooting heavy bone at 20 yards at a muzzle velosity of 3000+ fps. The Corelokt wasn't designed for this and will sometimes "fail" as will most bullets. Design a bullet for these conditions and then people will scream because they fail to expand properly at 200 yards (where velosity has fallen off).

The bullet makers can't win. The Corelokt performs great....in the "window" it was designed for. It does so at a moderate price too. To gain the do-it-all performancesome seek requires something like the Nosler Partition.....but it comes at a price.

You pays your money and takes your chances. Corelokts are a GREAT bullet.....as long as you don't ask them to do more than the design is intended for.

Many bullets seem to have far larger "windows" than the CoreLokt... and they remain unreliable within their respective windows...

Their reputation was built the old-fashioned way... they bought it with lots of advertising dollars touting low price.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

.......... x2!

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Partitions, TSX, etc may be a little more expensive but is there anything else that connects you to the animal other than the bullet? If there is, I'm yet to see it. Besides, a box or two of Partitons for hunting can last a long while. A good handloader will find another bullet for practice, etc that has a similar POI. Will be no need to worry about "windows"...

Last edited by CLB; 06/30/14.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think a lot of the time we put way too much thought in all this. This bullet comes apart, this bullet pencils thru. I never recover this bullet, the bullet is the cheapest part of the hunt, I need one to perform in all circumstances.

I use to worry about all that myself I confess, although not a lot. If you chambering has a Magnum name attached to the end of it, you had best use tougher bullet or the same if you want to go to a light for caliber bullet.

Years ago I started using Game Kings, but usually heavy for caliber, 180 -220 gr in .308 and 30-06.

I guess I have a whole baby food jar here of C&C bullets that many would say failed, but I dug them out of dead animals. Except for one that I can remember, the elk probably never went more than 50 yards. The biggest bull I ever shot dropped on the spot and never flinched.

The one that entailed a long tracking job was hit in a quartering towards me shot,7 mag, 160 gr Partition. It wasn't the bullet, it was me, trying to make magnum do something it wasn't suppose to.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/30/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (1_deuce, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 27 invisible), 1,911 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,621
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.