Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
It really isn't that hard to do if the trunk is straight, but there's usually not quite so little room for error with a substantial penalty for failure.

Wonder if it was his house.

ya a 4-5 mile per h wind would change things up a little.
could see a slight curve in trunk as it came down , wonder if there was a lean or curve going same way as the tree????????.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Dat guy is good. Holy balz.....
Yep, and I've tried that trick (although my effort didn't require quite that level of precision). Fortunately a neighbor of mine is a tree man by profession and was willing to come over on a Sunday and help me get it falling in the right direction. Good thing I had tied the tree down such that it could only actually fall generally in the right direction, but it was wanting to fall towards the house, and I didn't know how long those ropes would hold as the weight of the tree was pulling them hard.

When he looked at my chainsaw cuts and arrangements (like the wedge and the ties), he said he was impressed that I seemed to do everything right, and he was surprised it wanted to go down the wrong way.

Just goes to show that no matter how carefully you study "how to" videos on YouTube, nothing beats experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ballsy is right. I'm pretty sure my grandfather could've done it, saw him fell precisely right more than once. But I don't think he would've even considered trying that one. Now my smartass uncle would've tried it on a bar bet, he was almost as good as his dad.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you bid that job at what it would take to do the job with little or no risk and then pulled" that" off, it would be a money tree.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Toddly
[Linked Image]
He made a perfect hinge.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
looks like the guy was MAYBE not sure it would work that well. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by T LEE
He got bigger balls than I.

I just know it would have hit the house, not the shed either if that had been me.

If I tried it the tree would've twisted and wiped them both out.

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looks like it took out part of the deck on the other side of the tree when it hit... but that was a small sacrifice compared to what could've happened.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In about 1935, I watched some guys in St Stephens, Alabama, take down the huge oak in front of the parsonage where we lived. Along with a lot of sweaty back-and-forth with the two-man saw, they had a big tractor in the field across the road keeping a huge-a-honkin' hawser pulling hard on the upper bole of that old oak.

No one was surprised when it fell exactly the way that they wanted it to fall.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have done that many times but usually with the disclaimer to the owner that it may be cheaper to fix a pos shed than spend a few hours rigging it down with no drop zone. A wider face usually keeps the hinge intact and steering all the way to the ground and nixes butt swing after smackdown. Chaining the butt to the stump is also in the toolbag for tight quarters but with all that being said, the power of prayer shown by the cutter at the end of the video is usually the determining factor in success.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
In about 1935, I watched some guys in St Stephens, Alabama, take down the huge oak in front of the parsonage where we lived...

Pastor's kid?

We have more in common than I thought. grin

Lutheran here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
In about 1935, I watched some guys in St Stephens, Alabama, take down the huge oak in front of the parsonage where we lived...

Pastor's kid?

We have more in common than I thought. grin

Lutheran here.

Methodist � in days when the old Methodist Episcopal Church - South (long before the merger that formed the UMC) moved its circuit pastors a lot � reassigned 'em annually � some times back to their current appointments, often to somewhere else.

Dad had two traits that doomed us to move often �
� He'd accept appointments that everyone else rejected.
� He had a knack for reuniting split churches (usually within a few months) that others had been unable to do anything with.

Then at the next Annual Conference, there was a long line of guys clamoring and campaigning to be appointed there � and there was some other appointment that everybody except The Reverend Edgar A Howell would have nothing to do with.

Incidentally, as a circuit pastor, Dad was usually the pastor of several churches at a time.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Toddly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bloodworks
Have done that many times but usually with the disclaimer to the owner that it may be cheaper to fix a pos shed than spend a few hours rigging it down with no drop zone. A wider face usually keeps the hinge intact and steering all the way to the ground and nixes butt swing after smackdown. Chaining the butt to the stump is also in the toolbag for tight quarters but with all that being said, the power of prayer shown by the cutter at the end of the video is usually the determining factor in success.
Sounds like you have been around that block before!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I feel like that was to have been an ooops video and the tree didn't cooperate.

Bet money he couldn't do it three out of five times

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Boxer???

my thoughts also Shrap, but Schtick doesn't have hair on his head, that guy did....plus that guy looked taller than 4 ft 13 inches...

besides Schtick has a bigger chain saw...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Toddly
[Linked Image]
He made a perfect hinge.

tree didn't touch the trailer or the outhouse...

of course he could have dropped the tree away from the house and the outhouse, in the opposite direction, but that would have required a little advance thought to it all..

or cut it off higher and then cut the lower section left...
but that would have required a little thought also...

note he still smashed the end of the deck there tho..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd also have some serious concerns about bounce after it hit the ground. There's still a lot of energy left of the branch configuration decides to kick things around. A good job there, but his reactions suggest there might have been a bit or worry involved.

1Minute
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It is pretty clear to me this was a stunt cut for video. One the power lines are down. Two as already stated the deck was taken out. Three anyone that really knows how to take down a tree in that spot would start from the top. Last it is pretty clear the tree was pulled with a mechanical advantage.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice job, no damage, dropped trees at my place once, dad and I did one that was right at the corner of it, right beside the neighbours also, he was no logger, but he had the skills from growing up and cutting his own firewood, so had no worries, but not all can do it thats for sure.
That is the problem with living so close to neighbours in the suburbs, not much space between houses.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Takes nerve if the place is lived in. Maybe it's not, just a stunt.

LOL
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (Akhutr, 358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.