-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In November I will be flying from KY to Utah for a little hunting trip with some good friends.

I was wanting to take a couple of fixed blades and maybe a folder. I'll admit I haven't read the regs of the airlines I was flying but was wondering for those of you that have flown with knives if it was much of a hassle or not?

I'm plan on taking some Menefee and probably one of my Alan Davis EDC knives. I will be flying with a couple of rifles in a Pelican case, so I could make room in there. I have also kicked around the idea of mailing them in a flat rate box to my buddy's house and skip the flying with them thing.

Any thoughts?

Brad

Last edited by busterhindend; 06/30/14.

Michael Jordan once told me that no one likes name droppers.

I would like to give a shout out to sidewalks for keeping me off the streets
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check the regs to be sure, but I have flown around and then some with the knifes secured in either the gun case or the main luggage.

No problem - one time through New York JFC taught me better to go through Minneapolis St. Paul henceforth, but only for the main dragging of feet going on there...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've always packed them in checked luggage and never had a problem.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've always packed them in checked luggage and never had a problem.

Yes ... the answer is to just put them in checked luggage.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Checked Luggage. No problems. YET!!!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Put them in with the rifles, the case will be locked.

Haven't decided on one yet
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a fairly cheap crkt stolen out of my checked baggage once. Didn't realize until later and wasn't worth the effort to fight them on it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't go anywhere without a pocketknife, even to the john.

After the EU got one of mine (even before 9/11!), and TSA got another(just post-9/11) AND the airlines started charging $25 extra each way for checked bags (I NEVER checked a bag except to carry a knife or gun), I began mailing the knife to my first hotel ahead of time, marked "HOLD for guest Mike Armstrong, arriving --/--/--.

I use cheapo padded mailers bought in bulk from Costco, and always bring the return one pre-addressed and stamped with me so I can mail the knife to my home address on leaving for home. SO FAR (sound of arthritic knuckles knocking on wood), it has worked like a charm. The hassle, postage, and envelopes cost a LOT less than the $50 carry-on roundtrip fees, and I don't have to wait at the stupid "baggage carrousel"! Just a thought.

BUT (the BIG butt), if you are going to Italy, just take enough dough to buy yourself a nice "Fox" brand folder and bring it home for a souvenir afterward. Ditto Argentina and "Arbolito"!

Last edited by Mesa; 07/04/14.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Checked baggage.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
OK for those who have luggage enough to have to check it. I don't and the airlines I use the most charge $50 for one checked bag, round trip. Postage for a pocket knife is usually under $5 round trip.

BTW, I wouldn't mail really expensive or large knives. Checked baggage would then be worth it. I'm usually mailing my old bone handled Case "Canoe".

Last edited by Mesa; 07/04/14.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Brad,
I'd be tempted to mail them. I did that a couple of years back, when flying to Europe. Just sent them ahead, and picked them up in Germany. Brought them back in my checked luggage though, as it was just easier and quicker.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Brad,
I'd be tempted to mail them. I did that a couple of years back, when flying to Europe. Just sent them ahead, and picked them up in Germany. Brought them back in my checked luggage though, as it was just easier and quicker.

I'm kind of leaning that way. Been talking to my buddy that I'll be hunting with and I may be sending some other stuff ahead anyways. So I may just send these and insure them so I'll have a tracking number and peace of mind. I had two rifles that got bounced around last year. Just trying to minimize my exposure.

Thanks for all of the replies

Brad

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Brown show polish, underwear and Ziploc. Never lost one yet. wink

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Brown show polish, underwear and Ziploc. Never lost one yet. wink

Clever.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mesa
OK for those who have luggage enough to have to check it. I don't and the airlines I use the most charge $50 for one checked bag, round trip. Postage for a pocket knife is usually under $5 round trip.

BTW, I wouldn't mail really expensive or large knives. Checked baggage would then be worth it. I'm usually mailing my old bone handled Case "Canoe".

... $50 for one checked bag shocked Since 9-11 , I only fly if work requires it. Which has been twice. Both times I put the knife in checked bags without any problems.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 358winner
Put them in with the rifles, the case will be locked.
This is what I do also.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I usually just put one in the checked luggage or rifle case if I'm hunting. I also like to try to pick up one on the trip as a souvenir. I have found some good ones doing that. A Ruana utility knife was found in Hawaii and I found a good hunting knife made by Lloyd Hale in Seattle.

Harry
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Lost a $185 Blade Tech Pro Hunter to TSA in checked baggage. Post 9/11.

I know only check cheaper knives and write a note to TSA saying GFY,and place it under the pocket clip.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (10Glocks, 44mc, 470Evans, 7887mm08, 35, 16 invisible), 1,551 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,453
Posts18,507,962
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.