Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by macrabbit
Data is one thing, thorough understanding of the process is another.
To me, the number of dribbles of powder someone else used is of little importance.

I've been at it for many years but if I were starting out I would strongly consider an instructional CD and this inexpensive little book which is caliber specific for each Cartridge you plan to load for without being limited to those of one mfg.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Loadbooks-USA-Caliber-Gauge-Specific-Reloading-Manuals/704597.uts

Before it's all said and done you will have several.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by macrabbit
Data is one thing, thorough understanding of the process is another.
To me, the number of dribbles of powder someone else used is of little importance.

I've been at it for many years but if I were starting out I would strongly consider an instructional CD and this inexpensive little book which is caliber specific for each Cartridge you plan to load for without being limited to those of one mfg.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Loadbooks-USA-Caliber-Gauge-Specific-Reloading-Manuals/704597.uts

Before it's all said and done you will have several.

I was planning to get all the basics from my pastor who reloads and was once a competition high power shooter. That little book is very inexpensive though and I will probably pick a couple up. I appreciate the heads up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I was planning to get all the basics from my pastor who reloads and was once a competition high power shooter.

Well and good, and he might tell you much and well, but your having, in black and white, available for future reference, logically laid out and presented, most everything from A to Z, would be invaluable. Get a major manual, too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the best resources you have is right here on the 'Fire.

Look at tresmon's "stickys" at the top of the reloading page.

I think you'll learn more here on the forum by reading those, asking questions in Threads, and by DOING than any other way. The loading manuals are good sources of info as well, but there's no substitute for hands-on experience after you read.

I attribute much of what I know to a couple of friends on forums like these. Shortened the learning curve for sure and I'm indebted...

smile

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J4K Offline
Like many others have said...Lyman #49 is a very good manual to have around. I also like having a manual from whatever bullet I'm using. It never hurts to have a few references lying around.

NRA
NFOA
IC B2

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I started with the Lee manual. I had no friends who loaded at the time and it got me safely on the path.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
The best thing a new reloader can do is buy 3 or 4 different used reloading books cheap at a gun show, take them home and read what they have to say about reloading ---before you even look at the data pages.
Each will have some area they go into more detail in and as a sum all will contribute to your education.
Then start your reloading regimen from there.
Notice the differences in the data from book to book. Use some common sense in where you start your loads and work up carefully paying attention to your brass and velocities (IE: buy a chronograph).
Remember that every gun is different and every new container of components is suspect to variation from the last.
Only buy a new manual if you really need it.

And there you have it.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of the powder manufacturers wil give you data with their powder and different brands/styles of bullets. The bullet manufacturers will give you data with their bullets and different powders. The good news is that a lot of these recipes are free on line. A beginning reloader should get at least 1 or 2
printed manuals and read thoroughly the sections on procedure, safety, and how to set up and use your equipment. Read them several times,develop a routine, and stick to it.

Last edited by 308ragincajun; 07/05/14.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You've got possibly the best press ever made so why not start out with the best book, Nosler. Then later you might want to invest in several others.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by hotdog
RH,if you are just getting started one book I would recommend is, The ABC'S Of Reloading.

Probably the best suggestion.
Avoid the single caliber manuals. They are fine for data but have NONE of the background information that a beginning reloader needs. As an example ABC's of Reloading is ALL background. And every reloader should reread it every few years (you would be surprised how much and what you forget).

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 32 invisible), 1,956 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,981
Posts18,499,644
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.