Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thought this would be a good discussion for this board

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/07/03/army-wants-harder-hitting-pistol/?intcmp=features

They want something more powerful that does more damage. So what gun and what caliber do you think meets their needs?

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've heard that before, at least two programs to replace the M9 have come up and went away. Both times they decided to just buy more M9's. Although now that we're out of the wars for the most part, it would seem the time is about right to take on this project.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I seriously doubt they re-instate the .45acp. Too many women and limp-wristers in the military these days. I would almost guarantee it will be the .40S&W. No real guesses on the platform but I imagine it will be a plastic fantastic. The .357 Sig would be an interesting choice but I think that would pretty much mean Glock only.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No way it will be a 1911, even though it's a better choice than the M9. My bet will be either the HK45, or the P227.

Much as we all like the 1911, it's going to be hard for any military officer to walk up to a Congresscritter or bureaucrat and say, we want a 103 year old design smirk even if they say it's "reimagined" or whatever smile

If I were Colt, think I'd borrow a page from Sig, and build a 1911 Rail Gun with a slightly wider and longer grip, to allow 10+1 rounds, then pitch that to the military. And I'd call it the Model of 2014.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 07/03/14. Reason: add last sentence

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Interesting article. The question I have is what about NATO standardization? shocked Every other country in the world is issuing the 9x19. It works for them. With handguns, it comes down to shot placement, and of the calibers in use today, the 9mm is the easiest to score hits with. It also gives you the largest reservoir of ammunition. The should spend the money on training. Police department around the country are going back to the 9mm.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In a plastic frame gun, I've found the .40's recoil more than the .45's because the .40's are in smaller frame guns. And the .40's tend to not hold up well, where the .45's do.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My money is on a Gock 40. I wouldn't want one, but the military hasn't been requesting my input...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
Police department around the country are going back to the 9mm.

Police departments utilize much better ammuntion than the military does. The military needs to replace the M9 with a modern striker fired 9mm like a Glock 17, full size M&P, or the new H&K VP9. Then, issue something 124 grain Gold Dots for combat and relegate the current 124 grain NATO FMJ load to training.

If they're sticking with FMJ ammo, then go back to the .45 in a modern platform.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jds44

Police departments utilize much better ammuntion than the military does. The military needs to replace the M9 with a modern striker fired 9mm like a Glock 17, full size M&P, or the new H&K VP9. Then, issue something 124 grain Gold Dots for combat and relegate the current 124 grain NATO FMJ load to training.

If they're sticking with FMJ ammo, then go back to the .45 in a modern platform.

The Geneva Convention requires FMJ ammo

I would think they would stick to an all steel gun, I am not questioning Glocks, Smiths, ect on quality but will a polymer gun hold up in harsh combat? Up to and including sand and God knows what else getting inside

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Boococky

That's an old wives tale...

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I would think they would stick to an all steel gun, I am not questioning Glocks, Smiths, ect on quality but will a polymer gun hold up in harsh combat? Up to and including sand and God knows what else getting inside

The Geneva convention does not address munitions, The Hague accord does.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
No way it will be a 1911, even though it's a better choice than the M9. My bet will be either the HK45, or the P227.
SIG P-227 would be an excellent choice.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwp475

The Geneva convention does not address munitions, The Hague accord does.

My mistake, thanks for clarifying

-Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
In a plastic frame gun, I've found the .40's recoil more than the .45's because the .40's are in smaller frame guns. And the .40's tend to not hold up well, where the .45's do.

I watched a 40 Glock whip a big burly SRT type's azz for three days on a Roger's Range. They gave him a 9mm Glock and he started hitting plates.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is going to come down to the cost of the guns, accessories and replacement parts, the believability of the promises made by the winning supplier (whether actually true or not), whose state/district is going to get the factory and other jobs, and what some out of touch, high and mighty mucky mucks and their committee people think about the guns.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Much as we all like the 1911, it's going to be hard for any military officer to walk up to a Congresscritter or bureaucrat and say, we want a 103 year old design smirk even if they say it's "reimagined" or whatever smile

If I were Colt, think I'd borrow a page from Sig, and build a 1911 Rail Gun with a slightly wider and longer grip, to allow 10+1 rounds, then pitch that to the military. And I'd call it the Model of 2014.

Add the P220 or a mod there of and I agree

Cause it will need an external safty

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I guess that revolvers are no longer in consideration, but I think that one might be a fine solution. A rugged Ruger GP 100 in .357 would be a reasonable choice. Or a single or double action in .45 Colt or .45 ACP. A revolver could use metal-jacketed bullets with effective flat noses and not have any issues with unreliable feeding. In double action, speedloaders are not an unreasonable way to reload. I will not be surprised if the Army does not take any notice of these suggestions however, as they never requested my opinion during the 21 years I was a soldier.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

That's an old wives tale...

Thank you for that

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
SIG P-227 would be an excellent choice.

Our Troopers can't wait to get the Sigs. The Cadets have them now

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A side arm is such a waste of space in combat.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (204guy, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 222ND, 62 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,588
Posts18,473,420
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.