Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am thinking that there will be no change in caliber. The girls and nancy boys that are filling the service rosters now can't shoot anything with power, and as was mentioned, NO handgun cartridge is really a stopper.
I'm betting that they have been hoarding all the .22 LR ammo, with plans in mind to switch to that caliber. laugh

You may have a point Sam.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the lethality of handgun ammo, obviously an article or two has been written on that, but back around 1913 or so the Germans figured out that if they put a small flat point on their 9mm Parabellum it gave the bullet a far greater shocking effect than a round nose. IIRC the picture accompanying that article showed a truncated cone with a tiny flat point by today's standards, but even that produces a greater trauma than a round nose that pushes aside tissue.

Be that as it may, a lot of handgunners over the years have proven the worth of a flat point SWC style bullet on game of all types. As long as the military has to stay with a FMJ, is there any convention or treaty that says it has to be a round nose?

[Linked Image]

On the other issue, as much as I like the old 1911 it's probably time to go to a Glock since they definitely keep on shooting. Probably need to have a frame mounted ambi-safety ala the 1911. Maybe add a cocking indicator. And a grip safety. Hmm, anybody ever looked at a Springfield XD? wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This quote, taken from the aforementioned article, reveals the illusion of a man stopper handgun cartridge, except, of course, for Rancho_Loco. He teaches the experts all about the great myth of mangun stoppers.

"I don't think anybody would argue that shot placement is the most important for terminal ballistics," Langdon said. "Even though you say a .45 is better than a 9mm, it's still a pistol caliber. Chances are if it is a determined adversary, they are going to have to be shot multiple times regardless of the caliber."

That with the greatest probability of of ending a gunfight is a CNS hit, and that's not 100%, exclusive of the cerebellum. A bad guy with his heart no longer pumping can live 8 seconds, long enough to make a good guy room temperature.

The only sure way of surviving a gunfight is to not get in one. That's my primary rule of gunfighting. I'll avoid and walk away.

One of my rules for 98.6 degrees -it's way up there in terms of importance but I'm not sure of its numerical rank- is that in defensive handguns, bigger is better. The more blood out & the more air in and the faster they occur the better.

Back on topic: I'm with you here, Mink. Army should have never abandoned its loyal, tried, and true friend. The 1911A1 in .45 ACP is the king of battle handguns, except, of course, for Rancho_Loco.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by 4ager

Frankly, it probably will be the Glock ...

With a thumb safety and a magazine disconnect.

Probably a good idea. The thumb safety already exists.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I wonder how many servicable 1911's the army still has on hand. I'll bet they have enough to arm everyone who carries a handgun.

I'm sure the armorers would be thrilled.

Travis
That's what they're paid to do. If they don't like it, they can apply for a transfer. Isn't that what we hear on 24hr every day?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mink: I knew the transition (bribery?) to the 9mm was not going to be successful back when it happened.
Shame so much tax dollars will be wasted.
The 1911 45 is hard to beat for combat/self defense.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by brymoore

No, they didn't. Heavy as [bleep], 8rd capacity. It's time has passed. Model A trucks are cool too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is the Obama administration. I'd be careful they don't give the military some of these in .38 Long Colt.

[Linked Image]

Oh, well, as long as we don't fight any Moros it should be okay...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

On the other issue, as much as I like the old 1911 it's probably time to go to a Glock since they definitely keep on shooting. Probably need to have a frame mounted ambi-safety ala the 1911. Maybe add a cocking indicator. And a grip safety. Hmm, anybody ever looked at a Springfield XD? wink

Yes, and just like Sigs, they don't hold up, yet. The XD is a new platform, and might just be the one to beat. Nothing Sig makes will hold up, and they are an armorer's nightmare.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by brymoore

Yep.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My son is in an outfit with the Navy and he uses the 45 acp in what ever pistol/suppressor he likes at the moment.
But they are chambered in 45.
Seems that the Marines were going back to that caliber a while back.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mink

"The M9 doesn't meet it for a multitude of reasons," Easlick said. "It's got reliability issues; the open slide design allows contaminates in. The slide-mounted safety doesn't do well when you are trying to clear a stoppage -- you inadvertently de-cock and safe the weapon system."

I figured this out the first 15 minutes I had one of these in hand.

I don't ever see anything replacing my 1911 45.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The original solicitation outlines some of the features the Corps stipulated, such as a single-stack, 7+ round magazine, drop in parts replacement and accuracy guidelines. It remains to be seen how many of these points made it into the requirements document and the actual pistol, however. For example, drop-in parts on a 1911 pattern pistol is widely regarded as an unrealistic requirement.

Does this mean that parts have to be hand fitted?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
On shot placement:

Of course, excellent shot placement is desired. But it has to be good guy shot placement. Bad guy shot placement must be avoided if a good guy wants to go home. Therefore, it is better to not hit the bad guy (tactical movement) if the bad guy doesn't hit the good guy. Hence, a good guy trading his life for a bad guy's ain't a wise gunfight rule.

If you're in a gunfight, it's because a bad guy wants to kill you. It's a pretty wise idea to not help him accomplish his goal. Therefore, never be a good target. Weaver stance, target acquisition, sight alignment, squeeze trigger is old school that should've never made it to class.

Another good gunfight rule that seems to predominate is O'Reilly's Postulate: Murphy was an optimist!

I ain't sure, but I think guys were gun slingers of practical gunfightin' knowledge of the 70's:

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
This is the Obama administration. I'd be careful they don't give the military some of these in .38 Long Colt.

[Linked Image]

Oh, well, as long as we don't fight any Moros it should be okay...

Recommendation direct from the Oval Office. sick
[Linked Image]

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
The original solicitation outlines some of the features the Corps stipulated, such as a single-stack, 7+ round magazine, drop in parts replacement and accuracy guidelines. It remains to be seen how many of these points made it into the requirements document and the actual pistol, however. For example, drop-in parts on a 1911 pattern pistol is widely regarded as an unrealistic requirement.

Does this mean that parts have to be hand fitted?

Duhh! This has ALWAYS been a requirement for a 1911. That is why that gun costs over two grand

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by sackett
Would be nice to see them back with the .45, but I see them going with a .40. No real reason other than they will use the excuse that they could use LEO's ammo, which around here seems to be predominantly .40 cal.
Whichever they go with, stock up on ammo and components NOW.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
SF CIF companies went to Glocks, both 9mm and 40 S&W, quite a while back. They can access Army inventory 9mm for training and carry the 40's for combat.

As you stated, the gun NEEDS to be a double stack. A Glock 21 is too big for many.

Going back to a 1911 would be like going back to Cocoran Jump Boots and cotton shelter-halves. They both sucked way back when, and they would suck even harder today. The Quantico-built 1911's the MARSOC guys had broke constantly. Their new guns cost over two-grand each, and the one MARSOC guy I talked to recently said he'd swap it for a Glock in a heartbeat.

THE answer, IMO, is a Glock 37 in 45 GAP. That by-passes the large frame issue (G19/17 frame size), has adequate capacity (ten rounds) is cheap, and most importantly, won't break. The Army doesn't have much 45acp ammo left, or 9mm for that matter. Current ammo stores could be quickly depleted by current service guns as the new guns/ammo were brought on line.

You really believe your own line of schit. You are a complete idiot

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I have reviewed a lot of officer involved shootings in the course of the last 10 years or so. 45 ACP, 40 SW, 9mm, 10mm, 38 Special, 44 Special, 44 Magnum, 357 Magnum. Every one of those calibers has failed to stop armed felons before the felons could do more harm. I've debriefed a bunch of cops and military personnel who have given me their stories freely, and the common denominator is shot placement.

Unless you put your handgun bullets into vital anatomy, they won't do any good. Police departments that train their officers in anatomically correct shot placement have found caliber isn't as important as they thought it was.

45 ACP is not the answer, nor is the 1911. I think the 45 is a great cartridge and it would be my choice if I were the guy choosing it. A modernized update of the 1911 single stack concept such as the SIG P220 would be a good choice, but so would others.

The answer lies in training, not in hardware. Our SF guys know this, as do a lot of the better PD's in America.

Spot on Doc..

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 22 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.