Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Toss up between Montana and Idaho but since only one of those is on your list then Montana it is.

You asked us to justify our selection....

MT has and abundance of tree's and mountains that give you a scenery that you can't get in the other State's listed. Land is affordable and abundant.

The hunting and fishing avialable is second to only Alaska maybe....

The politics in all of the listed states are Conservative, except for Colorado, so there isn't too much difference there.

So it really comes down to scenery and climate...

Montana is a State of extreme's as far as weather goes, but there are pockets here and there around the state that offer pretty stable and consistent weather. Winter and Summer alike can be mild which means more time outdoors in comfort.

I really enjoy the view of the mountains and being surrounded by tree's for as far as the eye can see. Neither the Dakota's or Wyoming can offer that...

Yeah, Alaska doesn't have any trees or mountains whistle
yup... he must of missed this one I took last Monday ... [Linked Image]

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You would have both in SD.

W River 105 30% humidity
E River 85 90% humidity plus a few insects

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Montana - late Spring, Summer, and Autumn for hunting and fishing.

Texas - Winter and early spring for the weather and to make a living and have great food.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
This is all anyone needs to know about Idaho, in case any were thinking of moving here.

[Linked Image]

+1 We're full of rednecks and freaks. There is program where qualifying candidates are allowed in if they provide voting records and forcibly remove liberals from the state at a 4 to 1 ratio.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, Alaska has rain forests and deserts and everything in between.

SE still had 7 1/2 hours of sun in the worse of winter.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wrangell is definitely doable.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Indeed, triple digits are very common in South Dakota.I would rather have a dry 100 than a humid 85.

Depends on where you live in South Dakota. grin "The land of infinite variety." And what's wrong with flat anyway? Though we do have some change in terrain here. Nicolette called it Coteau Des Prairies - hills of the prairie. Glacier leftovers, makes for some nice lakes.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wyoming (freedom but harsh winters)
Montana (No sales tax , but rent instead of buy)
Colorado (Great weather, great mountains, too many liberals)
South Dakota (Only 1/8 the state worth living in)
Alaska (Too far from family, great everything except winter)

North Dakota (Are you kidding me?)

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 07/02/14.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a couple hundred miles north of right where I am now

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

[Linked Image]

grin grin grin

You forgot to include pics of Idaho's Grizzly Artificial Insemination Team (mauled and chewed-up of course), and of Jackson the smartass-jackass. smirk wink

Wyoming or Spudiho - places to live; truly CONSERVATIVE politics abd VALUES, right to work states, cold enough to keep social entitlement parasites at a minimum, and of course GREAT GUN LAWS and excellent hunting and fishing and rural life.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a better list:

States with no income tax:

Alaska
Florida
Nevada
South Dakota
Texas
Washington
Wyoming

States with nearly no income tax:

Tennessee
New Hampshire

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not paying ANY state income tax in TN. I don't know what the "nearly no" is you stated.

We do have a really sjhitty sales tax here, nearly 10% after individual counties are allowed to tack on another penny per dollar

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1. Tennessee

Tennessee has no income tax but does have a "hall tax" -- that is, a 6% tax on interest and dividends, which is specifically allowed by the state constitution. Tennessee also has a 7% sales tax. Income taxes are a contentious issue in Tennessee. The state constitution gives the government the right to tax property as well as income from stocks and bonds, but it does not mention personal income. Every so often lawmakers try to institute an income tax, as the constitution does not specifically bar this. This November, Tennesseans will vote on an amendment to the state constitution to ban any future taxes on payroll or personal income.

While Tennessee has no income tax on wages, if you are a retiree living off of dividends and interest income, you should think twice before moving to Tennessee for the tax benefits. In 2011, the average per-capita state and local tax paid was $2,777, according to the Tax Foundation -- the second-lowest in the U.S.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jumping to the end to reply and will go back and read the rest. Eastern South Dakota is the only one on that list that I have been to, and I can't see living out the rest of my days there. The people were very nice but the wind blows too much for me. I will live out the rest of my days here in Arkansas. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alaska, I think the reason is obvious.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I would say Alaska, first. I lived there and should have never left when I did. Second choice Montana for the fly fishing thou I could give the Black Hills of South Dakota some serious thought, excellent trout fishing and will plenty of pheasants to shoot. The problem is most of the places I would like to live are not much for making a living. I don't like towns that have more that 600 people living in it. Now to retire to one of these places well that is a whole different story. Mainly I am happy with the trout fishing near my place and the deer hunting that can be had, other that being the Second worse state in the Union. Its not bad in my little corner of Connecticut.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Namibia, Africa

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kroo88

Funny, my bad, thought you meant East River was too urban and W River was too flat.
Grew up in Rapid and left there 15 yrs ago. As you describe,it had lost it's small town feel.

The bathroom in that Walmart you refer to, was the nastiest public bathroom I've ever smelled. The natives have that effect on such places.

I shudder even thinking about 'that' restroom, if it can even be called such. Feces smeared across the wall, over six feet high, was the deal breaker for me.

Went into that bathroom today and it was so clean that I was tempted to pinch a loaf, in hopes it would keep the riff-raff out of the Black Hills. ;-{>8

Fraid you ain't ever gonna be happy, George.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In no particular order:

Colorado
Montana
South Dakota
North Dakota
Alaska
Wyoming

Please justify why

Already live here...occupancy is full.. no vacancy.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I may be the only one, but out of your list, I'd pick NoDak. There's room to spread out, good folks, taxes won't kill you, the economy is booming, and there is plenty for the outdoorsman to do. It's flat, but not Nebraska flat.

I go out nearly every year for ducks and pheasants. I see deer everywhere. People are damn friendly, but also have the sense enough to leave you alone too. Winters are harsh, but that doesn't faze me anymore. And all the western states are within a days drive for more hunting. wink

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (219DW, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 1,637 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,993
Posts18,520,295
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.