Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
There is no shame in someone getting the answer before you.
All the army needs to do is follow the Corps example.
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I wonder how many servicable 1911's the army still has on hand. I'll bet they have enough to arm everyone who carries a handgun.

From what I remember, Slick Willie had all the Military 1911's cut up for scrap metal while he was in office, as he did not want them sold as Military Surplus, like M1 Garrands, were.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I'd like to meet the man who took seven 230grain hydroshocks and wouldn't go down..I want him ony zone dodge team!

Crack vs. multiple hits = oh scheist!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dodgefan
The problem is that outside of selected outfits, most people in the military don't shoot much. When I was in the regular Army we did rifle qual once a year (maybe 200 rounds) and if you were issued a pistol it was considerably less ammo then that.

I understand that part. Unfortunately tha tmeans folks issued a 22 pistol would suck easily as well as a 9 or 45

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was at Beretta armorers school between the two military tests for the 9mm contract competition. Beretta won the first, S&W cried foul and Beretta won the re-test.
The 9mm was accepted to be more NATO compliant, carry more rounds per pound and to allow for success to the non-shooters in the military.
I guess they have changed their mind.

Same government thinking that created the 10mm after the Miami bank robbery debacle. No plain clothes FBI's wanted to carry it, it was too heavy and hard to conceal. Hence, the birth of the 40S&W.

Now, where did the phrase FUBAR come from? Never mind.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 07/03/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I wonder how many servicable 1911's the army still has on hand. I'll bet they have enough to arm everyone who carries a handgun.

From what I remember, Slick Willie had all the Military 1911's cut up for scrap metal while he was in office, as he did not want them sold as Military Surplus, like M1 Garrands, were.

He didn't get the 3 trees in the armory at Camp Foster in Okinawa.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I was a unit armorer back in the day (late '70s, early '80s) and the 20 1911A1s in our armsroom were worn-out beyond repair, in all reality.

35-40 years of "training" with them, and some usage, and they were all but historical relics. I only had FIVE of the twenty, that we could qualify with, the others weren't functional. I tried to get them fixed "No parts available" was the tired old refrain back then.

The only parts I could get from upper echelon depots were magazines and the brown plastic grips. That was IT.

As I was supposed to be issued one, "if the balloon went up", I bought myself a LWT Commander and learned to shoot it.

Maybe the Army could rebuild a passel of them, but those I had weren't going to be rebuilt, they were good for scrap only.

If you couldn't get parts, how do you konw they were not repairable? I'm not saying you are wrong, but asking for repair parts indicates the thought they were serviceable. Not getting parts is different than a piece that can't be repaired.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Because, it was the Army that said so, and it was the Carter era, and that was that.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
I did 24 years in the military. Shot both the M1911A1 and the M9. Here's my two cents... There's no sense in issuing new pistol of any caliber unless and until the military properly trains the troops to use them. Small arms training is minimal, short, and poor. The pistol is only a tool.

Absolutely. The Army is too full of its own institutional stupid to acknowledge that the familiarization they teach isn't gunfighting doctrine and that they need to look outside their organization to the one's who've gotten it right.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
One thing glaringly missing from the story was any real discussion of bullets vs. caliber. As long as our troops are mandated to use ball ammo instead of modern LEO JHP ammo, common sense dictates... The bigger the hole, the better. Another vote for .45 ACP here, regardless of platform.

The surest way to increase handgun lethality against insurgents would to issue 9mm ammo with expanding bullets. Terrorists are not party to the Geneva Convention.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Personally, I think the .357 Sig round would be the optimum caliber for Military use. Better Penatration and bigger round capacity, or the ability to carry more rounds in the handgun platform. But those in charge of securing Military Contracts are not known for IQ or common sense. So we can pretty much rule out them going to a handgun in .357 Sig.

Here's what I posted on the other thread on the same subject :

The Military will buy the cheapest POS with the lowest bid, just like they did with the M9. They won't buy Sigs because they are too expensive. They won't buy 1911's because they are too expensive.

It will come down to either the S&W M&P or the Glock, IMO.

It would be nice if they went with a an American MFG, for a change.
Personally, I'd prefer the Ruger SR9 or SR45 over any M&P or better yet, a Ruger 1911, in .45 acp, of course.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/03/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They had the best and schitt-canned it!!

DUMBAZZES!!

Dumb [bleep] in the USARMY and politics is why we got stuck with a friggin 'turtle gun' for a Service Rifle!!

Last edited by RMulhern; 07/03/14.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The Army hadn't bought any M1911A1 pistols since WW2. The ones I used to shoot were worn out junk. They had to be replaced after forty years on use.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I understand this was invented to use against modern body armor. I've seen one of these in civilian mode used and boy is it loud. In police and military mode it's available in in full auto. It must be a real blaster.

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/handguns/five-seven/

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how they'll convince NATO to join? Germany is still really butthurt that we rejected their 5.7mm

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
One thing glaringly missing from the story was any real discussion of bullets vs. caliber. As long as our troops are mandated to use ball ammo instead of modern LEO JHP ammo, common sense dictates... The bigger the hole, the better. Another vote for .45 ACP here, regardless of platform.

The surest way to increase handgun lethality against insurgents would to issue 9mm ammo with expanding bullets. Terrorists are not party to the Geneva Convention.

Yep Speer Gold Dots or Federal HST's would fix the problem...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
As to one posters statement about using hollow points...

Link

Phil

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

They just sent some out to rural PDs and Sheriff's Dept's awhile back, last year, along with M16A1s, and vehicles. Slick Willie didn't have them scrapped.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gmsemel
I don't buy the Chicago cop shooting a guy 8 times with a 45 and Hyda-Shok, more like 7 misses and one hit. The 45 has a long track record of ending a fight right quick, the only thing is that you have to be able to shoot in the first place. An updated 1911 would be what I would look at. But this gets very very political, the last time they Adopted the Beretta, and from what I understood at the time, the Europeans bought more F-16's or said they would. It this current war, the rules really don't apply since the enemy is a stateless combatant, the last thing I would worry about is offending The guys in Geneva or The Hague! The object is to kill the enemy and not die ourselves.

From what I understand we didn't sign the part that restricts the bullets. They just stupidly chose to follow it.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My vote is for an AR pistol. Same ammo. Same magazines. Seriously, why not?
Give them a single point sling so they can hang it under their arm or off their LBE.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,807
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.