Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by conrad101st
My vote is for an AR pistol. Same ammo. Same magazines. Seriously, why not?
Give them a single point sling so they can hang it under their arm or off their LBE.

Seriously you would want them to carry an M4 and then another AR pistol? Why not just shoot them with the M4?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not for riflemen, just for people who don't have a rifle. Same concept as the M1 carbine or the grease gun.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yup, every time I take a POS Glock apart I realize it probably costs about 50 cents to make them, but a Glock 17 or 19 is a shootin machine. I have tried every 10mm, and 45ACP they make and just don't like them. The 40's are good but snappy and I would not shoot reloads in them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by reelman
Seriously you would want them to carry an M4 and then another AR pistol? Why not just shoot them with the M4?

That leads to an interesting point, with that little M4 available what would (should) the military expect of a pistol for general issue anyway? Personally I wouldn't want to bring a pistol to an assault weapon fight. Firepower, accuracy, body armor, weak cover and all that sort of stuff.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
45acp, but not a 1911. Glock or S+W M+P. I know the Glock will stand the trials, even though I prefer the S+W myself.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Because, it was the Army that said so, and it was the Carter era, and that was that.

So they were repairable then.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Personally, I think the .357 Sig round would be the optimum caliber for Military use. Better Penatration and bigger round capacity, or the ability to carry more rounds in the handgun platform. But those in charge of securing Military Contracts are not known for IQ or common sense. So we can pretty much rule out them going to a handgun in .357 Sig.

Here's what I posted on the other thread on the same subject :

The Military will buy the cheapest POS with the lowest bid, just like they did with the M9. They won't buy Sigs because they are too expensive. They won't buy 1911's because they are too expensive.

It will come down to either the S&W M&P or the Glock, IMO.

It would be nice if they went with a an American MFG, for a change.
Personally, I'd prefer the Ruger SR9 or SR45 over any M&P or better yet, a Ruger 1911, in .45 acp, of course.

I think Ruger should still pay for Bill's anti gun stance in the 90s... and not get the contract, but then again, a US gun vs a foreign one, maybe I can forget the 90s.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by brymoore

Yep.

All this was studied from 1898 to 1908.

Improvments:

Truncated FMJ bullets to meet all the rules.
Bump up to +P loads.

The sidearm is not a battle weapon. Simple as that.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I never understood why the 1911 was replace in the first place and the 45 ACP was shelved in favor of the 9mm since NATO countries were using it... the 45 worked well for its intended purpose.. it was reliable and well designed...

another 25 year social experiment by Washington that failed...

I have a 1927 built 45 ACP/1911... I wouldn't trade it for 5 Glocks of the caliber of my choice....this thing is built like a 53 Buick... lot of metal and tough....and the capability of any 45 ACP round needs no explanation unless someone doesn't know squat about a pistol round...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
A pistol is an intermediate weapon who's only purpose is to allow you to fight long enough to acquire a rifle.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
They want low recoil for women troops and/or non-experienced males, penetration of body armor (although maybe not the solid plate armor which even a rifle won't penetrate), high capacity magazines, etc. Lightweight ammo wouldn't hurt either.

I'll make a broad statement and say that for the USA, the 20th Century belonged to the .45 ACP - an auto pistol version of the "big, slow and heavy" .45 Colt. Perhaps in the 21st Century it might be time to look at the 5.7x28.

Uh huh. What do you think the stopping power is like when you can put a 3 round burst into a BG's eyeball at 25 yards?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
with the amount of training and in combat situations, even if the gun is one hole group capable, putting a round or 3 in the head or eye is not in reach for about any of the shooters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK, I'll admit it wasn't a handgun, but a full-auto PS90 with a dot on it takes very little training.

I'd bet I could get 1/2 of a class of girls to hit a golf ball at 25 yards with it within 8 hrs of training.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Give them a single point sling so they can hang it under their arm or off their LBE.

A lot of units do have 10.5in uppers, great for mounted stuff. That is still no substitute for a handgun.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BarryC
OK, I'll admit it wasn't a handgun, but a full-auto PS90 with a dot on it takes very little training.

I'd bet I could get 1/2 of a class of girls to hit a golf ball at 25 yards with it within 8 hrs of training.

That pistol just makes too much sense...

ETA: I was referring to the FN five seven..

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 07/04/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Personally, I think the .357 Sig round would be the optimum caliber for Military use. Better Penatration and bigger round capacity, or the ability to carry more rounds in the handgun platform. But those in charge of securing Military Contracts are not known for IQ or common sense. So we can pretty much rule out them going to a handgun in .357 Sig.

Here's what I posted on the other thread on the same subject :

The Military will buy the cheapest POS with the lowest bid, just like they did with the M9. They won't buy Sigs because they are too expensive. They won't buy 1911's because they are too expensive.

It will come down to either the S&W M&P or the Glock, IMO.

It would be nice if they went with a an American MFG, for a change.
Personally, I'd prefer the Ruger SR9 or SR45 over any M&P or better yet, a Ruger 1911, in .45 acp, of course.

I've always wondered why the 357sig didn't catch on mo better than it did. I have very little interest in hand-guns but that 357sig sure looked like it was the sweet spot for hi-cap plastic guns.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Now that makes a lot of sense based on the types of fighting done today.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not for riflemen, just for people who don't have a rifle. Same concept as the M1 carbine or the grease gun.

That idea is not as crazy as it sounds. I did a quick search and there are a number of companies with models already out there. Sig, KelTec, Rock Island, etc.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by reelman

That leads to an interesting point, with that little M4 available what would (should) the military expect of a pistol for general issue anyway? Personally I wouldn't want to bring a pistol to an assault weapon fight. Firepower, accuracy, body armor, weak cover and all that sort of stuff.

That's an interesting point. I guess in the back of my mind I've been thinking that myself. It would seem any pistol today would have to use armor piercing ammo to be effective.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ringworm
A pistol is an intermediate weapon who's only purpose is to allow you to fight long enough to acquire a rifle.

There's a lot of truth in that statement. if one looks at all the WWII pictures of fighting airborne generals that jumped with the troops they all carry either M-1 Garands or 03 Springfields. In fact, General Ridgeway saved himself from capture because he was carry an M-1 with armor piercing ammo. He was out taking a wiz when he was attacked by a German tank trying to capture him alive. He figured what the hell and shot the tank driver through the tank. The tank went out of control and he escaped. Imagine if all he had was a 1911.

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (Akhutr, beefan, 358wsm, 2500HD, bosshoff, 13 invisible), 1,380 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.