Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Yep the Army is looking for a hardware solution to a software problem. In general the regular Army doesn't need anything special for a pistol. I'm not a Glock fan personally but from what I understand the service life is outstanding. Personally I was fine with the M9 and would of been fine with the Glock or a newer 1911.

My Dad and Uncles carried ruskie and german weaponry in nam-bodia, wore enemy clothing, and got orders from Men called Westy and Plaster. smile

Trump Won!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I know that MACV-SOG packed a variety of weapons. No 2 ways about it those guys were straight up warriors in every sense of the word.
I met a few guys that served in MACV-SOG when I was at Ft Bragg. Even got to meet and BS with a few that did the Son Tay raid.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Some insight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout#Weaponry_and_injuries

I know for a fact, because I had a friend that was in the US Marshall's Service that was involved in testing of handgun rounds shortly after this shootout occurred that all of the various rounds used by the FBI in this incident, including the pistol round that was adopted WOULD NOT penetrate the slanted windshield of a same model Monte Carlo used by the perps. The ONLY ROUND that DID penetrate was the .45 230 gr. hardball!

Why am I not surprised??

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can't remember where I've learned this: officers of foreign, especially Nazi, armies, carried handguns to kill their own soldiers. The US Army adopted the 1911A1 in .45 ACP as a battle weapon to kill soldiers of opposing armies.

Hence, a foreign military officer didn't need a battle weapon to shoot one of his soldiers in the nape of his neck.

It's a no brainer. Get back to the M1911A1 in .45 ACP.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Body armor is and will be more prevalent.

Therefore this....FN 5.7

High caps and easy to shoot.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mink

A new steel 45 acp is the answer to the question. But the real question is will they be able to see that without politics or bean counting figuring in. Doubtful.

YMMV

How many 14-16hr days have you spent in full kit, IE body armor/plates combat load out? Choosing not to reduce an operator's kit by 20 ounces, in a fit of "nostalgia", is straight up stupid. Army SF has already answered this question for themselves, they chose the Glock.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RMulhern
Some insight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout#Weaponry_and_injuries

I know for a fact, because I had a friend that was in the US Marshall's Service that was involved in testing of handgun rounds shortly after this shootout occurred that all of the various rounds used by the FBI in this incident, including the pistol round that was adopted WOULD NOT penetrate the slanted windshield of a same model Monte Carlo used by the perps. The ONLY ROUND that DID penetrate was the .45 230 gr. hardball!

Why am I not surprised??

I seen a few dozen automobile windshields shot with 9mm, from inside the vehicle and from the outside. I've never seen GI 9mm ball NOT penetrate, ever.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RMulhern
Some insight:
...all of the various rounds used by the FBI in this incident, including the pistol round that was adopted WOULD NOT penetrate the slanted windshield of a same model Monte Carlo used by the perps. The ONLY ROUND that DID penetrate was the .45 230 gr. hardball!

And how exactly is this relevant?

In the first place, the FBI agents at the Miami gunfight did not at any time attempt to shoot through the windshield of any of the cars involved. Their shot opportunities were through the open driver's window of the Monte Carlo, or at Platt as he exited the vehicle (during which he took the lethal hit from Dove's 9mm) or as he moved around the vehicles.

In the second place, if we're discussing current ammunition for current weapons such as a new military sidearm, the ammo offerings in 1986 are irrelevant. I've been present for T&E of many modern service caliber rounds, and aside from the .380, just about any 9mm, 357 SIG, or 40 S&W service round will reliably penetrate angled windshield glass and perform to FBI specs in gelatin thereafter.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I've been present for T&E of many modern service caliber rounds, and aside from the .380, just about any 9mm, 357 SIG, or 40 S&W service round will reliably penetrate angled windshield glass and perform to FBI specs in gelatin thereafter.

But them bullets do some crazy, counter-intuitive stuff, don't they?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you are referring to the way they refract, it's pretty straightforward physics and you can train for it. If you're shooting outside at a target inside, your bullets will hit above your point of aim by a few inches, so you aim low. Vice versa from inside. Training, not intuition.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've used 3 different handguns in the military. 1911's when I joined, Beretta M9 a bit later and finally the a Sig P229 in 40 the last 8-10 years.

Loved the 1911, Hated the M9 and was ambivalent about the Sig.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DocRocket
If you are referring to the way they refract, it's pretty straightforward physics and you can train for it. If you're shooting outside at a target inside, your bullets will hit above your point of aim by a few inches, so you aim low. Vice versa from inside. Training, not intuition.

Roger that. If a dude is six feet or so in from you and draws down on you, aim for his pelvis (The more angled the windshield is the more dramatic this effect is. So, a Jeep windshield won't cause this marked shift of impact)
The first round, maybe the second, will hit him in the sternum, most likely. Once you poke a hole the bullets will fly true. So, if you are shooting at a moving target and breaking glass each shoot, you've gotta aim low.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by ringworm
A pistol is an intermediate weapon who's only purpose is to allow you to fight long enough to acquire a rifle.

There's a lot of truth in that statement. if one looks at all the WWII pictures of fighting airborne generals that jumped with the troops they all carry either M-1 Garands or 03 Springfields. In fact, General Ridgeway saved himself from capture because he was carry an M-1 with armor piercing ammo. He was out taking a wiz when he was attacked by a German tank trying to capture him alive. He figured what the hell and shot the tank driver through the tank. The tank went out of control and he escaped. Imagine if all he had was a 1911.

Let's see, Sherman tanks armed with a 75MM CANNON couldn't punch through the armor of a German tank, so this guy did it with a 3006 and AP ammo? Calling bullshit..

Well Ridgeway was a decorated general and did replace MacArthur in Korea so if he said so it's so. He also said he didn't think the 06 AP round would penetrate the tank but figured what the hell did he have to lose.

It's a proven fact the high speed AP rounds will penetrate amour that slow rounds will not do. Also, IIRC, it wasn't a Tiger tank, maybe a Panther or earlier. I don't have the history of the 82nd Airborne any more to check.

Keep digging, the Panther came AFTER the Tiger and there is NO WAY, NO WAY an 06 AP round will penetrate even a PKW III even. Your "proven facts" are legion around here. lol. BTW, ever look up Pinochet and Franco? feel free to apologize when you do...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

A new steel 45 acp is the answer to the question. But the real question is will they be able to see that without politics or bean counting figuring in. Doubtful.

YMMV

How many 14-16hr days have you spent in full kit, IE body armor/plates combat load out? Choosing not to reduce an operator's kit by 20 ounces, in a fit of "nostalgia", is straight up stupid. Army SF has already answered this question for themselves, they chose the Glock.

Look friend, perhaps you are clueless as to what an "opinion" and "YMMV" means. But then I don't have the time or the patience to educate you, so in light of that I will just leave you with this. GFY!

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

YMMV

Look friend, perhaps you are clueless as to what an "opinion" and "YMMV" means. But then I don't have the time or the patience to educate you, so in light of that I will just leave you with this. GFY!

So, I guess that means none.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Issue PFC Susie a 1911 with a full magazine � and a 36-inch lanyard firmly attached so that she can swing it 'round 'n' 'round while she's shrieking.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

YMMV

So, I guess that means none.

How many hours have you spent riding a ship through heavy seas, running simulated small boat attacks on combat vessels, standing watch on a ship at sea, working in the oilfield, spending hours on end in full dress out during GQ drills?

See I can ask questions too. The question is pointless when you frame it to where you and a select few are the only ones that can answer it. That does not mean that someone cannot have an opinion on a general matter, of which this is.

Please point out to me where the SF, or wannabe's, are the only one's being considered in this article.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Please point out to me where the SF, or wannabe's, are the only one's being considered in this article.

I've logged a bit of RB-15/Zodiac time in my day. Most of it I'll admit was lobstering, snorkeling, and wake-boarding (takes real talent behind a 35hp rubber boat).

Army SF, unlike the rest of the Army, has the means and the money to buy whatever pistol they want. Unlike the Marines/MARSOC, they chose not to waste a huge sum of money on a dinosaur. That point is apparently lost on you and many others here.

Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I've logged a bit of RB-15/Zodiac time in my day. Most of it I'll admit was lobstering, snorkeling, and wake-boarding (takes real talent behind a 35hp rubber boat).

Army SF, unlike the rest of the Army, has the means and the money to buy whatever pistol they want. Unlike the Marines/MARSOC, they chose not to waste a huge sum of money on a dinosaur. That point is apparently lost on you and many others here.

Well that is where our opinions differ. I don't consider the 45 ACP a dinosaur. Not arguing specifically for the 1911 platform, as if you go back and read what I posted I mentioned the SIG P220 several times. Pretty sure those SIGs have a touch of time in the field as well.

Appreciate you are loyal to a GLOCK, and for SF that is well and good. But for average everyday dumbazzes they are getting in now, it is my opinion a striker fired weapon is not a good idea.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Well that is where our opinions differ. I don't consider the 45 ACP a dinosaur. Not arguing specifically for the 1911 platform, as if you go back and read what I posted I mentioned the SIG P220 several times. Pretty sure those SIGs have a touch of time in the field as well.

Appreciate you are loyal to a GLOCK, and for SF that is well and good. But for average everyday dumbazzes they are getting in now, it is my opinion a striker fired weapon is not a good idea.

The Glock probably isn't the best solution for big Army. Some sort of striker-fired pistol is the best option, IMO. Maybe something yet to come.

Bill Rodgers has watched tons of brass hit the ground at his range over the last 30yr. He says Glocks and now S&W M&P's are the best thing going. The XD's and the Sigs are more reliable than a 1911 but fall far short of the two plastic guns. Don't discount the Sig 250, it may be the dark horse here, and it is truly MODULAR.

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10ring1, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,199 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,255
Posts18,486,342
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.