Page 15 of 26 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 25 26
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by jwp475
But wait! Maverick says the "Protection Officers" (in residential neighborhoods) PREFER buckshot! And famous guides love it! And those highly trained summer-intern weir watchers swear by it!

Yea, I read that. I know when I lived in Alaska they advised against its use, because of a lack of penetration. That is also in line with my experience as well, since most slugs and buckshot loads are produced for deer hunters.

Anecdotally, the bear I shot with slugs was a wounded Kodiak bear at very close range and plain old Foster slugs worked far better than they should have... the bear died anyway and did not make it more than about 20'.

I have shot hogs with buckshot where maximum effect was desired and the wounding was really obvious... killing, not so much.

I have seen 00 buck stop under the skin against the skull of a whitetail buck. Not my idea of a Brown Bear stopper.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I love this thread..... Cannot imagine why anyone would want to bring the "minimum" caliber on a Kodiak bear hunt. Have fun looking for a wounded 1000 lb bear in the alders shot with a 7mm magnum.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bonefish
I love this thread..... Cannot imagine why anyone would want to bring the "minimum" caliber on a Kodiak bear hunt. Have fun looking for a wounded 1000 lb bear in the alders shot with a 7mm magnum.

If it comes to that I assure you it wasn't the 7 Mags fault they ended up there.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

If it comes to that I assure you it wasn't the 7 Mags fault they ended up there.....

That little statement pretty well sums up this entire thread.
It is a poor workman, or hunter, who blames their tools.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 458Win

You guys certainly know more than me about killing big bears. I have seen several folks pull shots when they get excited. Would assume that a big gun would help a slightly less than perfect shot. This said, have never seen anyone shoot a Brown Bear.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slightly less, possibly; flinchingly-less-than perfect: not so much smirk

I suspect the 33s might be some of the worst, actually, since they approach 375 power levels in 7 mag-weight rifles. (I don't know anyone who actually appreciates the 375s in standard/magnum weight rifles either though either.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Slightly less, possibly; flinchingly-less-than perfect: not so much smirk

I suspect the 33s might be some of the worst, actually, since they approach 375 power levels in 7 mag-weight rifles. (I don't know anyone who actually appreciates the 375s in standard/magnum weight rifles either though either.)

My .338 Ruger is nowhere near a "7 mag weight rifle". It outweighs my sons Ruger 7 mag by a pound or two. And they're both walnut 77 Mark II's.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have several big bores to 450 Ackley Magnum. I would be most comfortable with my 9.3X62 Mauser. It is very accurate and it doesn't give me the flinch that my 416 Rigby, 2-458 Lotts, and 450 Ackley magnum does. It handles heavy enough bullets and it is very comfortable to shoot.
A buddy of over 40years lives in Anchorage and mines around Hope said he would never go after a bear anymore with bear spray. He is comfortable with his 338.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hope to hunt the big bears ,if so my 9.3x62 will go with me. Accurate and easy to shoot well. Otherwise my Sako FN 300 H&H mag with heavy Nosler partitions. Not so difficult I think.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I too hope to hunt Brown Bear someday. It may have to wait until a wealthy relative passes grin but when I get the chance I'll have my .338 loaded with a healthy 250 grainer. Is that "minimum"? I guess so. According to veteran guide Bob May it is anyway.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by moosemike
I too hope to hunt Brown Bear someday. It may have to wait until a wealthy relative passes grin but when I get the chance I'll have my .338 loaded with a healthy 250 grainer. Is that "minimum"? I guess so. According to veteran guide Bob May it is anyway.

Do you get all of your inside information from Alaska Reality shows?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No. I've followed your posts here on the 'Fire too so I may be hopelessly mislead.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I haven't followed this thread closely.. Don't know if I will ever hunt brown bear, but I have calibers that will do the job..
But when I read bits of this thread, I think of a local who just went to Alaska for moose and grizzly.. The outfitter insisted he carry a rifle that would shoot at least a 300 grain bullet.. Fair enough.. But the outfitter also let another hunter go for the same game with a bow and arrow.. That makes no sense at all to me..

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

No. I've followed your posts here on the 'Fire too so I may be hopelessly mislead.

That is a distinct possibilty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Some real pearls of wisdom in these 2 posts.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Not sure what you are saying but your spelling leads one to several possible conclusions with the addition of a helper or two... Everyone gets an award so I would suppose you do not think you are hopeless (my personal feelings on the issue aside) and so we can drop that.

But please feel free to post anything I have posted in error. Good luck with that.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have been present at the taking of about 20 polar bears, while sledding with Canadian Inuit in the 1970s on a project of searching for polar bear denning areas. The Inuit present were allowed taking their legal allotted polar bear quota. The bears varied in size between 250-800 lbs. respectable but no giants.
The largest caliber brought by the Inuit on any of the trips was a .303 British, the smallest .222Rem. With in between .270, .243, 6mm rem., 25/06, .308 win, and 30-06.
They far preferred the smaller rounds, since they abhor exit holes, always used c&c bullets in factory loads brought in by the Hudson's Bay manager. Exit holes=fur damage.
They also liked to be able to carry the ammo in their pants pockets, smaller cartridges= more ammo for longer trips.
The most popular were then the .222rem, and the .243 since most game hunted was first and formost the ringed and bearded seals to be taken with head shots only to prevent them convulsing back into the seal hole. The second most hunted animal was the caribou.
Polar bears were regularly encountered on those sealing trips and therefore dispatched with the seal rifle at hand.
Now if they went out specifically for polar bear as the main target, they would bring a .303, .308, 270, 25-06 or .243. The 222 would be left at home or carried as a backup seal gun.
At one time I brought along a Remington .350 mag, the cartridge was much admired until a bear was shot with it, spraying blood and lung tissue on the piece of ice besides it.
The bear was no more then 350-400 lbs.
No Inuit after that wanted anything to do with the .350 mag.
Bears shot with the .222 were usually shot in the heart, or brain and died with heart shots within 2 minutes. Caribou were shot in the lungs or heart and died always very rapidly with the .222 rem. They admit that doing bears with a .222 needs caution and a cool disposition, since there is no margin for error. However it is done frequently.
The .243, .270 25/06, .308 win, 06, all killed the bears very quick with heart, lung or brain shots. Bears were shot well within the 50-100 yard range.
Then I only saw around 20 bears shot, so, a limited sample.
Another reason they are confident with their small bores is that the bears are chased until tired, not much steam left for charging, then shot at ranges less then 100 yards.
Caribou up there are approached easily within range, I do not believe I have seen shots exceeding 200 yards, mostly 40-100 yards.
The Inuit knew the anatomy of their animals and knew to place their shots.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WTF do Inuit know about choosing a cartridge/caliber for bears?????? They only hunt them on a regular bases!
I'd much rather ask some internet blowhard from the East Coast that never hunted bears what to use. LOL!!!!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not sure what you are saying but your spelling leads one to several possible conclusions with the addition of a helper or two... Everyone gets an award so I would suppose you do not think you are hopeless (my personal feelings on the issue aside) and so we can drop that.

But please feel free to post anything I have posted in error. Good luck with that.

I meant misled. I hope I'm not hopeless. My mom just died at age 55 and I just suffered a mild heart attack. So I realize this life can end anytime and I need to have some dreams and hope and pray I get to fulfill them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Okay, but a sledgehammer works better for driving in a railroad spike than a claw hammer, right? If one is comfortable with the sledgehammer, it works better. If not, you can get it done with the claw hammer, but you probably will have to hit it more times. Of course, the spike won�t be trying to run away from you while you hit it, and you didn�t spend thousands of dollars, months of preparation, and weeks of travel to knock in the spike. How about a ballpeen hammer? I�ve broken concrete with a sledgehammer, which is a PITA compared to doing it with a jackhammer. If you have a jackhammer, have practiced with it, and know how to use it well, why use a sledgehammer on concrete? A bigger tool can make a difference of you�re comfortable with it.

Phil, is there's a reason why you don't hunt BB with a .270 or 7mm?

Page 15 of 26 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 72 invisible), 3,272 guests, and 1,398 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,214
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.