Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My son and I will be hunting Kodiak Island for goats this fall so I need a top end mountain hunting boot. I know there are a number of excellent boots to choose from but want advise. Light weight is important to me, and want to stay with 8-9" height. Along with your recommendations, what are some good sources to purchase from right now. Please keep your recommendations to boots you've actually used considerably in mountain environments. Thanks much fellas.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been on the path for a lightweight boot. The following is a list from heaviest to lightest with pounds - ounces in the right-hand column. I normally wear a 13 but go a size up so my toes don't jam the end on a downhill slope. It goes back to compromise. I love the INOV8 288s (now 286). They are lightweight but I didn't feel like my feet were protected. On the other extreme, I loved the Lowa Tibets but man they are heavy. If I could get a horse to carry me up the mountain, they would be great. A good compromise for me has been the Lowa Renegades. I also like the Asolo 520 TPS.

Lowa Tibet boot 14 5-3
Meindle by Cabela 13EE 4-13
Asolo 520 TPS 14 4-11
Lowa Renegade. 3-7
UA Speed Freaks 3-6
Salomon xa 3d mid. 2-6
INOV8 288 w insoles 2-7

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Check these out for lightweight, I will be trying these next.

http://www.lathropandsons.com/lowa-boots/cevedale-tech-light-hunter-gtx-lowa.html

I really like the Lowa Tibet pro's but everyone's feet are different so it comes down to fit. I've tried several brands and nothing fits me as good as the Tibets.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
thanks for the input guys. I suspect that the lightest boots are un-insulated. Typical temps in Kodiak in October are supposedly 30s-40s. Do you think the un-insulated will be OK in those temps? Also, what is your experience with these mountain boots re: the amount of miles for wear-in? Thanks again

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have had a pair of 14W uninsulated Asolo Sassalongs to Colorado elk hunting. They appear to be very close to the Asolo 520 in height and construction. Different sole. Had the Sassalongs to 12K ft in 12" of snow at 20*F. Good traction. Good support. Good thermal comfort with heavy Smart Wool socks. However, I was moving most of the time, so, good circulation to the feet. Not sure how they would be if I had to sit for long periods of time with my feet in snow.

Only comment is buy 'em now and start breaking them in now. Took me a several months of weekends to get them broke in comfortable.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I should have mentioned insulation qualities. The list above are all uninsulated. I always wear 2 or 3 pairs of wool socks. Cold weather was noticeable in the two lightest boots listed, especially in snow. Frankly, I think the cold was a bigger issue than the foot protection. The other boots listed provided warmth and protection down to the lower 20s with snow.

As far as break-in goes, the Lowa Renegades were very comfortable from the beginning. The UA Speed Freaks were also comfortable from the start. The Lowa Tibets and the Asolo 520 TPS boots took a while to break in.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The Tibets take about 40-50 miles to break in. I just wear them working around the house for a few weeks and then start hiking with them. After a couple decent hikes they are good to go.

I am on my second pair and have done quite a few trips with them and they would work in those temps.

If you are worried about the cold you could always bring some boot blankets but that would add weight. I would not recommend skimping on boots, keep weight in mind but don't let that be the deciding factor and test any boots with a loaded pack. You will be able to tell the difference real quick.

Several great brands out there, just find what fits and break them in.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have two pair of Kennetrek Mountain Extreme boots. One pair is insulated and one pair is uninsulated. I found them to be very easy to wear for break in and lightweight with great ankle support. Bought first pair( insulated) on clearance at Joe's in St Paul MN and ordered the second pair directly from Kennetrek. They fit my wide, high instep foot very well and I went up half size after trying them on. Very forgiving for width adjustment. Used them in steep terrain but never above timberline.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
thanks for the input guys. I suspect that the lightest boots are un-insulated. Typical temps in Kodiak in October are supposedly 30s-40s. Do you think the un-insulated will be OK in those temps? Also, what is your experience with these mountain boots re: the amount of miles for wear-in? Thanks again

I have been using Meindl Denali's for the last couple years, and really like them. I prefer uninsulated boots in most cases, and would have no problem going uninsulated in those temps.

I probably could have gone hunting with the denali's after 10-15 miles of break in. They were pretty comfortable out of the gate. I like to have more than that, and a little loaded pack work, just so I know for sure they will work with my feet.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use the Salomon Quest 4D GTX Backpacking Boot. I have been very pleased with it hunting in the Rockies. Purchased from Amazon.

Last edited by prm; 07/05/14.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check out Salewa boots if you get a chance. I'm really liking the Condors. Scarpa's Triolet is another great lightweight, synthetic option.

Tanner

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Asolos. Long lasting and fit my feet well. Sierra Trading Post has really good deals on several models of their boots.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Took kentrex extremes with me last year on a goat hunt in b.c and I was very
Happy with them, worked well in the rocks and snow and mud!!
Have fun and get ready to climb.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've been using Lowa Tibets for the past 6 or 7, maybe 8 years - too long to remember correctly. I wear them for approx 120+ days per year for guiding and hunting, plus another 70 odd days fishing and working on the farm. Have never had to break them in, ever! Am on my 5th pair right now, and have had the 6th pair waiting in my gear room for the past 8 months, but just cant seem to wear my present ones out. I use Obenaufs to look after them, and a large part of the time those boots are wet, like we wear them through the river all the time. Basically I live in my boots, and cant recommend them highly enough, they are excellent.
One thing to remember is the weight of a good boot pales in to insignificance when you take into account the comfort of the boot and the protection it offers your feet in inhospitable terrain. If your goat country is as tough as our tahr country, you will be thankful for the protection offered by a slightly heavier boot.

Guide/Outfitter, NZ Backcountry Guides, fishing and hunting since 1985
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought Lowa Tibets at the first if the year. Great boots. Personally, I wouldn't own insulated hiking boots. I'd also save weight somewhere else and not sacrifice boot quality.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depending on your foot type, try Crispi's. I've been really pleased with mine. I've owned Lowa, Kennetrek, meindl, hanwag, Scarpa and Zamberlan. The Crispi's fit my feet best. I've got narrow ankles and calves and mid foot with medium arches and a wide forefoot. The Crispi's fit me best.

Lee

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I am currently wearing a pair of AKU Utah GTX boots and love them. There was hardly a break in period and with good socks along with a pair of gators I only broke out the insulated Schnees packs when it got down below 0. I tried the Lowa Renegades first as I didn't want to spend a lot on them, but the performance was very lacking. The traction on wet surfaces was horrible and I busted my azz one to many times and they now have become my extra chore shoes around the place here. Yes they were comfortable after a pair of green superfeet were installed, but I would pass on them for a goat hunt like you are headed on. Take a hard look at AKU and Schnees has a great lineup of boots as well, I just haven't tried them yet. Some of my hunting buddies have tried the Schnees and absolutely love them for backpack hunting.

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ejo
Check these out for lightweight, I will be trying these next.

http://www.lathropandsons.com/lowa-boots/cevedale-tech-light-hunter-gtx-lowa.html

I really like the Lowa Tibet pro's but everyone's feet are different so it comes down to fit. I've tried several brands and nothing fits me as good as the Tibets.

That's the boot I really want to try as well. Had great previous service from Lathrop in the past as well.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I really appreciate all you who have shared your experience. You've helped me narrow some things down. I want to run this other question by you all:

1) it sounds as if there are a number of top-end quality boots out there for what I'm looking for.

2) I'm comfortable using the non-insulated based on your input

3) I'm going with an 8" boot-a tiny bit lighter

Two additional questions:

1) how water-proof are these types of boots. Kodiak Island gets lots of rain so it appears the boots will be wet a lot. Most of these, if not all, have gortex. Will that keep my feet dry?

2) I live a long ways from any retailers who handle these boots. So I almost must get on the phone and make a decision on size based on the communication between myself and the person on the other end. Is this going to be almost impossible to get the correct size?

Thank you much guys.

Dan

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have Meindl's HanWag's, Kenetrek and a bunch of others. Kenetreks are my favorite. I have non insulated and insulated. I would rather have the insulated ones if I just had one pair.

Brad Dana
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (boatboy, Blueeagle, 35, Boarmaster123, blackhawk44, 8 invisible), 1,214 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,237
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.