Print Thread
Hop To
S
Switch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
What is the deal with this recall, I have a rifle with one of these trigger and while it is no Jewel I like it and am hesitent to send it in. I hear sotries of 5 to six month waits for repair. Wt do I do? After market trigger or find an old style trigger, r not sweat it as I've used this rifle alot with no problems. I thought the old trigger was replaced to remedy this kind of problem, though Remington won't sday so.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't had any problems but that said I would rather buy a Timney than wait for Remington to "clean" it.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by philgood80
I haven't had any problems but that said I would rather buy a Timney than wait for Remington to "clean" it.

Amen!

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Don't send it to Remington. Get an aftermarket trigger. After being on hold for an hour, they quoted me 3 months to complete the fix. They couldn't even tell me if they received my rifle and that was a week after UPS said it was delivered. The previous time I sent this rifle in for warranty work, I could check the progress through their website and they got me the rifle back in about a week. This time, let's just say I'm nervous.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I sent one back around May 1st and got it back July 3rd. Worst customer service I ever dealt with. That's saying something with Beretta around.

Dink

S
Switch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
This is the reason I won't buy any new Remington products, I've been mad ever since they did away with the safety that locks the bolt and the J lock on both shotguns and rifles. Got this rifle in a trade, not about to fix, just say bye bye.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why would you be mad about a j-lock? I wouldn't have a rifle with a j-lock.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I sent them my trigger only. Not sure if I should have done that but if I don't get it back in time for fall hunting, I have an old spare I can put in. Thinking about a Timney anyway. Am getting pretty fed up with Remington as this is the 700 that the bolt handle fell off when I got it home and was adjusting the trigger. (700 XCRII)

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The overwhelming conscious on here when this recall got announced was to buy your favorite aftermarket trigger and put it in. Initially I sent in my info to have the recall done. I cant remember how long ,maybe a month and a half i got a email saying that they were sending the box. Two weeks later I got a box. The box was beat up beyond repair. I let them know i received the box in poor condition, although i did not request it they sent another box which i received in better but still poor condition. I had decided within a week or two that i wouldnt be removing my scope and sending my rifle back to them. I purchased a Timney and put it in myself. I am very happy I did so. I now have a great trigger and I learned how to do it. Cost me a little money but i enjoyed the work and i love the new trigger.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had the same experience as Boarmaster, about a month and a half after I registered my gun I received a return box that was unusable, the replacement came about 3 weeks later and was better but not what I'd choose to ship my gun in. I went as far as printing out the return labels and just for kicks I called UPS to see if there was an insured value in case it was lost or damaged. I was told there was no insurance and no declared value and they explained to me that in case of loss or damage I would have no say in the matter and the company that sent the return label would have to instigate a claim. They went further to explain that the main thing that would be looked at was proper packaging (per their guidelines on some website) then after the investigation was complete UPS would determine value and fault.
Doesn't surprise me that Remington chose not to insure all of those returns and I don't have much concern that if I had a problem at some point I'd get a repair or a stock factory replacement but I know I'd never get a nickel for any of the custom upgrades so I chose to order a Timney

Markopolo - let us know if they accept the trigger only

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I had my gunsmith order a Timney.. Haven't heard if he got it or not..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Both the boxes they sent me had the styrofoam protector busted into at least a few pieces. Which told me that it would be my rifle that would be supplying the rigidity not the styrofoam. Both boxes where very thin and one had been taped back together as it was torn almost clean in half. While Im not disappointed in the recall itself but I am disappointed in the lack of concern Remington has for our rifles as evidenced by the boxes. Its seems to me they might be trying to get us to do exactly like what we did. Go out and buy a another trigger at our own expense and non to them. As far as I'm concerned they should have offered us the option of sending in the rifle for the no charge recall or allowing us to replace the trigger with a aftermarket and receiving a refund of some amount when they receive our original trigger back. But i am not a lawyer and maybe that would pose a legal issue of some sort.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by duxndogs
I had the same experience as Boarmaster, about a month and a half after I registered my gun I received a return box that was unusable, the replacement came about 3 weeks later and was better but not what I'd choose to ship my gun in. I went as far as printing out the return labels and just for kicks I called UPS to see if there was an insured value in case it was lost or damaged. I was told there was no insurance and no declared value and they explained to me that in case of loss or damage I would have no say in the matter and the company that sent the return label would have to instigate a claim. They went further to explain that the main thing that would be looked at was proper packaging (per their guidelines on some website) then after the investigation was complete UPS would determine value and fault.
Hah.. Good luck with all that..

Doesn't surprise me that Remington chose not to insure all of those returns and I don't have much concern that if I had a problem at some point I'd get a repair or a stock factory replacement but I know I'd never get a nickel for any of the custom upgrades so I chose to order a Timney

I wonder if Timney's gonna need a bigger facility.. I haven't looked today, but a while ago many of their models were on backorder.. With Remingtons out there - I can see why...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Redneck - Timney, Rifle Basic and Jewel are probably thanking their lucky stars (and bigger 401K's) over this latest Remington SNAFU. It's either that OR Rem is too clever by half...and planned a consumer response this way to avoid working over the re-called triggers. Nah...Rem doesn't "plan" at all. Homesteader

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Switch
This is the reason I won't buy any new Remington products, I've been mad ever since they did away with the safety that locks the bolt and the J lock on both shotguns and rifles. Got this rifle in a trade, not about to fix, just say bye bye.

There must be at least 3-4 people that liked the J-Locks.

As far as I'm concerned, the value of any Remington with a J-Lock is reduced by the cost of replacing it with non-J-Lock parts plus the value of the time and effort I have to expend to get it done.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by markopolo50
I sent them my trigger only. Not sure if I should have done that but if I don't get it back in time for fall hunting, I have an old spare I can put in. Thinking about a Timney anyway. Am getting pretty fed up with Remington as this is the 700 that the bolt handle fell off when I got it home and was adjusting the trigger. (700 XCRII)

Got my trigger back today. They sent a note saying I could take it to an authorized repair dealer and the dealer would put it back for no charge, but I took it off, so I put it back in. Any way, I am having a few issues with the local "authorized repair dealer", well known in Davison, MI. ... They must have put quite a bit of graphite or something like that as the plastic bag it came in was gray and I wiped it off before installing. They had backed the adjustment screw off as it was down to 2.25#'s. I raised it to 3#'s and am all set.

So if you guys have a recall trigger, take it to an authorized repair area or take it off and send it back in. Just make sure you contact them special or they will send you a box for a rifle.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As a side note, a buddy has a Model 7 in 300 WSM. He shot two bucks 2 years ago on opening morning. Last year, different shells(Federal nickel plated) he had one empty stuck in the chamber. We did get it out and there was an .008" bulge in the case. Sent it back to Remington (HINT on the above authorized) and it came back in two weeks with a new barrel. Chamber on the original was rough and scratched.

Some decent news on Remington service, although if I need a new rifle, will not be looking at Remingtons

Last edited by markopolo50; 07/24/14.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Homesteader
Redneck - Timney, Rifle Basic and Jewel are probably thanking their lucky stars (and bigger 401K's) over this latest Remington SNAFU.
....and probably expanding their manufacturing operations in anticipation of further demand.. laugh

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

There must be at least 3-4 people that liked the J-Locks.
That many? Wow... I thought - maybe 1-2...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Redneck - my 'smith installed the new 32oz. Timney in the M40 LR within a week. He's 9 miles away so rifle hand delivered and then picked up. NO broken shipping containers, lost rifle, UPS claim hassle etc. Timney costs more but not when all the sundry other costs are accounted for. Now, saving the extra $$ for a scope (thinking 5-20X or 6-24x) is next. Homesteader

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 40 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,561
Posts18,510,646
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.