Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure I agree. If you are at a point where you can appreciate the difference in how a nice Martin sounds over a entry level model, then you'll be motivated to play more.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

B
B
For the money, this is a great guitar - well built and sounds as good as most guitars under $1,000:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...d-depth-cutaway-acoustic-electric-guitar

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hang on to your 500 until you have another 500 to go with it. There just isn'tich to gain in a $500 guitar, unless you know what you are doing in the used market.

Even with $1k I'd buy used.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Martins in that $5-600 range have laminated necks and are made in Mexico and are not the same as the US made Martins.
EBAY has a lot of acoustics to choose from but a guitar is very personal and it is best if you can play and listen first. A solid spruce top is a must for a quality sound.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
[quote=KFWA]I'm not sure I agree. If you are at a point where you can appreciate the difference in how a nice Martin sounds over a entry level model, then you'll be motivated to play more. [quote]

This is excellent advice.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by KFWA
I'm not sure I agree. If you are at a point where you can appreciate the difference in how a nice Martin sounds over a entry level model, then you'll be motivated to play more.

They all sound bad if you can't play. My point is that you can't buy the ability to sound good on a guitar and I've seen a lot of guys try. If the guitar he has won't take a set up then yeah, get one that will but past that, a high dollar guitar won't play any better than the guy playing it. Imagine the guy with the tacticool custom long range rifle who can't hit a beer can at 15 yds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go to a good store and sit down and start playing them. The sound, action and tone will decide for you.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Every guitar is different. Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a guitar without playing it first. I have owned some very nice guitars that I did not like playing at all.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys. As expected, some really good advice. Have seen most of the mentioned guitars at the local shops and will be looking at a lot more before I actually buy one. I do have friends that play. Our guitar player at church (I go to a cowboy church) has done a good bit of session work in Nashville, so I am sure he will have some good advice for me and hopefully help me pick something out when I am ready.

Thanks again for the help and please keep it coming.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pick your guitar like you do your rifles and you will be happy. Some really cool things are useless, or at least products of diminishing returns, not unlike optics. Narrow your search to what you need, want and can afford. I do not recommend spending too much on a guitar (unless it's a steal that you can recoup your money on) until you know exactly what you want and need. Of course, like rifles, I had to go through all of them to find out what that was. Have fun. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seagull is your best bet new in that price range. I steered two newbies toward them and they loved them. I wouldn't look for a Martin or other 'big name' guitar at that price level as you're still paying for a name and getting less guitar.

I also wouldn't look for onboard electronics. A lot of them are crap, especially in the lower end range and again, you're paying for that and getting less guitar. Find a well setup guitar with a solid top and when you need or are ready for electronics get a K&K Pure Mini installed. They're only $100 and sound awesome through a good amp or PA. I have one in my Guild J65 12 string and my SCGC 000 (and my buddy has two in each of his Martins).

Final bit of advice...play with other people a lot. It's fun and you'll learn a lot more. Plus, it develops your 'band' skills like listening to what is happening, playing in time with the group, etc.

Good luck and have fun! To me making great music and getting people 'grooving' is far more important than becoming a 'technical master'. That's why rock kicks classical's ass! smile

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[quote=smalljawbasser]Hang on to your 500 until you have another 500 to go with it. There just isn'tich to gain in a $500 guitar, unless you know what you are doing in the used market.

Even with $1k I'd buy used. [

I'd agree with this statement. Like you I started late in life and immediately tried to buy my way in. If your current guitar is playable id keep practicing and save up more $ .

Last edited by bangeye; 07/08/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Martin refers to beginners and the campfire in the description of the 500.00 guitars. One review used the word durable. Similar to a Savage Fox and a A.H. Fox.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've been playing guitars for 46 years, acoustic and electric, in a couple-three bands, several duos, and so forth. I have permanent ravines on the fingertips of my left hand.

I've been something of a guitar loony over this time. I've owned Martins, Guilds, and Gibsons, Fenders, Yamahas, Ibanez, Yamakis, Ovations, and lately am flirting with a Taylor (again). Epiphone, Ibanez, and Sigma are decent brands but spotty in their quality; I've had a dozen of these, but all except one amazing Epiphone 12-string were sold shortly after I bought them. That Epiphone 12-string got killed in the process of my first divorce. Think about the scene in Animal House where John Belushi confronts the soulful folk singer. That's more or less how my Epiphone 12-string died.

Anyways, I may have shared just a leeeetle too much there, but hey... I'm a guitarist, and guitar chitt happens... I'll echo what a lot of others have said... don't buy a $500 guitar. Not yet, anyway. My absolute favorite guitar of my life is a late 70's edition Ovation I bought in a pawnshop 10 years ago for $400, but that was a freak occurence. I played a thousand broke-down whores to find that one angel, and I knew what I was looking for. Ovations, however, for the most part are really solid guitars that keep their tone and tune better than 90% of the major brands.

Again, echoing others' best advice, go to a guitar store and find a good salesman to help you pick out what you want. Get a straight acoustic guitar, don't mess with pickups. They generally suck. Later, you can buy a new Stratocaster for $1K or so, if you really want to learn electric... but you'll need to spend another $600 or so for a decent tube amp (the Fender Blues Junior is a solid, solid amp, btw, if you go that route) and pedals.

As for new acoustic guitars: don't buy a Martin, unless you're able to spend $2K or more. Anything under that price is gonna be crap. I have a Sigma (Jap Martin clone) that's a pretty decent guitar, and I've kept it only because it has something elegant in the tone that you don't normally find in a Sigma, or even a low- to mid-price Martin, but the neck drives me to distraction.

I think Taylor guitars are the best value for the money out there, at least among the major manufacturers. My local music store has a huge selection of Taylors, and you can get a really, really nice Taylor there for $1500-$2000 that will blow the doors off any Martin I've ever played that was priced under $3K. Solid, solid guitars that hold tune and tone, strong and sweet necks, and pretty wood, too.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Also forgot to add that you need to consider what style you'll be playing. Certain body shapes/sizes lend themselves to different styles. If you're gonna be a hard strummer or picker you probably want a Jumbo or Dreadnaught. Finger style lends itself to smaller more balanced guitars.

On acoustic I play almost exclusively fingerpicking so my Santa Cruz 000 is insanely awesome (it almost NEVER feels a pick). When I get the urge to make some noise and rhythm the Guild Jumbo 12 string comes out (probably the best sounding factory 12 string ever, IMHO).

And then there's the Strat through a BFSR... laugh

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Guild, Gretsch, and Gibson all make amazing 12-strings. My old Gibson and my old Epiphone would hold tune for weeks. Big round tones, you can fill a big room with sound with those without an amp.

BFSR? Studio Reverb? I had a Fender Twin Reverb when I played in bands, had big JBL speakers added in. That was for the Strat. Talk about wail!! But you can't play it in the house... by the time you get the signal up to the point where you're working the tubes, you're playing at Woodstock volumes... For the Les Paul, I had a Marshall head and a beat-up Brand X half-stack that could truly scream.

Nowadays I'm playing a Strat again, re-learning my old chops. I use a Blues Jr. with the upgraded speakers, and an old Ibanez TS-9 pedal. I can play it in the house without scaring the dogs witless, and it has to be a fairly big gig before I have to mic it.

Last edited by DocRocket; 07/08/14.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Studio Reverb? Really?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldman2003
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I'm not going to argue with you, because like I said, "I dont play a guitar". But you can go online and find new guitars, sold on the "cf martin and co" website for under $500.

Maybe martin didnt make them, but they are sold by martin and advertised as a martin product.

Those are Martin Sigma's which have been around since about 1970. Decent Jap guitars but can in no way be compared to a real Martin made in PA. Night and day difference.

I guess Martin is like a lot of other companies... put their name on foreign products.

Its a shame, but that's the way the world turns, today.

Thanks for the info.

It is natural to blame the company, but it is simply trying to cover all price points in offering choices to customers. More people have options which of course is not to say that they will make wise choices. As they have said forever, you get what you pay for. laugh

If you want a "true" Martin, research it out and find one. That' what I did for my kid, got it on eBay from a guy in KY and paid even more to ship it out to Japan. The money I paid is now forgotten, but we continue to love that guitar. That is satisfaction.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Higbean
Studio Reverb? Really?

I think he meant black face super reverb (BFSR) but who knows?

Last edited by billhilly; 07/08/14.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I hear Blueridge Guitars are a pretty good value. To be honest, I've never played one so I can't say from first-hand experience. I've owned a Guild D50 for 40 years.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blueridge-br-40-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar#reviews

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 204guy, 257 roberts, 56 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,894
Posts18,518,374
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.