Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[bleep] me. I wish I had read this thread before I had a couple of Rugers rebarreled.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[bleep] me. I wish I had read this thread before I had a couple of Rugers rebarreled.
Hell, I think Savage99 even had one rebarrelled by Ruger. Weird...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by keith
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Bob Davis told me Rugers were not manufactured to be taken apart, his exact words not mine.
Bullshit.
WHY DON'T YOU CALL HIM?
I've talked to him before, knob, back when Ruger was taking apart and re-barreling my stainless Model 77. Your ass needs to call him and get hot on that replacement deal. By my count you've got 48 hours before that deal runs out.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer
Hell, I think Savage99 even had one rebarrelled by Ruger. Weird...
As did I. And a stainless one no less. They also removed/reinstalled a barrel on a No. 1 used to own. (Another member here has it now.)

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It is common knowledge that the vast majority of custom gunsmiths do not like to work on rugers in as far as rebarreling them.

"......Rugers were not manufactured to be taken apart.........."
This was Bob Davis' comment to me, I was as shocked as you are until I started calling gunsmiths to see if it was possible to get this action rethreaded and related costs. Gunsmith's comments were not favorable....call your own gunsmiths and ask them to rethread a Ruger action or to true up a Ruger action and rebarrel....see for yourself.

Send me a PM with their name and phone number, please. Greg Tannel with Gre-Tan rifles in Co is a machinist's machinist and master gunsmith. He said it would run $500-600 and would not guarantee that there is enough meat on the shank of the barrel to cut off the threads and start over. Also, the action would have to be bored out to remove all existing threads and then rethread, this would make the sides of the action very thin, not a safe thing.

It takes a special jig fixture to mount the action in the 4 jaw chuck in order to true up an action, not many gunsmiths are willing to pop for the expense. A guy has to be a pretty good machinist to true up a Ruger action because they are investment castings and are hard as hell to recut due to the nature of the material. The machinist has to have a 1/4" inside threading tool that is carbide. Spring back from such a small tool is a real bitch to work with.

Bayou, there are no loose ends on my part, the dangling is all in the wording of the Packing Slip, it is a real mess of miscommunications. If they were to replace this gun with another, WE WOULD TAKE IT!!!

In your first comment above you inform the world that, "It is common knowledge that the vast majority of custom gunsmiths do not like to work on rugers in as far as rebarreling them."

Then in the next comment following Bob Davis' statement you say, "I was as shocked as you are until I started calling gunsmiths to see if it was possible to get this action rethreaded and related costs. Gunsmith's comments were not favorable....call your own gunsmiths and ask them to rethread a Ruger action or to true up a Ruger action and rebarrel....see for yourself."

Re-barreling a good action and trying to clean up your action are two totally different breeds of cats. Don't try to blend them together to fit your current needs. I seriously doubt any gunsmith, including Greg Tannel, would try to clean up the action you are in possession of. That's not hard for even a 10 year old girl to understand.

I just a few minutes ago talked with a gunsmith that I use and my rifle is ready. It's a 6mm-250 chambered in a #3 Douglas somehow attached to a short action Ruger 77. I hope the smith didn't epoxy glue or weld anything together permanently. No, I'm not going to give you his name so you can drag him into your circle-jerk scenario to prove nothing. No good gun smith deserves that.

You get more bizarre with your comments as you go.

Your specific action in the condition it's in does not negate the fact that many Rugers have and will continue to be re-barreled. Get a grip on reality, Sherlock.

And you're now saying that you'd take a new replacement barreled action in spite of "......Problem is, my friend will want to have a muzzle break installed on the barrel...we don't want to go through this again when the barrel is removed......". You've circled the wagons so many times that the horses are dizzy and they're falling down around you.

Are you sure you're not the 80 year old here and maybe you're suffering from dementia, or at best a short memory issue? And is Ruger aware of the hack job you're trying to perform on them here with seemingly misinformation? Geezzzz...

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BayouRover
You've circled the wagons so many times that the horses are dizzy and they're falling down around you.

pure gold, right there....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No chit! What should I do with the 8 I have? whistle

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My friend has hundreds of dollars invested in Creedmoore dies and 6.5 bullets, they are paper weights now."

Problem is, my friend will want to have a muzzle break installed on the barrel...we don't want to go through this again when the barrel is removed......

Those two comments are absolutely true as to what I have been saying, problem is, why can't you understand them?

Bob Davis told me Rugers were not manufactured to be taken apart, his exact words not mine. We took one apart, now the gun is scrap, and my friend is out $750 plus tax. Ruger never made us an offer to replace the gun free of charge, if they had, we would not have anything to complain about.

Bricktop:
He got that "name" from an old post of mine. I doubt he actually spoke with that person.

This is half truth, I did get the name from a post of yours, but I did speak to him.

Are you sure he didn't say Rugers are not made to be taken apart by ham-fisted amateur peckerheads or incompetent pseudo-gunsmiths?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Fruit Loops, pure Fruit loops.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This whole thing is like listening to some guy telling his wife that she is not seeing the whore beneath him. crazy

The more 'splaining we hear, the more convoluted and ridiculous it sounds.

"Circled the wagons so many times the horses are dizzy", fuggin great!

Sean
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
So I'm guessing that no news equates to no new wrinkles to the story.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I called Ruger and asked to speak to the head of customer service. He pulled up the Packing slip # Where the gun was returned to the gunsmith.

I sent him pictures of the ruined threads of the action and barrel, he said that Ruger barrels are put on using Hydraulic pressure and are never intended to be taken off. He told me that if a barrel is taken off that it voids the warranty as I have customized the gun. He then reminded me of the offer to replace the gun for their whole sale price(about $500). I said, "OK" and he transferred me to another person.

This lady pulled up the Packing slip #, then took a second to read all the notes in the file. She then asked me to wait so that she could check the availability of a gun. She came back on the line and said that there were no 6.5 Creedmoor sporters in stock, blued or stainless, but there was a run of 6.5 Creedmoor Stainless Varmint with the grey/black laminate stock scheduled in a Month. I told her that the Varmint model would be just fine. Then I asked her to read the Packing slip once again and she did. I reminded her of the part of the Free Replacement, and she agreed.

She issued a RMA # to allow the return of the rifle, and a Fed Ex pick up order.

So, Ruger replaced the rifle with a better model, same caliber, and the owner is very happy.

Since Ruger barrels are put on with Hydraulic pressure, I will never take the barrel off another one, and anyone that doubts this should call customer service themselves before you attempt it. 928-778-6555

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's this hydraulic pressure mean to someone who removes a Ruger barrel? I'm not familiar with this process.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Moosemike, hundreds if not thousands of pounds of pressure is exerted mechanically to screw the barrel and action together. Fixtures would grip both the barrel and the action, and one is
mechanically screwed onto the other using hydraulic pressure. Any misalignment or incorrectly placing one or the other in their respective fixtures would cause the type of thread stripping seen on this action and barrel. Removing the action, reveals problems with the misalignment, thread galling, and or +/- tolerances in manufacturing.

While these threads were stripped when the action was put on, the gun still shot extremely well(0.400-.685 three shot groups), the real problem happened when the barrel was unscrewed from the action.

I really appreciate the help of some very dedicated customer service Reps from Ruger in this issue. Everyone of the customer service reps have all said the same thing, "Rugers are not made to have their barrels taken off", and I believe them!

Instead of giving me Hell, call Ruger customer service and verify it for yourself..they are not bashful in telling you straight out not to remove the barrel from a Ruger rifle.

Now the question is whether or not Ruger will replace the near worn out barrel on my Ruger Mark II with the skeleton stock. That model is no longer being made...call tomorrow will find out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Moosemike, hundreds if not thousands of pounds of pressure is exerted mechanically to screw the barrel and action together. Fixtures would grip both the barrel and the action, and one is mechanically screwed onto the other using hydraulic pressure.
And all this time I've been removing M77 barrels with hand tools.......

I know that I'm stout, I guess that it just makes it all the more obvious that you better speak to me with your hat in your hand..........

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

Last edited by keith; 07/09/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sent him pictures of the ruined threads of the action and barrel, he said that Ruger barrels are put on using Hydraulic pressure and are never intended to be taken off. He told me that if a barrel is taken off that it voids the warranty as I have customized the gun.
Ruger does not have any "warranty," dickhead. This has been covered previously. In fact, it's on every Ruger owner's manual. Jesus Christ, your f*cking story gets dumber and dumber.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
And all this time I've been removing M77 barrels with hand tools.......

I know that I'm stout, I guess that it just makes it all the more obvious that you better speak to me with your hat in your hand..........

Most of them probably come off just fine, but not when the threads are buggered. Ruger surely knows this can happen and says don't remove the barrel. They're installed by machine and removed the same way. It took 2 guys and 6' cheater bar to get this one off.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The 6.5 Creedmore WILL NOT be made again for a few years according to Ruger.

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

You must not have talked to the right person. Ruger currently lists 3 6.5 Creedmoor rifles on their web site:

Ruger American Rifle� Predator
6.5 Creedmoor Bolt-Action Rifle

Hawkeye� Varmint Target

Hawkeye� Predator

Ruger said that they had no 6.5 ceedmoores in stock in blue or stainless, and they MIGHT NOT be manufactured for years(shocking).

there was a run of 6.5 Creedmoor Stainless Varmint with the grey/black laminate stock scheduled in a Month.

Plans apparently change quickly at Ruger.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by thin_man

there was a run of 6.5 Creedmoor Stainless Varmint with the grey/black laminate stock scheduled in a Month.

Plans apparently change quickly at Ruger.

They're made when the distributors order them.

Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

366 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,176 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,452
Posts18,528,948
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.