Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Stopped at my mom's last night to chat after fishing, and my younger sister was over with her kids. One of her 1 year old daughter's was just diagnosed with whooping cough - at 1 she hadn't been vaccinated yet.

Seem to remember this from my youth as one of those diseases that had been beaten. Geez..

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My kids were vaccinated and my youngest (age 10) still contracted it in Seoul, Korea when I was stationed there. He'd start coughing uncontrollably until he vomited. This was a six-times-a-day event for about six months until the docs finally diagnosed whooping cough. They all dismissed it as a possibility due to his vaccination. It took about a week for the treatments to cure it. He lost some weight during those months and it was a tough thing for a mom and dad to see and be powerless to make him feel better.

Wishing the best for your niece.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I kind of remember having it as a kid. I don't remember how they treated it back then; been a long time ago.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
few things feel worse than when your kids are sick

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of diseases are still being beaten....one vaccination at a time. People who choose not to vaccinate their kids are part of the problem....often a problem that manifests itself with others' kids.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Stopped at my mom's last night to chat after fishing, and my younger sister was over with her kids. One of her 1 year old daughter's was just diagnosed with whooping cough - at 1 she hadn't been vaccinated yet.

Seem to remember this from my youth as one of those diseases that had been beaten. Geez..
Pertussis is HIGHLY contagious. It's still around because moron parents believe the garbage spewed by the anti vaccination crowd.

Sam......

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Pertussis is HIGHLY contagious. It's still around because moron parents believe the garbage spewed by the anti vaccination crowd.

And it still kills kids.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Add a zillion kids crossing the border and it really helps. No reason to not have your kids vaccinated.

I just had my DTaP vaccine again a few months ago.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry for the little girl. Prayers she'll be OK.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't be too quick about blaming the immigrants, the vaccination rate in the US is far, FAR, below the average in the world.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
before the vaccine, they buried 10k kids a year in this country because of it. The vaccine is a Godsend but there are those who think it's cool to not vaccinate. Their kids lives are at risk because of it. Yes, once in a great while a kid will react from the vaccine but those numbers are far below the number of kids who died because they didn't get it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Just looked and found stats that say preschool age children nationwide are at 82.5% vaccination rate for this. Nebraska is at 84.5%.

What kills me is that means 1 out of 6 kids don't get vaccinated by school? What the <bleep> is wrong with these parents???

rockinbbar, thanks for the concern. She's on antibiotics and should be fine. Don't know if they started her twin sister on antibiotics as a preventative measure or are just hoping she doesn't catch it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
in Florida, you can't enroll your kids in the government schools without proof of vaccination.

Will the little girls be vaccinated now? Pertussis is, as I mentioned, very contagious, and yet so easily controlled.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since the child has been diagnosed, hopefully they can get it cured, right away.

Prayers sent for her quick recovery.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm living proof that childhood vaccinations don't last forever.

My oldest son is a physician. I had him and his family camped in my basement while he was getting his practice up and running. Live-in doctor!

Then I came down with something that just floored me. Fever, weakness, fatigue, and a peculiar cough. I had it for four or five weeks, and was just starting to mend.

About then, my live-in physician comes upstairs, scratches his head, and sez, Dad, I think you have pertussis. But don't worry. It's a bacterial infection and antibiotics will take care of it.

Now you tell me.

Be not weary in well doing.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by denton
I'm living proof that childhood vaccinations don't last forever.

My oldest son is a physician. I had him and his family camped in my basement while he was getting his practice up and running. Live-in doctor!

Then I came down with something that just floored me. Fever, weakness, fatigue, and a peculiar cough. I had it for four or five weeks, and was just starting to mend.

About then, my live-in physician comes upstairs, scratches his head, and sez, Dad, I think you have pertussis. But don't worry. It's a bacterial infection and antibiotics will take care of it.

Now you tell me.

There has been an on again off again outbreak of pertussis in W. MT. for several years now. I talked to the county health office a while back and asked them what the percentage of vaccinated vs non vaccinated persons were. They told me 90% of those testing positive for pertussis had been vaccinated.

There have been similar out breaks of other childhood diseases like measles in the US and Canada that have had well over 50% of victims vaccinated.

Unfortunately a lot of people(including myself) have been under the assumption that vaccinations were a done deal, or at least that's what the med. system had told us, until recently. Now they're pushing boosters and more vaccines to the point the CDC schedule recommends about 70 vaccines for newborn to 18, then a handful more when heading to college, not to mention seasonal flu shots.

After looking into medical issues out of curiosity and for personal issues through the years I have read enough research papers to conclude the US medical system has major gaps in their knowledge and skill base. A study done back in 2000 by Dr. Barbara Starfield http://www.jhsph.edu/research/cente...policy-center/Publications_PDFs/A154.pdf found that our medical system is the third leading cause of death in the US. Her study has since been verified by other legitimate studies. Lets just say I'm a little more leery of medical claims now than I used to be.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vaccines arent nessisarily life long...used to not be a big deal cause nearly every kid was vaccinated effectively haulting the disease before it can get a foothold...,now with 1 in 6 kids not vaccinated it is an issue and the vaccines you got for some diseases as a kid will no longer protect you....you used to have "herd immunity" and thats what allowed parents opting out to get away with it for awhile.....we are in the 80's% area now....soon as we drop to 70% chit is going to get really phuggin scary for all elderly and every parent with a kid to young to get a vaccination

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
in Florida, you can't enroll your kids in the government schools without proof of vaccination.

Will the little girls be vaccinated now? Pertussis is, as I mentioned, very contagious, and yet so easily controlled.

I think the pertussis vaccines now are a series, and she'd had a couple but still caught it. In fact I remember seeing them back in May all grumpy and sore from shots. She'll get the rest of the series.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I got it when I was appx 43. I"d been vaccinated.

Wasn't a damn thing to do about it either, went on for 6 miserable months. Daytime not bad, nighttime cough until you pass out and hit the floor and then start breathing again..

Best wishes for the child! I wouldn't wish it on anyone as a disease.

Caught it in a big ER in Houston TX when my nephew got sick and was hauled in from a gun show.... he had a virus or something... his mother and myself and he all ended up with pertussis.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I was vaccinated as a child but still got whooping cough when I was 16. The stuff is nasty and I can definitely see how kids have died. They call it a 100 day cough because that is how long you have it. I have read a study that says the vaccine is only good for about 3 years now they believe.

I couldn't run because if I started breathing heavy I would cough uncontrollably. I did cough all day and sometimes would have to vomit so I could clear my throat enough to breath. I do also remember coughing so hard it would bust the blood vessels in my eyes. I looked like a freak with red blood shot eyes and everyone thought I was dying. The good news it I got one hell of a six pack working my stomach that much.

My advice is to get to a really dry warm climate and wish you the best of luck. It is really nasty, nasty stuff.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 55 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,365
Posts18,488,166
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.