Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Post your reasons for why we should or should not use the electoral college for the presidential election.

One who is a vegetarian is not living life too the fullest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The reasons for it: Federalist Paper 68

The reason against: Anti-Federalist Paper 72

My opinion? I hate the way that the electoral college works. There needs to be serious reform there. On the other hand, I cannot think of a better system.

The only thing that the Founders worried about just as much as they worried about a single tyrant is the tyranny of a mob rule.

A direct democracy, as explained in Federalist 10, allows for large factions. You need a Republic to create countless factions that overlap and therefore prevent any one faction from becoming a tyrannical power.

So, I don't like it's structure and lack of oversight or lack of standardization. But I cannot think of a better system.

Maybe a three way election? The President is elected by giving the winner of the popular vote 1 point, the winner of the 270 electoral votes 1 point, and the winner of a vote of the 50 State Legislature's 1 point. The candidate that gets 2 points wins. In the event of a third party candidate winning a point and creating a 3 way tie, the 270 electoral votes wins.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The electoral college prevented Al Gore from becoming president, it proved it's worth right there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
without it, you would have about 5 city-states electing the president, the massive metro areas of the U.S. (IMO)

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
The electoral college prevented Al Gore from becoming president, it proved it's worth right there.

This is a good point for sure�but its part of a vast corrupt system that needs badly to be dismantled.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H-a-J
Interesting proposal you bring forth, it certainly would spread the influence around and keep any one area from realy gaining a strangle hold on the office. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Maybe, maybe not. I understand why we have it, but I'm not convinced the electoral really helps smaller states and it may hurt. Here is what I think is happening.

In strong conservative states conservative voters are less motivated to show up at the polls in national elections. I know that is the case here in GA. Many conservatives know the republican voter will win here without their vote. So why bother. As long as the politician of their choice gets GA's electoral votes, their individual vote means nothing.

In places like California the liberal candidate is going to win no matter what. I believe there are an awful lot of conservative voters in places like California and in the Northeast that simply stay at home since they know their vote means nothing.

Having the electoral college makes voter fraud much easier. Under the current system corrupt politicians can pinpoint 3-4 large cities in 3-4 states and influence the vote in only a few small geographical areas enough to swing the election one way or another. Much harder to do that if the election is decided on the popular vote.

I simply believe the electoral college hurts conservatives more than liberals despite the results of the 2000 election. I honestly believe that if the election at that time had been the result of popular vote instead of the electoral college Gore would have still lost, and without the fiasco in Florida. I don't think we would have Obama now either.

Last edited by JMR40; 07/13/14.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kid0917
without it, you would have about 5 city-states electing the president, the massive metro areas of the U.S. (IMO)

JMR40's post kind of says we have that now, but I think this points to the real value of the electoral college. Without it, a presidential candidate will only have to campaign in urban areas on urban issues. The real divide in this country is urban vs. rural, and abolishing the electoral college would increase that divide and weaken rural areas even further.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't think we would have Obama now either.

I don't think it would have mattered in that election. Between a weak Republican Candidate and people out to prove that they were not racist, Obama was a given, at that time in history. Re-election still puzzles me as it makes on sense at all. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate that the EC voters only have to vote the way they see fit. The is no law or oversight that forces then to represent their State. The popular vote can be for one guy and the EC can still vote for another.

I also hate the nonstandard way things are done. Some States give the popular vote winner ALL of the State EC votes while others will break the EC votes up based upon percentages. That's only if they aren't doing what I mentioned in the first paragraph.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm for the electoral college, but there should be the same number for each state. No one state should be any more or less important than any other.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't really agree with that concept 100%.

If your State has 9 people and mine has 1 person. You are making my votes 10x more valuable than yours and the overall vote doesn't capture the sentiment of the Nation as a whole. 90% of the people would be equal with 10%.

I think that the EC is a decent system that needs some big changes, but the concept is great. I would want to offset it in a manner similar to what you're saying by have the individual State Legislature's vote and that vote count as much as the EC vote.

That way you can take what you're proposing into consideration and give the States some of their power back over the Fed's

Turdlike, by default.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
50 states, 50 electoral votes. Seems pretty fair to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
50 states, 50 electoral votes. Seems pretty fair to me.

Not even close to a representation of the people though...

Turdlike, by default.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sure it is. If you aren't going by popular vote, then 1 electoral vote per state.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Of course it's not near as nice as knowing 11 or so states are a good representation of the other 39.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You touch on the issues that I have with the EC. So, I see what you're saying.

The State's that do the all or nothing vote with their EC votes do not take into account the percentages of the popular vote.

Candidate A get's 55% of the State vote, Candidate B get's 45% of the State popular vote, and Candidate A walks away with 100% of the EC votes for that State. That completely ignores the popular vote, especially if the State is one with a massive population.

That's why I like the idea of giving the popular vote equal footing with a vote of the State Legislature's (another way of doing what you propose), and balancing that with the system set in place to balance them, namely the EC.... use all three. Then you have State Soverignity preserved, the popular vote championed (reflecting the will of the people) and a mechanism to keep one group from over powering the other via a better EC.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Of course it's not near as nice as knowing 11 or so states are a good representation of the other 39.

Agreed. It's crap.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Electoral College is not the problem, the problem is voting fraud, and until its taken seriously and people caught committing voter fraud get to serve serious jail time, then there are going to be problems. Voter Id's and making sure the voter lists are accurate, will go a long way. My state lost electoral votes, we were 8 now we are 6 and Texas picked up some. Going straight popular vote will mean a few big cities will decide the issue, just look at Canada, for the most part Ontario calls the shots and the rest of them, just shut up and here is the bill.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No, the real problem are all the [bleep] idiots that vote.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,522
Posts18,491,039
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.