Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Long range shooting is within reach for those with the time, money, interest, place to do it, some knowledge and a plan.Don't even try to short-cut any of those. Those criteria do tend to eliminate most, but for those that are left its hardly rocket science. Just another skill-set that is in many ways easier than shooting offhand at close range.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
GB1

BriGuy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Long range shooting is within reach for those with the time, money, interest, place to do it, some knowledge and a plan.Don't even try to short-cut any of those. Those criteria do tend to eliminate most, but for those that are left its hardly rocket science. Just another skill-set that is in many ways easier than shooting offhand at close range.

I found that I spend far more money making my ammo than I did before reloading. Not that the ammo cost more, because it's cheaper per bullet cost however I shoot more often so I buy larger quantities of powder, primer, and bullets. In a years time I spend more money than I initially realized I would.

When I shot factory ammo, I didn't shoot nearly as much because the cost of ammo didn't foster the desire to spend. I got into reloading because first I wanted to save money. However that was a fantasy because sense I'm making the ammo, I may as well make the best ammo I possibly can for my rifles. Which leads to testing ammo, which leads to wanting to shoot more often. The savings are offset by the frequency in which I shoot so my cost actually went up. On the plus side I did improve my skill.

Last edited by BriGuy; 06/15/14.
BobinNH Guess what you my friend have assumed way to much when you decided I wasn't a long range shooter. If its all the same to you I'll keep shooting long range(well over 1000 meters) till I get the BC thing figured out) and no one and I mean no one with impeccable judgment takes a 700 yard running shot. The guy with impeccable judgment waits till he stops. than ranges with his vector 21,(he has a vector 21 cause he has impeccable judgment) he reads the mirage and decides with his impeccable judgment if he has the skill knowledge and equipment to make that shot. But what do I know I am a savage who knows nothing about BCs.

I'm good with being a sheepdog
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That would be exactly how I'd deal with a 700 yard shot. Heck I'd prefer the animal to bed first...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
no shame in sneaking up on stuff...although have had one or two times leaving gear behind and having a heck of a time finding it...:)

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
...although have had one or two times leaving gear behind and having a heck of a time finding it...:)

I did this once. Quite stressful.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
and daylight's fading...

Defend the Constitution
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BriGuy

I found that I spend far more money making my ammo than I did before reloading. Not that the ammo cost more, because it's cheaper per bullet cost however I shoot more often so I buy larger quantities of powder, primer, and bullets. In a years time I spend more money than I initially realized I would.

When I shot factory ammo, I didn't shoot nearly as much because the cost of ammo didn't foster the desire to spend. I got into reloading because first I wanted to save money. However that was a fantasy because sense I'm making the ammo, I may as well make the best ammo I possibly can for my rifles. Which leads to testing ammo, which leads to wanting to shoot more often. The savings are offset by the frequency in which I shoot so my cost actually went up. On the plus side I did improve my skill.

Wait until your powder order starts involving a fork-lift, and buying/building a 1/2 mile + range makes more sense than borrowing one all the time. wink

Let me make it clear I don't shoot animals at over 1000 meters but I do shoot at those ranges and I do it very often I get as close as I can I with every shot I take on a wild animal out of respect for the animal. I can totally relate to the guy who said he got into reloading to save a little money but all hell broke loose when he got into long range shooting. I got into reloading as a kid it was a gift from my father I started dabbling in long range shooting over 20 years ago with 300 win mag and what I thought was an expensive scope. Since that time I have several long range comp rifles that I have topped with scopes that really are expensive but the ammo is still the most expensive part. Briguy I can totally relate to setting your [bleep] down and than having to pull a search and rescue mission to find it. Point I learned is make sure its not so well camouflaged you cant see it either. BobinNH I didn't learn to shoot long range on the internet and by the way your Tie is crooked. I stand behind what I said a 30-06 is a fine rifle. I have a 308 I shoot it often in my opinion its a remarkable tool when learning to shoot long range cheap to shoot, great barrel life and the low bc makes you learn the art before you jump into the high bc calibers.

BriGuy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Wait until your powder order starts involving a fork-lift, and buying/building a 1/2 mile + range makes more sense than borrowing one all the time. wink

I would have a very difficult time justifying the cost to my wife. She already thinks I've gone nuts with the money I spend. It's all pointless until she runs out of ammo for her .243

IC B3

N
NTG Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
700 yrds running and dropped him in his tracks".

After your last BS you should have asked him how he calculated for 10 feet of bullet drop while leading the deer by 20 feet (which is roughly the distance the running deer will cover in the time it takes the bullet to travel for approx. 1 second). In a mil-dot reticle that lead on the deer is approximately at the left/right post of the crosshair, and how are you going to estimate bullet drop on the fly with that running deer, which will be out of scope view...very hard to do. What's even better is he that he likely did it with a simple duplex, crosshair of some type. Like someone famous said, there's an idiot born everyday.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would have a very difficult time justifying the cost to my wife. She already thinks I've gone nuts with the money I spend. It's all pointless until she runs out of ammo for her .243

Presentation is everything. Bulk buying is "Being economical", buying a range is a "Real estate investment". grin

BriGuy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good point

Presentation is everything. Bulk buying is "Being economical", buying a range is a "Real estate investment". grin
I'm definitely using the bulk buying comment even if it gets me in trouble (I've got some reloading to do anyhow)

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by rost495

I fail to see why most folks think snipers are such good shots.

Because I've seen my Dad shoot before his eyes started getting bad...and he always said he was the worst shot in his scout/sniper unit.

To the OP, why not a 30-06? You're right it's a great round and I've taken deer with both a 30-06 and a .300 Winnie, really didn't make any difference in getting the deer or not or making a quick kill.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Had a guy tell me about a month ago that with the book minimum charge of H4895 and a 150 SST his drop @ 500yds was 20" with his rifle zeroed dead on @ 76yds from his 30/06. I got 2 bullchits out before his Dad chimed in and told me it was true. That got 2-3 more bullchits out, and a nice exchange of back and forths.

Funny when I invited them out to our 600yd spot they had other stuff to do and shooting that far is nothing but wasting ammo. I told him they would be wasting ammo because they would be lucky to hit the damn ground at that distance.

My response is always "wow, how far does the bullet drop at that distance?"

The BS is even better then

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It was a 70 yard shot with the usual numnutz multiplier ....

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.............Why not the 30-06?

Why not for me? Because of fear of falling into a boredom induced comma? grin

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Had a guy tell me about a month ago that with the book minimum charge of H4895 and a 150 SST his drop @ 500yds was 20" with his rifle zeroed dead on @ 76yds from his 30/06. I got 2 bullchits out before his Dad chimed in and told me it was true. That got 2-3 more bullchits out, and a nice exchange of back and forths.

Funny when I invited them out to our 600yd spot they had other stuff to do and shooting that far is nothing but wasting ammo. I told him they would be wasting ammo because they would be lucky to hit the damn ground at that distance.

My response is always "wow, how far does the bullet drop at that distance?"

The BS is even better then

This doesn't deal with shooting but it's pretty good. Was in the LGS the other day and same ol'dipchit is in there. A guy asks if I ever put out a mineral block for deer and we talk about his use of them.

Anyways, ol'dipchit chimes in......I used to use deer cocaine.........no one responds.

It worked pretty good....

Other guy responds, yeah I have never used it.

Ol'dipchit, worked good until they changed it, it used to have real cocaine in it.

That took us into another back and forth about his stupidity that ended in the store owner and another shopper nearly laying in the floor from laughter.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Bbear
I wouldn't think of taking a '700 yard shot' at walking deer, much less a running deer. I have more respect for the game than that.

If you practiced shooting more often you might change your mind wink

I can relate to that. I kept telling my wife that if she was a better teacher she wouldn't have to work those 12 hour days 6 days a week(plus brought home work), and her Sundays could be less than 8 hours... And she could actually take off those 6 weeks of "summer vacation"....

Good thing she got into Administration. Haven't seen her since, except for supper. I leave it warm for her...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 1234, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 21, 66 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,414
Posts18,470,481
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.