Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
http://www.gunblast.com/Marlin-1895CB.htm

Is Jeff Quinn right? Has the Freedom Group got their act together now?

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It�s good to see Marlin back on track.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just in time for the move to Alabama(?). After all the trouble they had setting up those machines after moving from Connecticut and training a new workforce, they will get to do the process all over again. That should keep the quality spotty for a while.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It looks like the forearm is back to the slimmer version of the older guns. I like that.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Check out the last issue or the one before that one of Rifle magazine. I believe Brien Pierce has article on the new Marlins.

358win

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good for them.

1Minute
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had my 45-70 for 3 weeks and can find no fault with it.
It looks and feels like my 1894s in 41 mag i have had for 12+ years.
The only thing that might need a look at is the wood seems to be a tad large where the stock and tang meet.

But it shoots and works smoothly.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The last two 336s I looked at, had the front sight dovetails cut crooked, but that was back last winter, and they might have straightened them out by now.

The wood was pretty proud, too, and the finish left a lot to be desired on that wood. I wasn't impressed, but it didn't matter to me, because I wasn't in the market anyhow.

The wood's finish had an orange tinge to it that was off-putting as well. Overall, I'd have run away into the night screaming, if I'd been wanting one.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I looked at an 1895 SBL 45-70 and I couldn't find any flaws. I sure like that rifle. As nice as the one I have is I may need one of those. 9 lever guns are more than I'll probably ever use, not sure I need another 45-70.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I want that exaxt rifle in 450M

Really

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I had a Marlin in 450 and last year was looking to replace it with a new 45 70 the quality was like two different manufacturers. You could hold the stock and practically shack the new 45 70 apart. Wood was very proud and ill fitting. Walked away wishing I still had the 450..
I had serious intentions of purchasing one but after looking at several and they all were same way I decided to wait and see if Marlin got their poop in a group after they move.

Romey
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not seen anything on the new gun racks locally that leads me to believe that Remlin has gotten their act together. Poor wood to metal fit, improperly indexed barrels, gritty actions and triggers. They have their work cut out for them to convince me to buy a new Remlin levergun ever.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Even IF they get all the mechanical stuff done correctly, the flat finish and laminates they use so much of, turns me off.

Agreed that I am a relic ( old fart), but I still like walnut and polished steel. I understand that this generation can't kill stuff without flat or drab finishes while wearing head to foot camo, but many of us dinosaurs do quite well with jeans or wool and nicely finished firearms.

I have no intention to impose my likes upon others, but choices would be nice. However, I have enough firearms of all types to finish out my allotted days. I will survive the current trends. The only firearm I have need of is a 28 ga and those are still available in a format that is pleasing to me.

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 07/16/14.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ditto. I�ve had a couple of the more recent Marlins (still JM) and while they were okay, they just don�t hold a candle to the old ones for looks or smoothness. Got a 1955 336 SC and everything is polished, wood is that deep reddish tone � actually it�s gorgeous wood for any factory rifle, and it is very accurate.

[Linked Image]

You're not going to find wood like this from Remlin.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Ditto. I�ve had a couple of the more recent Marlins (still JM) and while they were okay, they just don�t hold a candle to the old ones for looks or smoothness. Got a 1955 336 SC and everything is polished, wood is that deep reddish tone � actually it�s gorgeous wood for any factory rifle, and it is very accurate.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Marlins were never known for good wood. In fact I havent seen a single one with decent wood.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Until now... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Marlins were never known for good wood. In fact I havent seen a single one with decent wood.

You havent seen many Marlins from the 1950s then. I have seen many with wood similar to the one pictured above.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Marlin lost me whenever they started producing leverguns with that extra stupid safety. As long as I buy the ones that don't have the extra stupid safety I don't have to worry about how Remington screwed them up.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Here is another with wood that sucks.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Huntz; 07/16/14.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
And another sucky wood Marlin!!!
[Linked Image]

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

165 members (1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 6mmCreedmoor, 16 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,334
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.