Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Now he's assuredly the most admired athlete in all of professional sports.

For too close to the most part, professional sports have become more of an American disgrace than a source of American pride. NFL players covered in tattoos yelling expletives while prancing and preening for individual stardom. There is a reason why I don�t watch NFL games. I much prefer NCAA fotball.

The NBA has been a lost cause for decades. It has tried to shed its gang-banger image that its players sought. But the damage was done. You couldn�t pay me to go to an NBA game. I�d rather watch curling than an NBA game.

Years ago, when Joe Torre managed the Yankees, the team traded for former LA Dodger, Raul Mondesi. Immediately after hitting his first home run as a Yankee, he ran the bases gloating and snubbing opposing players. Joe Torre met Mondesi at the dish and told him, �You�re a Yankee. You will not do that [gloat] here.

If we�re lucky, once-in-a-generation an athlete like Derek Jeter comes along. Not only did Jeter have excellent talent, he has exemplary character. There was a reason why he is the most admired athlete in America; well, he was until last night.

Mike Trout is the best athlete in all of professional sports. Not only does he possess exceptional skill, he is beyond humble. At 21 (last year), he was compared to Mickey Mantle whom many consider the best to have ever played the game. He never seeks self-gratification. (No home run dance for him like end zone dances in the NFL.) He is motivated by helping the Angels win. He is grounded, assuredly due to his parents. In short, he is the prototypical All-American kid with exceptional athletic skills. While baseball is his sport, there is no doubt in my mind that he could have excelled in the NFL. I hope that he would never consider playing in the NBA, not that I think he couldn�t. In case you�re not on board with Troutmania yet, he�s a hunter & fisherman.

This year, at 22, is his third year in MLB. Last night was his third All Star game. He won MVP last night. There is no limit to this kid�s ability. There is a reason why Arte Moreno, a US Army veteran of the Vietnam War, a self-made billionaire, and a man of honor and character gave Trout a 25 mil-a-year contract. With endorsements, God only knows how much he'll earn. His contract will expire in 6 years when he'll be in the prime of his career. Some sports writers predict the he'll become professional sports first billion dollar athlete.

I�ve been an Angels fan since before Angels Stadium was under construction in the mid 60�s. I have seen many Angels come & go. I have never, ever seen any baseball player like Mike Trout. I hope to go to many more home games this year and for the rest of his career.

BTW, while watching the Angels play at Angels Stadium, there are probably more Mike Trout fans in attendance than there are Angels fans. In essence, fans go to Angels game to see Mike Trout and not necessarily the Angels.

Just in case you're not yet convinced, check out this Jayson Stark article about Mike Trout.

If you think Mike Trout couldn't play in the NBA, check out this jump. How many professional athlete could match Trout's jump:

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Mike Trout is the best athlete in all of professional sports.

Absolutely impossible for this to be determined and is plain silly to state.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You are right on the money. We watch MLB very closely here, there is nothing quite like him. We are very big NHL fans also, Trouts attitude very much resembles what a lot of NHL guys show for personality, and it s good stuff.
It is tough not to be jaded though, so many disappoint, think Lance Armstrong, I was a believer there for sure, looking back with 20/20 we should have known.....I hope this turns out good, but for sure, there are not so nice people out there digging and digging to try to discredit Trout, and that sucks

1/504 PIR
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
He's a stud, no doubt... Now will you guys please go into a tailspin to give the A's a little breathing room! wink

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hubris!

� A swabbie on the base had a glorious voice and used it well. On week-ends, he was a regular on a top-rated radio variety show in New York, with an excellent national fan following. But away from the microphone up there, he was apparently just as unbearably a prima donna as he was on the base during the week. The nation was surprised one week-end � and came down hard on the host of the show � when the host announced quietly that the kid's career was going to continue elsewhere.

The "kid," now in his eighties like me, continued to have some success as a singer (and a good one), but with nothing like the national following that he enjoyed between 1951 and 1953.

� A high-school classmate of my brothers' signed with the Yankees. Was just a bit too proud of himself. Dropped from sight like an unchained anchor. I can't even find him on Google.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (1minute, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 219 Wasp, 42 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,587
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.