Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The War Against Police

By Rick Collins on Wednesday, July 16, 2014 �

When I got into law enforcement, the threat against cops seemed easier to see. Easier to discern. Gang bangers and Neo-Nazis wore their colors proudly. We were trained how to read the tattoos, dress styles and haircuts. As I became an officer working with gangs, I became more proficient and knowledgeable. I will openly admit, it�s fun for me to be able to look at someone�s tattoos and educate a new officer the history of every tattoo that person his wearing�especially if the individual is trying to tell the officer he has no gang history. More than once, a gang banger tried to tell an unfamiliar officer he wasn�t �banging,� saw me, and knew the gig was up. I can say proudly, the investment in my training and education has been well spent.

I learned early on the way my relationship with �bangers� and cops, �You do what you do, I gotta do what I do.� Those words will always haunt me. Always. They were a warning by a banger that had just been released from prison. On one hand, he was telling me he respected the job I had to do. He and I were part of a �game.� If I caught him, I win, but he wasn�t going to make it an easy win. If, however, he ever caught me �slipping,� he would win. That part he didn�t have to say. His face was saying it all. I promised I would try to never be caught slipping.

Should I be surprised gang bangers hate cops? Of course I shouldn�t. We�ve been watching this �game� play out since at least the birth of urban street gangs during the prohibition. As they have grown, they have also been popularized and glamorized. With that glamorization, they have become mainstream. For my generation, that popularity reached a climax when the LA-based gangster rap group NWA hit the airways with �F* the Police.� I didn�t know a single upper middle-class suburban white kid that didn�t own it. We sympathized with the anti-establishment mentality expressed from these hardcore �straight outta Compton� poets. We, too, knew a good day meant that we didn�t �even have to use our AK.� Not to be out done, another rap artist from LA, Ice-T, brought us the song �CopKiller,� a song that glorified the murder of police officers. �CopKiller� outraged Charleton Heston so much, he took to reading the lyrics at the Time Warner shareholders meeting. Using his celebrity, he persuaded the Time Warner board to drop the song from Ice-T�s �Body count� album.

Now, law enforcement faces a new threat. That new threat comes from those that view us as a threat, not because we are trying to stop their criminal enterprises, arrest someone for a warrant, and keep a gang from victimizing the weak. The new threat is coming from a growing fringe that sees cops as a loophole to the Posse Comitatus Act. Falling prey to the �if I read it on the internet, it must be true� mentality, this community is now prepared to take up arms against cops. Some are looking for a fight, some are hoping for a fight, and, as we saw in Las Vegas, some want the fight.

Over time, I have grown annoyed by those trying to bait cops on YouTube. You know those videos. Those guys that go out strapped and pace the streets (at least, I picture them pacing. I really don�t know) with a GoPro or other type of camera at the ready, waiting for the officer to pull up and ask to talk to them. Then, they excitedly tell the officer they are just out walking the street exercising their rights, quote case law, refuse to provide ID, and the entire time, try to get the officer to escalate the situation. In their minds, they are completely justified teaching the officers how to do their job, at the same time imaging they are going to have the next video to go �bird flu� viral. I often wonder if they ever consider what is going through the officer�s mind. The officer is responding to a call from dispatch because a neighbor called the police concerned seeing someone walking down the street armed. The officer is mentally preparing for the worst case scenario. When he comes on scene, instead of dealing with a mentally ill person, hell bent on killing everyone, he�s now has to deal with someone that just wants to be a jerk for views on YouTube. My biggest fear is one of these situations will, one day, start out as a battle of wills and end in a firefight.

The scenario that has played out in my mind is a poorly trained officer (or an officer with poor people and communication skills) shows up on scene, weapon drawn at the low ready, causing the armed citizen to feel threatened and drawing his weapon. Before cooler heads can prevail, shots are fired. Think I�m too far out there? Just last week, an open carry advocate in Georgia drew down on an other open carrier, demanding his ID�something police in Georgia can�t do.

When supporters rallied to the side of Cliven Bundy, many supporters, including the Bundy�s, were comparing the situation to those in Waco, Texas and Ruby Ridge, Idaho. No matter your opinion regarding those incidents, the actions that lead up to each or the actions of the officers involved, one thing is important to remember: These were situations when law enforcement officers were serving lawful orders of the court. I know some will compare this to the German solider in World War II �just following orders.� I beg to differ. One case involved a warrant, issued by a court. The other was a search warrant for illegal weapons. They weren�t marching women and children to their deaths in gas chambers, and the comparison is abhorrent. That is the same argument Timothy McVey tried to use to justify his bombing of Federal Building in Oklahoma City. It saddens me to think this may be the shared opinion of many in the pro 2A community.

While we in law enforcement mourn their deaths and the deaths of all our other brothers and sisters, like that of Officer Melvin Santiago who was gunned down in an ambush in Jersey City, New Jersey, some will roll their eyes, vexed with talk of �hero cops,� quick to remind that law enforcement isn�t even that dangerous of a job � statistically speaking. Statistics are a funny thing. Gun owners, as well as gun-grabbers, love to use them to win the argument. Haven�t we learned by now that statistics don�t tell the whole story?

When a neighbor tried to make the argument that logging was more dangerous than law enforcement, I hid my annoyance behind mocking laughter. I don�t know many loggers (in fact, I don�t know if I know any right now), but is logging so dangerous that they are being assaulted on and off the job, just because they are loggers? Are loggers getting killed when they are on their lunch break? Deaths in logging are usually results of accidents. Deaths in law enforcement are usually the result of felonious assaults. I�m not trying to minimize the hazards of logging, or fishing, or mining. They appear to be hard, dirty careers. Thanks to Mike Rowe and the Discovery Channel, I�ve seen the back-breaking work, and I know its not for me. However, when organizations like Earth Liberation Front attack logging sites, law enforcement officers are asked to put their lives on the line to protect the loggers.

Some look at SWAT teams as a new and growing attack on their civil rights. I don�t know if I ever thought I would see a time when those that so proudly display bumper stickers reading things such as �ACLU � American Communist Lawyers Union� are in the same parking lot as those with the �Fight crime � Stop the NRA� bumper sticker. However, that is what is being created by the fear of the �warrior cop.� Many seem to fear the practice of law enforcement agencies acquiring surplus military equipment. Wondering why their local police agency will ever need a MRAP. Take a moment after reading this article and watch a video as to how police in Texas used their MRAP to disable Ron Lee Haskell�s car. Here was a man that had already killed, and was on his way to kill more people. To protect the community and the officers, two armored vehicles kept him pinned in place. The use of armored vehicles was the best and right decision. The worst thing about any law enforcement incident comes at the end. We get all the time we want to be critical of a decision an officer had a split second to make. It is so easy to say the decision was made because he is a �thug,� �full of rage,� or �tripped on power.� Seldom does anyone stop to think that the officer may have made the decision based on �training� or �prescribed tactics.�

As I finish, I know I�m not going to �make friends,� convince, or change the minds of many. I get that. Maybe we as officers are to blame, or maybe people look at the current president and believe local LEO is the first phalanx in his war against them, their gun rights and their civil rights. For whatever reason, cops have become the enemy at the gate, and people are ready to go to war. Those who once stood with law enforcement, when Charleton Heston stood in front of Time-Warner�s board and shareholders, have now turned their back on cops. Ice T and Ice Cube, who once glorified the beating and killing of cops, are now portraying it on television and movies.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A couple things. I guess he doesn't think that they had courts and warrants in NAZI Germany. And, no, most cops are not killed in felonious assaults, they are killed in traffic accidents. And my father, his father, and his father before him were loggers, and yes, it is a much more dangerous job than being a cop.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Excellent article!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good article TLee

but one thing stood out to me in his treatise is this statement in his closing paragraph

"Maybe we as officers are to blame, or maybe people look at the current president and believe local LEO is the first phalanx in his war against them, their gun rights and their civil rights."

I do believe that's a large part of the problem with today's LEO, there are abuses by LEO and often it seems those abuses go not only unpunished, but defended by their fellow officers.

same with politicians, reasonable folks know a certain percentage of incidents will be foul

but when those entrusted to make certain we are "protected" end up protecting mainly their own, well public perception drops rapidly

we have some great LEO on this site, and here in my local community. I feel bad for them that the actions of some LEO end up putting those folks in a negative light to those they ultimately choose to serve.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

" or maybe people look at the current president and believe local LEO is the first phalanx in his war against them, their gun rights and their civil rights."

Apparently he does not have Rovering and TRH on ignore.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
A couple things. I guess he doesn't think that they had courts and warrants in NAZI Germany. And, no, most cops are not killed in felonious assaults, they are killed in traffic accidents. And my father, his father, and his father before him were loggers, and yes, it is a much more dangerous job than being a cop.

The BIG difference is that when cops get killed,it is mostly a result of MALICE. Malice aimed specifically at them. I hope you can make that distinction.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Propaganda piece.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

The BIG difference is that when cops get killed,it is mostly a result of MALICE. Malice aimed specifically at them. I hope you can make that distinction.

Actually, no, MOSTLY when cops get killed it the result of human error causing a traffic accident.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My only comment is that somebody needs to refer Rick Collins to the OathKeepers site and send him some information.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I guess if we totally disarmed all Americans, the police would feel safer?

evidently this article comes from HERE

The comments following the article are interesting

Last edited by Mannlicher; 07/18/14.

Sam......

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
An excellent, well illustrated by examples, post. My hat is off to you, TLee. E

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've known lots of loggers and cops. First f all, most cops are not killed in traffic accidents. That's nonsense.
Second, while both are dangerous jobs, cops are usually killed by malicious people. Loggers rarely are. E

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I've known lots of loggers and cops. First f all, most cops are not killed in traffic accidents. That's nonsense.
Second, while both are dangerous jobs, cops are usually killed by malicious people. Loggers rarely are. E

If we are talking statistics about which is more dangerous, what does it matter how they were killed? I have no idea of the statistics but neither maliciousness or accidents should be a consideration when counting statistics about death rates.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Propaganda piece.

Damm, you must have been busy at the "Bierhall" with Horst. Almost ten posts got ahead of you...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the read TLee.

My observation is that the majority on the 24hr are law abiding but also aggressive individuals. I maintain that the majority here (if put in uniform) wouldn't make it a year without a complaint of aggressive policing. Thin blue line? Well you bet, most cops recognize other cops are the only ones who truly understand the anger and frustration of dealing with the dregs of society, and knowing there is a huge percentage who resent their authority. I understood from living and growing up around LEOs and decided early on I wanted no part of dealing with the bullchitt that came with that job.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Okay, you got me. Traffic accidents wasn't the leading cause of death. But, using the statistics from the national law enforcement organization we see that accidental deaths of all types over the last decade for cops number 728 and intentional deaths numbered just 578. I left out job related illnesses because I'm not sure how you would classify those. I can see some of those resulting from eating too many donuts and some of those from getting stabbed ten years ago. So, we'll just set those aside.

Cop death statistics

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Interesting thread, in Australia it is fairly rare for a copper to be killed on the job and when it does happen we Australians get very pissy about it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dead is dead. Plain and simple and to argue the hows and whys is nuts because a family, wife,husband, mother, father is without their loved one for eternity.

OTOH, the face of law enforcement to the public has change dramatically and I thinking that we don;t trust the LEO community as we did without question in the past.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

For 2013, 44 deaths out of 100 were auto-type accidents (auto wrecks, hit by traffic, motorcycle wrecks etc). 34 out of 100 deaths were the result of MALICE (shooting, stabbing).

When you look at combined stats over the past 10 years, 650 deaths out of 1501 were the result of accidents. 587 were killed as a result of malice.

In both examples above, there were even more deaths that did not result from malice, but were accidental in nature that I did not include.

So, regardless of your thoughts on the article and the topic, the majority of LEO deaths result from accidents of one sort or another, not malice so that's the distinction one should make.

Montana MOFO
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Interesting thread, in Australia it is fairly rare for a copper to be killed on the job and when it does happen we Australians get very pissy about it.

Huh... I always thought you were from New Zealand

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,038 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,760
Posts18,495,496
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.