Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Certainly the ease of communication has played a major role in the distrust of police officers in the current age... When you see video after video and read story after story of cops doing things that make them look really bad in a innocent persons eyes, Yes it has a huge effect.

Who cares how the cops die... people die every day.. Cops, loggers, Electrical linemen, Fishers, Truck drivers, for that fact anyone who drives a vehicle, etc... To run around and claim that everything is about cop safety and a persons rights should not get in the way of the cops safety... is just plain bull and excuse for those that want to take rights away from subjects...

It would go a long way to restoring the faith in law enforcement if Cops were held responsible for their actions but as we know, they are not and the vast majority of cops will make sure and cover up or stand up for their brother in blue even if the brother is wrong

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tarkio
So, regardless of your thoughts on the article and the topic, the majority of LEO deaths result from accidents of one sort or another, not malice so that's the distinction one should make.

As long as were making this the focal point of the article, can we go ahead and establish "dangerous" to include life altering injury as well, break it down between accident and malice, and then get the data for loggers as well?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RWE
So, regardless of your thoughts on the article and the topic, the majority of LEO deaths result from accidents of one sort or another, not malice so that's the distinction one should make.

As long as were making this the focal point of the article, can we go ahead and establish "dangerous" to include life altering injury as well, break it down between accident and malice, and then get the data for loggers as well?

Well, since there is no National Logger's Association obsessing over every move loggers make and crying about their safety and how the poor little dears are "misunderstood" every second of the day, statistics are somewhat harder to come by and a bit more subjective at that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Interesting thread, in Australia it is fairly rare for a copper to be killed on the job and when it does happen we Australians get very pissy about it.

I think we have a few more police than you.

Quick google shows we have 765,000 sworn in local/state/university cops plus 120,000 federal cops (as of 2008).

So compare America's, 885,000 officers with Australia's 50,000'ish.

So out of 885,000 officers with arrest powers, we have about 58 deaths a year due to violence. So the average officer is likely to be killed due to violence after being on the force only 15,259 years. According to charts I've seen, it's far more dangerous being a roofer, trash collector, logger, farmer or fisherman than cop.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cfoi.pdf

Not making a statement. Just putting out the facts I've heard. I want every cop to go home safe every night. I want every person they interact with to go home safe. I want law abiding Americans to be treated with respect and benefit of the doubt, and cops to know the law.

I like almost every cop I've ever met. But I know a couple that shouldn't be allowed any power over another person.. and that's the kind that scares me.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RWE

I'm not making it a focal point, merely correcting a poster who stated a fact that LEOs are killed mostly from acts of malice.

I believe both are extremely dangerous jobs along with farming, mining, fishing etc. I think perhaps the difference poster was trying to make was that the job of a LEO is unique in that a significant amount of danger on the job is a result of a group of people intentionally trying to injure/kill you. It irks me when blanket statements are thrown out based on "facts" which clearly are not correct.

Montana MOFO
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Sako
It would go a long way to restoring the faith in law enforcement if Cops were held responsible for their actions but as we know, they are not and the vast majority of cops will make sure and cover up or stand up for their brother in blue even if the brother is wrong
Bingo!

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
With regard to the article, the writer admits there are people in law enforcement that don't have the appropriate skills or are not mentally capable to deal with such a stressful job or are not trained properly. That is a serious issue in a job that is so critical, important and dangerous.

And the real problem, I believe, is when one of these bad actors is shown to be in over his/her head in the job of LEO, many other LEOs knee-jerk to defend that officer rather than calling a spade a spade.

Montana MOFO
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I guess I'm just "old fashioned"... 'cause I respect those fine men and women in law enforcement. They're doing the very rough job we hire and pay them to do... so cut 'em some slack if a "bad one" comes along once in a while. And keep in mind all the "good ones" we have keeping the peace.

If a law enforcement officer sez "do this or that"... DO IT !!! He or she is just trying to survive another day. We law-abiding citizens MUST remember that our law-enforcement officers OFTEN must deal with CRIMINALS... those who would mug, shoot, rape, rob or murder us law-abiding citizens if they could.

The ONLY things that stand between us and the vicious predators we call "criminals" is our justice system and it's protectors/enforcers, the POLICE!

I've found that if you get stopped by a law enforcement officer and treat him or her with the reasonable respect they deserve, you will get the same level of respect BACK from them.

If you treat a law enforcement officer with malice and disrespect, don't be surprised if you get the SAME THING in return, but you probably won't unless you get ridiculous about it... but never forget that the police are human beings, too... and if "pushed" hard enough, they may react just as you might react if someone was showing great disrespect to you!

Over the years, I've rarely been stopped by the police because I obey the traffic laws and I don't "do" crime. But when I was stopped, I always treated the officer with friendly and honest respect because that is how I feel about the person "on-the-job"... and I've NEVER had ANY problem with ANY officer in ANY way... so giving respect "works", folks!!!

I've also found that those who oppose the "Cops" are usually someone we'd prefer NOT to have for neighbors. I've also noticed that SOME people simply LOOK for trouble... and they usually find it... maybe with YOU !~!~!

That's usually when you "Thank God for the Cops!" who stand between you and that big hulk who would bash in your head if given a chance.

Obviously, I'm not a "Cop-hater"... and neither are most decent, law-abiding citizens. We're not "sheep" either... we're merely "good citizens" who know why we hired those fine law enforcement officers to keep out streets safe and crime at arm's length.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ron_T
The ONLY things that stand between us and the vicious predators we call "criminals" is our justice system and it's protectors/enforcers, the POLICE!

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

No... going to respectfully disagree. The cops can do NOTHING to those vicious predators until there's a victim. The odds of a cop arriving in time to stop a crime in progress is small. So the only thing standing between you and your loved ones and the vicious predators is yourself.

They do, however, have the unenvious job of chasing down those predators after they've victimized one or more people and stopping them before they can commit more crimes. That I thank them for.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
If a law enforcement officer sez "do this or that"... DO IT !!! He or she is just trying to survive another day. We law-abiding citizens MUST remember that our law-enforcement officers OFTEN must deal with CRIMINALS... those who would mug, shoot, rape, rob or murder us law-abiding citizens if they could.

With all due respect, frick the cop. If I am not doing anything wrong, he has no legal authority over me. By their own words, they are law ENFORCEMENT officers. If I'm not breaking the law, then they are no better than me.

If a few more of them, particularly the younger ones would realize that and treat people with more respect, then attitudes would be a lot different.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rory (Calhoun), my friend....

Basically, as far as you went, you're right. However, if there were no law enforcement officers "on-the-job", can you imagine what the "streets" would be like???

I'd hate to ever see such a situation.

But I've said what I think and how I look at it... and I don't disagree with you at all. That's why I and my wife got our CCW permits and now legally "carry" whenever we leave the house... so obviously, I agree with your statement, as far as it went.

However, far more citizens don't "carry"... and depend on the streets to be safe for them to go about their legal business.... and WHO makes those streets "safe"???

That's right... the dedicated men and women of law enforcement we hire and train to be "out there"... day and night, rain or shine, hot or cold, day-after-day. I sure wouldn't wanna have to do their job!

Of course, "we" aren't all that concerned about having the police nearby... we're both "gun people" and are totally capable of protecting ourselves. I go target shooting almost every week... sometimes with rifles, sometimes with handguns... and occasionally, with riot-guns (short-barreled shotguns)... it's relaxing and a hobby for us, but we're not "average citizens", are we? And a criminal getting "involved" with us had better have his life insurance policy paid up-to-date, eh?

But I'm not talking about guys like us, Rory... I'm talking about the average smuck... the average "joe" who isn't able to handle a creep with a knife who wants his victim's wallet... OR his "life"!!!

Of course, with "us", that creep will find out why you should never take a knife to a gun-fight, won't he? grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Rory (Calhoun), my friend....

Basically, as far as you went, you're right. However, if there were no law enforcement officers "on-the-job", can you imagine what the "streets" would be like???

I'd hate to ever see such a situation.
Bad guys would likely be scared schitless if the police weren't around to arrest folks for taking necessary security measures and for dealing with criminals on the spot and in the act. It would quickly become a very polite and orderly society.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob

With all due respect, frick the cop. If I am not doing anything wrong, he has no legal authority over me. By their own words, they are law ENFORCEMENT officers. If I'm not breaking the law, then they are no better than me.

If a few more of them, particularly the younger ones would realize that and treat people with more respect, then attitudes would be a lot different.

The end.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this. The Glock 19 that I carry is all I need to stand between me and the vicious predators. I prefer to not condition the safety of my wife, kids, or myself upon the response time of local law enforcement. If I call them, there's no need for them to hurry to save me, because I will have already handled it. They can take their time on the paperwork.

Troy

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
No you don't have to disagree, HilhamHawk...

We see "eye-to-eye" on this subject. Read my WHOLE post (above), my friend. smile

Ron T.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Propaganda piece.
I don't think so, it's just a different perspective. Because it doesn't follow your world view doesn't mean it is politically motivated.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
That's good, because we agree on a lot of stuff. I'm not awed, or intimidated, by cops, and have no problem standing my ground with them. That said, there's a big difference between politely standing your ground and needlessly antagonizing one "because it's your right". Like you, I have NEVER had a bad dealing with a cop, even when I got a ticket cry But then, I was brought up to accept the consequences of my actions, and I never got a ticket I didn't deserve. I did have one, that was ignorant of the law, wrongfully arrest me one time, but, instead of showing my butt I went along with the arrest and got the charges thrown out in court.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The average, and I mean the majority of cops do not want you awed, or intimidated by them. Simply respect the job they are doing and not to break the laws, laws THEY did not put in place, that was done by elected officials. They are simply charged with enforcing them and keeping the general peace.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T LEE
The average, and I mean the majority of cops do not want you awed, or intimidated by them. Simply respect the job they are doing and not to break the laws, laws THEY did not put in place, that was done by elected officials. They are simply charged with enforcing them and keeping the general peace.

Amen. The vast majority do it very well, and are very much appreciated by the public (and myself).

While there are some here who start threads with the intention of bashing all cops, I consider the posting of truly bad cop threads as similar to the posting of threads about really bad politicians (or teachers, or <etc>). Best to shine a light on those specific individuals to oust them now. Similarly I love threads showing great cops like I enjoy threads about great politicians who are fighting to uphold the liberty of Americans. Shine a light on them as an example for everybody.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've never had but one bad experience with a cop, but that one left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

But I will say this, I am treated much better now that I'm in my 40s and driving a nice automobile than I was in my 20s. My attitude hasn't changed either. It just seems to offend them a lot less that I don't give an inch. And I'm not talking about being impolite, just not obsequious. Of course, even cops understand that forty some year old white guys, dressed nicely in nice cars are not the ones to frick with.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 67 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,413
Posts18,470,470
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.