Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Originally Posted by killindeer
if i wanted to try some in my 270 should i go with 130 or 150gr?

Start with the 130. You'll probably never see a need to leave it.

That's what happened to me about 40 years ago.

Brush or open,down they go!

Thing I like about Partitions is you pretty much know what's going to happen before the hammer falls.

Yep!!! Boringly predictable........LOL!!!

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by John_in_MS

Yep!!! Boringly predictable........LOL!!!

John in: One large mule deer took one through the shoulders at 80 yards in mid stride;saw his head snap down as the rifle recoiled,and he was piled up over the canyon rim. DRT(as they say) mid air. Nice exit,but no blood trail required. smile

A pal texted me frantically after a shoot fest(I heard the shooting)with a buck dodging through the hardwoods after a hot doe.I asked how the last shot felt, he said good,and heard nothing after that shot.

I said,"Well he's dead right up there",knowing the bullet and load (270-130 NPT). He was...had skidded maybe 20 feet.Shoulder shot again, and exit..... another blood trail not needed.

Life's full of too much other drama to worry about bullets and killing effect. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The particular Nosler Partition memory I have of is Wyoming Pronghorn hit on the point of the right shoulder at a paced 390 yards. This was with a 115-grain bullet at ~ 3100 fps from a 25/06, pre-LRF.

The buck took off in a mad sprint, right front leg flailing, for maybe forty yards before dying in his tracks (they all do grin). Anyway, the bullet broke the scapula, traversed the speed goat from corner to corner and actually exited the left ham.

That is about perfect performance and, yes, they work that way on deer too.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
George with a Partition through the chest they mostly seem not to go far. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yeah,mostly straight down! wink grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A partition is rarely the wrong choice for big game.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If ever........depending on the caliber and cartridge I guess.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Partitions are often the most accurate bullet in my hunting rifles, I always start load development with them.

I have hit WT deer with 300 gr Partitions from my 375 H&H and DID notice some expansion of the bullet along the length of the very LONG wound channels.

Trump Won!
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Of course, many people apparently don't field-dress their own deer, so assume an exit hole that isn't at least the size of a golfball means the bullet didn't expand. But anybody who's field-dressed a deer killed with a Partition should have been able to recognize interior evidence of effective expansion.
I've noticed this also with Accubond and TSX, a nickel size exit in the hide, but internal devastation. I prefer the partitions to the other two but have had rifles that didn't agree.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Fotis
A partition is rarely the wrong choice for big game.

Good post. Colonel Whelen has been quoted as saying "the 30-06 is never a mistake". We could paraphrase that to include Partitions.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I have seen partitions that had nothing left but the base of the bullet and the frame acros the center of the bullet. This particular kill was a 30-06 driven at about 2900 at 50 yards on a 100 pound doe. Shot entered the brisket and was recoverd in the ham....nothing left but a pencil eraser sized piece of metal. I personally wasn't impressed. When pushed too hard that front half tends to just disintergrate and peels back along the shank of the remaining portion of the bulet without creating a mushroom like you see in the pics.

I think they need to make the front half a little more stout and not disintegrate/peel back so quickly but that is pretty much already covered by the Swift A-Frame. There is a reason you can eat up to the hole on a partition wound and thats because it drives through rather than being stopped by flesh and innards. It is the reaction of the bullet after striking flesh that determines the amount of internal damage. Some bullets like the 85 grain Sierra HPBT kill all out of proportion to their size due to their explosivness, but that is not how a partition kills. It drives deep, hard and fast - as it was designed to do.

I think it depends on what you want the partition to do. If you want an exit and a blood trail you will probably get it. If you want instantaneous on the spot kills, you are less likely to get that from a partition than a cup and core bullet just due to the stout build of the partition versus the explosiveness of a cup and core. The Swift A-Frame is merely a partition on steriods, but very few people use that bullet for thin skinned game like deer.

I prefer a happy medium; I like a bullet that exits but also produces massive trauma. I could care less about a little lost meat as there is not limit on deer in S.C and rib meat isn't worth a crap anyway.

I figured you would get toasted pretty bad on this thread. "Nothing left but the base of the bullet and the frame across the center of the bullet" was exactly how they were designed to perform. Partitions are the gold standard of terminal performance industry wide. 90% of the time a new bullet design is introduced to the shooting public the first question asked by the public, gun writers, design engineers, etc is "How does it perform, relative to the partition?"

You say you want a bullet that exits but also produces massive trauma? That would be a partition, as well as many more designs out there.

Last edited by Godogs57; 07/15/14.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ive killed over 50 bg animals with NPs. They are still the best and brutal killing bullet. The front half opens up like a Berger causing lots of tissue damage and the rear punches through like a Barnes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Partitions just plain kill stuff. Period.

Anyone who thinks differently must not have used them.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Only shot one animal with one, a .30 cal 180gn out of a .308 win. through a deer. Textbook performance. Silver dollar sized exit hole and massive internal damage.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
any big advantage over a cup and core bullet?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by killindeer
any big advantage over a cup and core bullet?

The answer is "NO", USUALLY. The difference is that a Partition will perform at any angle on any critter and do what it is suppose to. The average bullet will kill most of the time without fail and with deer is probably plenty, but if you move up to elk, then I will take the Partition every time.

I have shot elk with Barnes, Hornady Interlocks and Nosler Partitions from a 7 mag. All worked fine, but I always trust the Partition. I shot a cow elk last January at 443 yards with a 160 Partition @ 3000fps from my Remington SPS and it blew through both shoulders like it was nothing.

You can argue that there are many bullets that work for light-duty purposes-and they will. The Partition, however, has been basically unchanged for many years, because it flat WORKS!

My 7 mags shoot the 160s into 1/2 minute.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Long live the Partition.

μολὼν λαβέ
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Partitions are often the most accurate bullet in my hunting rifles,

I've seen it written that NPT's are made to optimal accuracy standards comparable with any Nosler bullet. And, it seems to me, the soft, flat base should expand to fill/obturate a bore easier than a BT or solid base design. So, one would think a NPT may compensate for slightly oversized bores or irregularities that other bullets may not accommodate as well. That could explain why it appears to be the most accurate bullet in certain guns.

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy. For my hunting rifles I generally find a load that shoots well and leave it be. Most of my hunting loads in various calibers are loaded with Partitions. And in more than a few of my rifles they shoot the most accurrate. I never worry if the bullet will do its job as long as I do mine.

Last edited by LJB3; 07/17/14.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have not spent gobs of time trying to get accuracy with PT's but each time I do try I get mediocre to lousy results.

If I could ever get them to go in my 280 & 300 WSM, there would be no other bullet used.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 2500HD, 66 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,413
Posts18,470,470
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.