Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Dang! Just had four shoats and a nice size sow just spook from a feeder. Dang!!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ingwe must've farted in your general direction. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I would have, had he been carrying a .270�...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
I would have, had he been carrying a .270�...

Nope, was carrying the Featherweight. Another little boar for the pot. Details on this thread to come.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Went out with grandson this morning and discovered I'm knee deep in pigs,,, again!!!

Logan with pigs!

[Linked Image]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't really want to wish the blight of having pigs on to the landowners and farmers of Indiana. The state has passed rules/laws that appear to be helping prevent their spread and increase. That said, I think I could enjoy having such a tasty critter (I shot pigs in AL and TX last year) to chase/hunt year round. You guys are having too much for doing such good 'work'. laugh

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dude I cooked up some loins on the grille the other night. OUTSTANDING! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Dude I cooked up some loins on the grille the other night. OUTSTANDING! laugh

Ain't bad, huh?

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Last Sunday my BIL and I went to the lease for an evening hunt. He sat on a stand that was being visited by a pretty large pig, and I decided to alternate between two stands about 400 or so yards apart. The feeders are still firing at 6:00 and it was about 6:20 when we got to them. I slipped towards the western-most feeder first to see if anything was moving and when I got there four shoats, all about 30 pounds, had already eaten the corn and were trotting away. I squatted down to see what was going to happen and heard some movement off to my right. The path leading towards the feeder is pretty narrow at that point, and a nice size sow - about 125 pounds - crossed in front of me no more than about 10 feet away. Before I could get off a shot she grunted and disappeared into the palmetto. I could hear her blowing at me from the palmetto, but there was no way to see her since the palmetto there are tall and dense. The shoats, of course, had disappeared at her grunt, so I walked up to the feeder and spun the plate a couple of times. Perhaps a little more corn would bring them back.

I headed to the other feeder, but before I could get to the stand I spooked three or four hen turkey. They had been under the feeder, probably since it had fired, and had cleaned up most of the corn. There was still a little on the ground, so I climbed into the stand hoping that a pig or two might come in to clean it up. I hate turkey!

I sat in the stand until about 8:10 and since nothing was moving, I decided to head back to the other feeder to see if anything had eaten the extra corn I'd dropped. Sure enough, all the corn was gone; however I caught some movement just to the right. It was one of the shoats, facing towards me. It probably hadn't left even after they'd finished the extra corn since the birds and squirrels will often knock corn off the plate on the bottom of the feeder.

As I eased the rifle to my shoulder, two more of the original group joined the first. They were all under the shadow of the palmetto, and since I was losing light pretty quickly, I picked the lightest colored one, put the crosshairs on his face and pulled the trigger. His two companions were gone in a flash as he lay kicking for a few seconds. As you can see from the picture, it isn't likely he ever even heard the shot.

[Linked Image]

The pig was only about 25 yards away when I shot. The bullet entered the right side of his face (his right side) and exited his side. Because his body was turned a bit as I shot, you can see another wound just behind the second one. I assume that it was caused by a fragment. There is also another wound on the skin inside his right hind leg.

[Linked Image]

You can see all four wounds in this picture.

[Linked Image]

He wasn't very big, but he was young and he'll cook up fine.

Here are the stats if you're interested:

Rifle: M70 Fwt 7x57
Ammo: Prvi 139gr PSP
Time: 8:23 p.m.
Temp: 83, slight breeze, high humidity
Game: Boar

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Went out with grandson this morning and discovered I'm knee deep in pigs,,, again!!!

Logan with pigs!

[Linked Image]

They're some eaters in that trap!

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't kill them all before February Rev! shocked

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't kill them all before February Rev! shocked

Not a chance, Ingwe. There are way too many of them. Besides, I'll probably slow down a bit for the rest of this month and August as it's hot! eek That ought to give them enough time to replenish.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Seriously? Mosquitoes in February? eek

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Are you going to be hunting near water/marsh?

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

It just depends on how wet and warm it is. If we have some cold weather they shouldn't be too bad. If you're hunting a stand and it's windy no problem. If it's still and you're in the shade you might get a nibble or two, especially if it's been warm and wet. Personally I handle warm, wet, and bugs a lot better than the cold y'all are used to.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
God, it hit 80 while I was at the range today and I thought I was gonna die�.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Uh oh....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Im gonna get one of those wet it/snap it cooler cloth thingies for my punkin head�.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Im gonna get one of those wet it/snap it cooler cloth thingies for my punkin head�.

I don't know what that is, but February should be really nice. If you're ever here in the summer or fall, just pretend you're in India. It's about the same.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have been there in summer and in February. Summer was a preview of hell for me�February wasn't all that bad�

Though the natives around me suffered greatly from the 'cold'... grin

Last edited by ingwe; 07/22/14.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 32 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,745
Posts18,495,180
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.