Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I can't tell the difference between any of them.

Travis

I'm in your camp, though I think I lucked out with this one...

[Linked Image]

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Very nice shooting!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My XDS will keep up with most of my 1911s and better than any of the Glocks. Hard to believe how easy it is to shoot that gun well.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
So it's a bit over the top to suggest the anecdotal evidence is meaningless.

It's over the top to pretend that off hand groups at shorter distances have any real value if you REALLY want to talk about accuracy. If all you care about is seat of the pants feel, then it is quite sufficient. If you want to REALLY talk about REAL numbers, bench or Ransom rest shooting at a pre-determined, standardized distance is the only way to procure them. Anything else is just speculation based on "feel". One can certainly "feel" that their Glock is more accurate than their USP, all the while the HK retains a 20% raw accuracy potential advantage. I don't care about feelings and feelings have no bearing on accuracy. A good bench rest technique or the Ransom Rest remove all feelings, speculation, excuses, fanboyism and bullshit.

What is really at work here is that nobody tests these guns from a bench or Ransom Rest. Few do much more than shoot them at short distances at the local indoor range so nobody really knows or cares about how accurate they really are.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What a joke.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by CraigC
So it's a bit over the top to suggest the anecdotal evidence is meaningless.

It's over the top to pretend that off hand groups at shorter distances have any real value if you REALLY want to talk about accuracy. If all you care about is seat of the pants feel, then it is quite sufficient. If you want to REALLY talk about REAL numbers, bench or Ransom rest shooting at a pre-determined, standardized distance is the only way to procure them. Anything else is just speculation based on "feel". One can certainly "feel" that their Glock is more accurate than their USP, all the while the HK retains a 20% raw accuracy potential advantage. I don't care about feelings and feelings have no bearing on accuracy. A good bench rest technique or the Ransom Rest remove all feelings, speculation, excuses, fanboyism and bullshit.

What is really at work here is that nobody tests these guns from a bench or Ransom Rest. Few do much more than shoot them at short distances at the local indoor range so nobody really knows or cares about how accurate they really are.

Tell us more.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'm certain I'll have time to set up bags or a rest where the rubber and pavent meet.....

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You spent a lot of time agreeing with everything I wrote...or you didn't read it.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You punks better watch it. He wears a pirate belt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
You punks better watch it. He wears a pirate belt.
I thought he wore Batman's utility belt, with a Buscadero holster and a Katana.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buscadero and katana in one post. Well played sir.

In fairness to CC, only the buckle was pirate-ish, not the belt.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a friend I refer to as the "Human Ransom Rest." Not everyone can do it, but he can shoot shoot groups with a handgun at 25 yards off hand that would normally take a ransom rest to beat. But off hand groups are useless when determining the accuracy of a handgun or a given load.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A Glock has never won the Bianchi Cup's production division. S&W M&P's and probably tuned XD's will rule that game for the forseeable future. Having said that, Randi Rogers used a G34 to place third overall in Production so somebody has figured out how to tweak one enough to make it work. A Glock has the softest recoil impulse of any of the polymer guns and that is surely an aid shooting against the clock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If a guy and a gun can produce sub 2" groups off hand at 15 yards, it's likely that either or both is capable of even better bench rest groups. So it's a bit over the top to suggest the anecdotal evidence is meaningless. I agree, that a sampling of the top brands of guns and ammo coupled with a ransom rest would be more meaningful. Still, starting in the 80s or thereabout, the vast majority of gun writers quit shooting "defensive" guns at 25 yards, either because they themselves, or the guns weren't up to the challenge. It's about the time when the "defensive accuracy" terminology started getting bandied about. My personal requirement has nothing to do with bench rested groups. If my defensive pistol can't keep every shot in the head of a target at 25 yards, off hand, "IT" isn't up to the challenge.

That's a good post & I can't find much there to disagree with.

MM

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
"If my defensive pistol can't keep every shot in the head of a target at 25 yards, off hand, "IT" isn't up to the challenge"

Nuff said!

Kahr 45 ACP is unreal.

XDM's in 9 and 40 beat all my Glocks hands down in accuracy, even the 34 and 35.

For a tiny pistol, the Kahr CM9 is hard to beat in accuracy in the pistols that I have owned, and sure stomps all customized model 60's that I have owned.

Last edited by keith; 07/27/14.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by CraigC
If you want to REALLY talk about REAL numbers, bench or Ransom rest shooting at a pre-determined, standardized distance is the only way to procure them. Anything else is just speculation based on "feel". .... I don't care about feelings and feelings have no bearing on accuracy. A good bench rest technique or the Ransom Rest remove all feelings,

The "real numbers" sometimes do not tell all the story. Some handguns are just easier to shoot accurately for a variety of reasons. The trigger pull can make a big difference. The sights can have a major effect on whether a person can hit a target. The angle and shape of the grip also contribute to accurate shooting. The Ramson rest eliminates most of these important variables that affect how accurate a person can be with a particular handgun. Ramson results can tell you how accurately a pistol can be shot from a Ransom rest but do not tell you how well a pistol can be shot by a person.

When I look for an accurate handgun,

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Notro

Great observations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Notropis

Ramson results can tell you how accurately a pistol can be shot from a Ransom rest but do not tell you how well a pistol can be shot by a person.

But on the other hand, a gun in the hand of a human won't shoot better than it does from a Ransom either; feel is essential for confidence as well good shooting, but it can't make a poor shooting gun, i.e., a gun that shoots poorly from a Ransom, shoot any better.

MM

MM

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Notropis

Ramson results can tell you how accurately a pistol can be shot from a Ransom rest but do not tell you how well a pistol can be shot by a person.

But on the other hand, a gun in the hand of a human won't shoot better than it does from a Ransom either; feel is essential for confidence as well good shooting, but it can't make a poor shooting gun, i.e., a gun that shoots poorly from a Ransom, shoot any better.

MM

MM

That is very true. My main point is that an accurate handgun on a Ramson may not be very accurate in the hands of a shooter because of factors that the Ransom eliminates. If you want an accurate shooter, you need to find a pistol that is accurate on the Ransom and accurate in your hands.

Good shooting will not make up for a bad handgun any more than bad shooting will be cured by a good handgun.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not completely uncommon for a human to outshoot a Ransom rest with a semi-auto. A Ransom locks the frame - not the barrel and sights. If the point of aim isn't adjusted after each shot by the operator the group will reflect any movement between the frame and the components of the slide assembly. A human shooter realigns the sights after each shot.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.