Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
One can never the THIRD LAW OF PHYSICS.
And that is
"AFTER YOU SQUEEZE YOUR CHEEKS TOGETHER BE SURE YOU ARE CLOSE TO THE CRAPPER".
Alfred E Newman

Living in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian"
Semper Fi The Old Corps Era of the M-1 Garand�
GB1

Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The earth is not an isolated system. The sun continues to shine upon us every day.

The second law was discovered and verified in this "open system". The entire universe is subject to the Second Law. There is the concept call the ultimate heat death.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
The earth is not an isolated system. The sun continues to shine upon us every day.

The second law was discovered and verified in this "open system". The entire universe is subject to the Second Law. There is the concept call the ultimate heat death.

n thermodynamics, entropy (usual symbol S) is a measure of the number of specific ways in which a thermodynamic system may be arranged. According to the second law of thermodynamics the entropy of an isolated system never decreases; such systems spontaneously evolve towards thermodynamic equilibrium, the configuration with maximum entropy.

Notice, that nothing in the above implies you cannot have pockets of increasing order, as the entire system moves toward a state a maximum disorder......that state you referred to as ultimate heat death.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What would a caveman or neanderthal think of a piece of modern technology? Magic

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Astrobiologists are convinced they'll find life out there somewhere. However...
The least complicated single cell organism is so vastly complicated that the chances of all the molecules for it's existence being in the same place at the same time is one in billions, and that's not counting bringing it to life. The odds of it happening twice on 2 different planets is one in billions squared - a number so incredibly small that it's virtually impossible to happen. Getting them both to live is ludicrous.

Not really.

What are you made of?

We are mostly oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen.

And what are the most common non-inert elements in the universe?

hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, carbon.

I said molecules, not elements. What are the odds of a single gene floating around out there? How about the odds of thousands of genes coming together in a useful sequence. How about the thousands of other structures in a cell like mitochondria, etc? Every time you add something that's essential to life, the odds of it happening drop dramatically.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Let's start with this. In order to discuss your new law, please define "life".

It seems as if nobody wants to tackle this very fundamental question. It is somewhat difficult to talk about something when you don't know what it is.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Notropis

It seems as if nobody wants to tackle this very fundamental question. It is somewhat difficult to talk about something when you don't know what it is.

Kinda like art, yet people talk about art all the time.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Every year scores, maybe hundreds, of biochemist and there students try to generate life in a test tube and fail.

In order to evaluate your hypothesis, someone needs to check into this supposition. Maybe you can provide a source. Who are these people, and what are their methodologies?

Seriously though, it's always fascinating when people try to prove the existence of God using man's understanding of the universe.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Seriously though, it's always fascinating when people try to prove the existence of God using man's understanding of the universe.

What's even worse is when people try reject the existence of an Infinite God using man's finite understanding of the universe and prefer nothing as the creator.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, it's not worse Ringman, it's the same thing.

I'm not sure who your post is directed at though. I don't doubt the existence of God, and never said I did.

One thing I'm certain of though. The best and brightest physicists in the world cannot "prove" His existence, one way or the other.

Much less the arm-chair variety of physicist.

To think otherwise is the ultimate example of hubris.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Originally Posted by Notropis

Kinda like art, yet people talk about art all the time.

Steve.

Apple and oranges. Not the same at all. If we are to discuss what started life, we must know exactly what life is. Art is an abstraction based in our imagination and has no precise definition that we can use to determine exactly what is and what is not art.

We can discuss how beautiful or ugly something living is or some piece of art is without knowing exactly the definitions of life or art, but to discuss when and how life starts you need to know what life is so you will know when you reach that boundary between life and nonlife.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll grant you that life and art are not the same. That's easy. But you grant me this -- I'm only saying that in both cases we talk about what we can't define. I was merely commenting on your statement, "It is somewhat difficult to talk about something when you don't know what it is." True of life. True of art.

I just recently had a lengthy discussion with my nephew who has the highest art degree he can get from the most prestigious art school in the nation, and he admits art can't be defined. If we can't adequately define what we can create, can we expect to fully define what we can't create?

In light of that, it's strange that the boundary you talk about -- between life and non-life -- is actually pretty clear. We know life when we see life.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know. Recently, I've been hearing that space and time are indeed finite.

Given geologic time though, I think nature as had opportunity to experiment with near unlimited permutations and combinations of materials. When compared with a few thousand researchers working since the 50's, man has only been at work for a second or two.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/24/14.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute

I do believe time is finite.

Wondering: If we actually knew time is finite, how many questions would that answer?

Steve.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Given geologic time though, I think nature as had opportunity to experiment with near unlimited permutations and combinations of materials. When compared with a few thousand researchers working since the 50's, man has only been at work for a second or two.

You are granting time intelegence. blush Time is a measure of passing. It has no intelegence and can not combine anything.

Then you have to rely on chance. You want us to think stupid, dumb, blind, dead chance can produce what etremely intelegent, educated humans can't? If you had a trillion years squared amount of time chance could not come up with even one living cell. Check with someoone who has done extensive experiments in probablities and you will get quite a shock.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How old is the earth in this measure of passing you call time?

Carpe' Scrotum
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
What else could the reasonalbe person conclude from these decades of failures?
Not much, because it took nature over 250 million years to bring forth the first simple, single cellular, creatures that could be classified as living.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
They're still wrestling with how second law of thermodynamics and the theory of evolution can both be true at the same time.
Untrue. Creationists misunderstand the Second Law if they believe that it's incompatible with evolution. Your understanding of it fails to take into account an exterior source of energy, i.e., the sun, which is a manifestation of the residual energy left from the Big Bang. While, as a whole, energy is decaying in the universe, the earth has been receiving a steady input of energy from the start, i.e., the earth is not an isolated system.
The answer is in what they're named -- a law and a theory. It may be a convincing theory, but it is still a theory and will remain a theory simply because it cannot be observed or tested.
The only difference in science between a law and a theory is that a law explains what will happen given X, while a theory explains the mechanism behind what happens in the presence of X. One isn't of superior rank to the other.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

What's even worse is when people try reject the existence of an Infinite God using man's finite understanding of the universe and prefer nothing as the creator.

It's not about preference, it's about evidence.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

antelope_sniper

It's not about preference, it's about evidence.

You and I looked at the evidence and came to opposite conclusions. It's not about evidence. It about world view. One's world view is not tested by science or life's experiences. It is what we use to interpret evidence and experiences.

Everyday Hunter
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,122
Posts18,522,927
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.