Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
My 23 year old daughter likes to hunt deer and hogs. She never still hunts but is always in a stand. She has a Weatherby SA-08 Youth and the recoil doesn't bother her but then again she's always standing when firing.

She has a Vanguard S2 Youth .243 for deer and hogs. I've put a comb riser on it and the cheek weld is just right. She doesn't like to shoot it though because of the recoil even though the recoil is considerably less than her 20 gauge. The reason of course is because she is always sitting down when firing her rifle because when she is shooting it is either to sight it in or in a stand where to fire she has to be kneeling or in a chair because the roof isn't tall enough for her to stand. She has developed a flinch.

I've fired a Browning Bar in 30-06 and the felt recoil was much less than firing my bolt 30-06, weight of the rifle being roughly the same. The Bar I shot didn't have BOSS either.

So I was thinking of purchasing her a wood stocked BAR in .243, having the stock cut down and having a trigger job done to give her a nice light pull.

This would be done when funds permit which is not feasible now but will be by the 2015 season. What do you think of this possible solution? Does it make sense? I know the rifle will be heavy but that won't be an issue because all she would have to do is carry it from the truck to the stand and back.

Last edited by cdb; 07/25/14.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If it makes sense to you. I'd get a 223 and call it a day.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ruger American in 223 would serve her nicely and is the best deal around right now. Just make sure you use the right bullet. If you don't reload, I think Winchester has some hog specific loads. If you do, then there are plenty of good bullets.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If it makes sense to you. I'd get a 223 and call it a day.

Yup 223

Molan Labe
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
You can get one the Ruger Americans in a .223 with a decent scope for half of what you'd pay for a new Browning BAR. If you want to get her a semi-auto get her an AR-15 and set it up for hunting.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've owned several BAR's over the past 40 years....they all have been more than accurate for hunting...

My wife has a BAR 7mm RM with a factory 20" barrel...I needed to cut 2" off the stock to fit her.... she has used it for the past 8 years to harvest a truck load of whitetails and several bears...

I picked up a 6.8SPC upper for her thinking less recoil for her...she didn't even want to try it out wanting to use her BAR...she is a one gun person....and deadly with it...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before attacking the rifle, I'd focus on the load. If you would cook up something with H4895 and knock 5% off the max, you might find it functioned nearly the same as a full-house load with greatly reduced recoil. That was what I did with my sons and my girlfriend.

Also add some weight to the stock. I used 50 cal lead bullets in the stock of my wife's 30-06 and really reduced the felt recoil.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Personally, if you like the idea of an autoloader I think you're on the right track. The BAR Shortrac is a sweet looking rifle and in .243 it's less than 7 lbs.
[Linked Image]
I have an old 30-06 from 1968 in the safe that is lacking in recoil. The .243 should be nothing. I was considering this same option for someone and may yet follow thru on it. Here's one for sale on GB:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=431272583

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I do reload and use low power loads for her. I prefer for her not to use a .223 for deer, it is okay for hogs because if we don't recover one it is no big deal. I've shot a couple of deer with my AR using 65 grain Sierra GameKings and neither traveled very far. She is pretty accurate with a shotgun and very accurate with her 9mm but with her .243 not so much. Before I go the BAR route I'm going to try having her shoot her 20 gauge several times at a stationary target and then have her shoot her .243 at the same target standing up using my sticks. Then ease her back into shooting sitting down.

She has shot her 20 gauge sitting down while patterning chokes and while she commented that the recoil was harsher it didn't bother her. I think it is just a mental thing with her or the rifle fit may be causing felt recoil to be very harsh.

I've tried to find someone local with a Lady Savage for her to try but to no avail. I have nothing against using a .223 for deer and hogs. My FFL is a former marine and he uses a .223 for big game but he is an outstanding marksman and uses head shots exclusively. If she was that good I wouldn't have a problem with her using a .223. She is also at an age where getting her to practice is almost impossible.

If I were to get her a .223 it would be a Vanguard over a Ruger. I feel that Weatherby stocks are much better at attenuating recoil.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Bigger is always better if you can't shoot.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What shaman said. Nosler shows the best accuracy with the starting load of 4895 with the 95 grain Partition or Ballistic tip at just under 2600. That should be a very mild recoiling load.

Money seems to be an issue for now, and the loading bench seems to be the inexpensive way out. Just a ? Does she wear ear protection in the stand? It might be noise rather than recoil. Hunter's ear! Also, what kind of recoil pad. Limb Saver or Decelerator can make a difference. I have installed triple magnum pads on shotguns for ladies.

The BAR should be a solution. So could a mercury recoil reducer. You are trying to do the right thing. Recoil can ruin the desire to hunt. Not all of us handle it the same way. My brother hated to shoot his Model 70 in .270 and gave it away. I just never thought the recoil was bad at all with it.

Best wishes,
Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
True, but he's looking for someone to tell him what he wants to hear.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by cdb
I do reload and use low power loads for her. I prefer for her not to use a .223 for deer, it is okay for hogs because if we don't recover one it is no big deal. I've shot a couple of deer with my AR using 65 grain Sierra GameKings and neither traveled very far. She is pretty accurate with a shotgun and very accurate with her 9mm but with her .243 not so much. Before I go the BAR route I'm going to try having her shoot her 20 gauge several times at a stationary target and then have her shoot her .243 at the same target standing up using my sticks. Then ease her back into shooting sitting down.

She has shot her 20 gauge sitting down while patterning chokes and while she commented that the recoil was harsher it didn't bother her. I think it is just a mental thing with her or the rifle fit may be causing felt recoil to be very harsh.

I've tried to find someone local with a Lady Savage for her to try but to no avail. I have nothing against using a .223 for deer and hogs. My FFL is a former marine and he uses a .223 for big game but he is an outstanding marksman and uses head shots exclusively. If she was that good I wouldn't have a problem with her using a .223. She is also at an age where getting her to practice is almost impossible.

If I were to get her a .223 it would be a Vanguard over a Ruger. I feel that Weatherby stocks are much better at attenuating recoil.

It would be hard to go wrong with a Howa or Vanguard in .223.

I'd buy an AR for her long before I bought a BAR.

It's obvious she has a sensitivity to recoil based on what you have written. .223 is the answer to your question.

Don't make us post pictures to prove it.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

Bullshit, I'm looking for the best solution. But if you are alluding to the fact I don't want her using a .223 that's not wanting someone to tell me what I want to hear. Unless a person is an outstanding shot I feel that a .223 is marginal for deer. There are tons of people who believe a .243 is marginal for deer but I'm not one of them.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

Bullshit, I'm looking for the best solution. But if you are alluding to the fact I don't want her using a .223 that's not wanting someone to tell me what I want to hear. Unless a person is an outstanding shot I feel that a .223 is marginal for deer. There are tons of people who believe a .243 is marginal for deer but I'm not one of them.

I would contend that there is a flaw in your logical regarding what cartridge/caliber combination is "marginal" on deer the size of a Texas whitetail.

It's very obvious your daughter has an issue with recoil. I do not believe the BAR is going to reduce recoil enough to make a difference for the shooter (your daughter).

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Define outstanding shot.

Is that a person that can keep the shot out of the guts? If so, bigger ain't gonna help much.

T
Tom Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
What about a Limbsaver butt pad, they cut a lot of recoil?

C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jt402
What shaman said. Nosler shows the best accuracy with the starting load of 4895 with the 95 grain Partition or Ballistic tip at just under 2600. That should be a very mild recoiling load.

Money seems to be an issue for now, and the loading bench seems to be the inexpensive way out. Just a ? Does she wear ear protection in the stand? It might be noise rather than recoil. Hunter's ear! Also, what kind of recoil pad. Limb Saver or Decelerator can make a difference. I have installed triple magnum pads on shotguns for ladies.

The BAR should be a solution. So could a mercury recoil reducer. You are trying to do the right thing. Recoil can ruin the desire to hunt. Not all of us handle it the same way. My brother hated to shoot his Model 70 in .270 and gave it away. I just never thought the recoil was bad at all with it.

Best wishes,
Jack

She uses ear plugs. I use electronic muffs because you can hear even better with them but she prefers plugs.

The Vanguard S2 has an excellent recoil pad. I have an S2 in 30-06 and it is as good as the Pachmayrs I put on my Remington 700 ADL .270 and CZ 550 American 6.5x55. She keeps my Stag Model One at her house for HD but it only has an Aimpoint with no magnification and as I have stated she will not be using a .223 for big game. She is 5'7" and pretty strong. Before she got her semi she used a Mossberg Bantam for a number of years so I know there is a solution for here to be able to handle a .243.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Why don't you have a brake installed on her .243?

Travis

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Find some Trail Boss and do reduced loads with it for practice, even if you can't get much practice time in. 100gr or less bullet at 1500 could be handled by about anyone. You take care of the sight-in of whatever 2600fps or so reduced loads you want her to hunt with and there's no need for her to use those until hunting. On shots at game she'll never notice the difference.

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.