Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-calif-man-80-fatally-shot-pregnant-home-intruder/

Cops: Calif. man, 80, fatally shot pregnant home intruder

LONG BEACH, Calif. - Police said a California man fatally shot a woman who he claimed was ransacking his home, reports CBS Los Angeles.

Authorities are investigating whether 80-year-old Tom Greer, of Long Beach, Calif., shot the unidentified woman in self-defense, according to the station.

On Tuesday night, officers responded to a call of shots fired at the home. Greer told police he walked in on a man and a woman going through his things. He said the couple tackled him but that he was able to get his gun and turn it on the woman, CBS Los Angeles reports.

"She says, 'Don't shoot me, I'm pregnant! I'm going to have a baby!'" Greer told KNBC Wednesday. "And I shot her anyway." He said the couple had been to his home twice before and that he shot the woman twice in the back while the male accomplice ran away.

Investigators would not say whether the shooting occurred inside the home or in the alley behind the house. According to the station, Greer is not under arrest and police are still determining whether or not the homeowner will face charges.

"We're looking into the possibility of someone else being involved, but we don't know just yet," Deputy Chief David Hendricks told the Long Beach Post. "We're just sorting out what happened."

Neighbor George Romero told CBS Los Angeles Greer is a nice man who has been burglarized several times in the past. "I remember the first break-in. They literally tore down the front door," he said. "And that's where I came in and met him. I said, 'Hey, what's going on? You okay?' And ever since then, we've been acquaintances."

Video

Click the link for news video, and interview with 80 year old shooter.....

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.1931419

Last edited by Miss Lynn; 07/25/14. Reason: adding print

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Play stupid games....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first reaction is this: No way would I shoot someone who is leaving and who had not harmed me. Even if they were carrying some of my material possession. Nothing I own is worth the life of ANY human being including the worst drug addict or serial robber. They all still have an opportunity to accept Christ as thier savior, be forgiven and be healed and restored in every way.

HOWEVER, the man said he had been jumped and there was a fight. When the Adrenaline and other self defense mechanism's we are born with kick in, there is NO TELLING what I, or anyone else, might do in such a moment. Thusly, while I would hope that I would do better and not shoot, I am not going to pass judgement on this man at this time with the info that I have.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Whether I personally agree with it, or not, from what he said in the video, it appears that the shooting was unjustifiable legally. I think his age may be the only thing that might keep him from getting charged with something.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Lets see...

Things not to do when you are pregnant.

Amusement park rides

Smoking

Drinking

Boxing

Martial arts

Free climbing devils tower

Robbery

Something clever here.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Methinks people shouldn't be breaking into other people's houses and jumping them and stealing sheit.

Pretty simple really.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
She says, 'Don't shoot me, I'm pregnant! I'm going to have a baby!'" Greer told KNBC Wednesday. "And I shot her anyway." He said the couple had been to his home twice before and that he shot the woman twice in the back while the male accomplice ran away.

guy is in trouble. should have kept his trap shut. shooting her in the back as she is leaving is wrong.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
How is shooting ANYONE that breaks into your house and attacks you unjustifiable? I don't care which way they were facing when the bullet struck.

Hell, he's old and reflexes are slow. She was likely facing him when he decided to shoot, not that it matters.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If he is in trouble it's because he is too stupid to keep his mouth shut. At his age he probably thought the cops were on his side. If he said anything it should have been "I thought they were getting a weapon."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

"She says, 'Don't shoot me, I'm pregnant! I'm going to have a baby!'" "And I shot her anyway."

Definitely bumper sticker material.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
There's a valid argument to be made that a burglar present inside your home constitutes, per se, an imminent threat to life and limb, thus justifying lethal force. Some states even incorporate that into law, but I don't think California does.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He shot her in the alley outside the house as they were running away.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
"She says, 'Don't shoot me, I'm pregnant! I'm going to have a baby!'" Greer told KNBC Wednesday. "And I shot her anyway."

First "S": pass

Second "S: does not apply

Third "S": fail

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Not good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Whether I personally agree with it, or not, from what he said in the video, it appears that the shooting was unjustifiable legally. I think his age may be the only thing that might keep him from getting charged with something.

Most likely. He looks about ready for a nursing home, maybe this way we will get to pay for his nursing care.

I wonder how good of nursing care life with no parole prisoners get when they become old enough to need such? Anyone here know?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Calhoun
He should have kept his mouth shut other than to assert he was attacked in his home by intruders and fired to neutralize the threat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In CA, once the threat is removed - such as the criminal fleeing - you are not allowed to use deadly force. Shooting in the back is not justified. (Per my CCW training and review of CA laws/cases. Not an attorney, but it pays to be aware of the laws if you are going to or contemplate using a weapon.) Like others have said - keep your mouth shut and wait to talk to your lawyer.

A criminal in your house does constitute a justifiable shooting, but not when they are fleeing or when they have left your home.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What does worry me for the old guy is he shot her in the back, she was pregnant, and his somewhat callous comment, "I shot her anyway." That last botherss me quite a bit and as it's in the public domain via that TV interview? That ain't gonna help his case one bit. But that's the law. My take you're in my house taking my stuff, you're also taking your chances. Not quite 80 yet, only 4 years to go. Frankly,I wouldn't want to be in his boots. I'm thinking he's in deep kim-chi.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Methinks people shouldn't be breaking into other people's houses and jumping them and stealing sheit.

Pretty simple really.

As much as I agree with this, I'm not sure he'd NOT be charged with something even in states like Florida & Texas. They were in flight mode & outside his residence...I seen mentioned somewhere that he'd had them in his house twice before, so he knew who they were & if he hadn't gotten to his gun, they would have likely killed him...too bad for the old guy & too bad he didn't get both of them.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

279 members (160user, 2500HD, 21, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 29 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,493,023
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.