-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
have a Howa 1500 ultralight in 7-08 with the pencil thin barrel . A complete bastard to shoot off the bench.

I have heard that these ultralights need a completely different approach off the bench - has any one on the 'Fire had any experiences with the Ultralight and any tips for shooting off the bench.

My 7-08 is purely a stalking outfit and i just wish to get the thing shooting off the bench before going into the field.

I was shooting factory 140 & 150's but will be getting a pal to load up some 120 gr Sierra's and TSX's

Cheers
Gus

HR IC

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
An Ultralight Howa is a standard weight Remington, just saying.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one on the Lightweight carbines in .308, lightweight being a relative term as it weighs 8.48 lbs field ready, and thus far I haven't seen any problems.

It hovers around 1 MOA -1.25 MOA with most loads. I use the same technique shooting it as I do with all other rifles.

I did have to float the barrel and get the trigger pull down to just a hair over 3 lbs (It was near 5lbs out of the box).

The thin barrel heats up quickly so I pay a bit of extra attention to that.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 07/27/14.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DaSakoMan
have a Howa 1500 ultralight in 7-08 with the pencil thin barrel . A complete bastard to shoot off the bench.

I have heard that these ultralights need a completely different approach off the bench - has any one on the 'Fire had any experiences with the Ultralight and any tips for shooting off the bench.

My 7-08 is purely a stalking outfit and i just wish to get the thing shooting off the bench before going into the field.

I was shooting factory 140 & 150's but will be getting a pal to load up some 120 gr Sierra's and TSX's

Cheers
Gus

There is really nothing ultralight about a Howa Ultralight.

Floating, bedding, and a Timney typically work wonders.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Our howa ultralight in 7-08 shoots bugholes with just about anything. Its about 7 1/2 pounds all up with a 12 oz scope if I recall.

Pretty nice rifle for the money...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
7.5 lbs all up is about as light as the Howa's go. My Winchester 70 in 300 WSM with 24" barrel is under 7.5 lbs all up. The Kimber is under 6. If you're having trouble with it shooting well it isn't because of it being too light. They are generally quite accurate though. The problem is something else.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies thus far fellas .

I would say that the bedding isn't a issue as the barrelled action sits in a McSwirley and the barrel is free floated.

The crappy two stage trigger could be a candidate for replacement ...... I will see how the handloaded Sierra 120's / TSX 120 's pan out and go from there..

Its a stalking rifle as such and the first shot which counts - but its nice to be able to put three shots into under 1.5 inches at 100 yards. Without the scope it comes in at 2.99 kgs - so with the Burris Fullfield II on top you are looking at around 3.5 kgs max.

Gus

Last edited by DaSakoMan; 07/28/14.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by DaSakoMan
Thanks for the replies thus far fellas .

I would say that the bedding isn't a issue as the barrelled action sits in a McSwirley and the barrel is free floated.

The crappy two stage trigger could be a candidate for replacement ...... I will see how the hand-loaded Sierra 120's / TSX 120 's pan out and go from there..

Its a stalking rifle as such and the first shot which counts - but its nice to be able to put three shots into under 1.5 inches at 100 yards. Without the scope it comes in at 2.99 kgs - so with the Burris Fullfield II on top you are looking at around 3.5 kgs max.

Gus

You haven't said what "the real bastard" is. Groups, recoil, repeatability for first shot-cold barrel, or what?

Given the dirth of info, non-the-less here is what I recommend at this stage. Glass-bed the recoil lug for perfect fit, and the action area, making sure the action sits absolutely flat in the stock. If either front or rear screw has more than a half turn between coming snug and tight, it's not flat, and is torquing the receiver. A quarter turn or less is better.

Adjust that trigger if possible to 2.5 to 3 lbs, crisp, no creep. Or replace it with one that will. Personally I'd lose the two stage for jump-shooting/"still -hunting"/ "snap shooting". I'm not sure what you mean by "stalking rifle", but if it's a situation where one is stalking an animal, then taking a rest, the 2 stage would work fine for me, adjusted to no more than 3 .5 lbs second stage.

On the bench, double your hearing protection and shoulder padding. Much of perceived recoil (leading to flinching) is noise and muzzle-jump.. more noticeable on the bench than when firing at game. Leads to habitual flinching in either bench or hunt situation. You may have a case - can check it by having a friend hand you the rifle without you knowing if it is hot or not, and having him observe you firing the unknown. Can happen to anyone.

Mag-Na-Porting or a muzzle-break will reduce muzzle-jump, more so in heavier calibers than in light. Also increases noise-levels, however. Hence the doubled ear protection on the bench. I use it on the bench no matter what I'm shooting. Makes a noticable difference in my comfort levels, and groups.

If the issue is rifle caused group size, experiment with different factory loads first., then try hand-loads if possible. Neck-sized only, or neck-sized with very slightly bumped back shoulders usually show a significant reduction in group size in my experience. I once had a factory standard rifle that shot 5 inch groups with factory ammo, and sub-MOA with neck-sized only hand -loads.
Obviously the chamber was at least partly to blame, cuz the handloads were straight out of Speer#8, and nothing special.

Also, this .25-06 ALWAYS threw the first round from a clean, cold barrel 4 inches high and left. I never hunted with a clean barrel... I'm adaptable, and I sure wish I still owned that rifle... smile

I am using for open-tundra caribou a Rem 725 rebarreled to .260 with a 700TI light barrel, glass bedded, free-floated, factory trigger adjusted to about 3 lbs. Also a Mauser 98 with heavy 27 inch bbl in '06, 2.5 lb Timney trigger pull weight. Both will shoot +/- 2 inch groups, factory ammo at 300 yards, but it's way harder with the lightweight.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
las,
thanks for the detail post - much appreciated. I intend to hand load some 120 gr Sierra and TSX's and see how they go - before looking at bedding or the trigger.

I have also read that ultralight rifles need to be virtually clamped down on the batch - and not allowed to free recoil.

With all this in mind - I will report back once my next range session has concluded.
Cheers
Gus

Last edited by DaSakoMan; 07/31/14.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,572
Posts18,491,887
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.