Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Put on a ranier barrel, 18" with midlength gas system, on DPMS LR308, and a brake.

Brass is ejecting back at me hard and bouncing off the brass deflecteor, which has chipped the paint at the sharp edge of the brass deflector and also put a consistent small horizontal crease in the fired brass.

Too much gas I assume???

I got an adjustable gas block installed for that but the sweet spot must almost non-existent. Choke it down and it does not fully eject.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Pig tail gas tube?
Get a super heavy buffer weight? Who what where for that?

How small is the sweet spot on this set screw adjustable gas blocks? I swear it must be less than 1/8th of a turn I am seeing the jamming and then the slamming. Arg.

Arg is pirate talk for "I am frustrated."

Arg arg.

Anybody else been through this?

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Yes, I'd start with a heavier buffer weight, and perhaps a different buffer spring.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put a fuzzy side of velcro on the brass deflector to save my brass.

To set your gas block, set it so that it just barely doesn't lock the bolt back on an empty mag. Then open it back up 1/2 a turn. That should be the sweet spot.

For buffer and spring, I am using the JP SCS and absolutely love it.

Last edited by CBMJR; 07/28/14.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Yes, I'd start with a heavier buffer weight, and perhaps a different buffer spring.

This, see if Sprinco offers something for 308 AR's

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The fuzzy side velcro and a few coils off the ejector spring would be a start. So that the ejector, when unpinned, sits about 1/8 inch or so IIRC, above the face of the bolt.... I'd have a spare spring handy before I clipped though....just in case.

Too much gas generally shows as lifted rims on firing, IE opening the bolt before the brass shrinks.

Just a slap on the gun, nick the anodizing and ding the brass... every last AR I've had would do that if you didn't play with them a bit and soft coat the deflector.

You'll find if you trim the ejector spring too your brass falls in neater piles, and generally starts falling almost in front of you instead of way off and behind you...

Ours were tuned that if you knew where to place a cap in say sititng rapid fire, all cases would be in the cap after 10 were fired....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks y'all

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 66 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,085
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.