Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
After reading most of the religious threads I think most posting Christians don't have a clue about lordship. I find in God's Word a Christian is a slave of righteousness.

In Romans 6:15-18 we read,

"What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! 16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness? But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed, and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. "

When I suggest to Christians here we should obey the New Testament they enmas, instead of obeying the New Testament insturction, go into attack mode and accuse me of trying to go back to Moses' Law. It's not just here, it in most churches.

I met a young assistant pastor. He decided to actually obey the New Testament instructions. With a cpuple weeks his boss, the senior pastor, told him to either give up on this obedience stuff or be fired. He took the latter option.

You non-belevers pick a New Testament instruction and post it here and see who actually obeys. Remember it was the chruch of Jesus' day who killed him.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
vel, Ringman i'll nibble around the edges.

since Jesus was a Jew, wonder why he wasn't bound to Old Testament rules & regs?

I mean, by extension, if he can ignore the Old Testament requirements, what makes you think it's not Ok to take the New Testament as a reference source and nothing more?

I mean, doesn't it strike you as strange that we put more weight on the New Testament and less on the Old Testament?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jesus was/is God!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GeoW
Jesus was/is God!
Yes, and regardless whether man "makes" or "allows" Him to be Lord or not, He is. We'll all acknowledge that one day.

Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was - Joe Sherlock

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gus

since Jesus was a Jew, wonder why he wasn't bound to Old Testament rules & regs?

I mean, by extension, if he can ignore the Old Testament requirements, what makes you think it's not Ok to take the New Testament as a reference source and nothing more?

I mean, doesn't it strike you as strange that we put more weight on the New Testament and less on the Old Testament?

Jesus did follow the Old Testament laws as God provided them to Moses - Jesus just didn't pay attention to the artificial rules some of the Jewish religious leaders put on top of God's Law.

To answer the question about why Christians aren't bound by ALL of the Old Testament requirements, Jesus fulfilled the Law as only He could and so we are no longer bound by the ceremonial portions of the Old Testament laws. Christians are still bound by the "moral" law as documented in the New Testament teachings. That's why Christians are OK to eat a bacon cheeseburger but not to fornicate.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I mean, by extension, if he can ignore the Old Testament requirements,

You need to understand the Whole Book. Jesus was crucified from the foundation of the world. He created the Law of Moses to show men they are sinners. He later fulfilled the Law and then abolished the Old Law by nailing it to His cross.

what makes you think it's not Ok to take the New Testament as a reference source and nothing more?

Since most Christians accept the above statement that Jesus fulfilled the Law and Jesus instituted a New Covenant in His Blood as Christians they generally accept the New Testament as the Word of God which brings people to salvation. But most Christians reject obeying the New Testament just as most non-Christians reject obeying the Moses� Law.

We have the most documented fact of history, based on legal historical evidence, that Jesus rose from the dead. His resurrection confirms what He claims and establishes the church.

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Originally Posted by Gus

Jesus did follow the Old Testament laws as God provided them to Moses - Jesus just didn't pay attention to the artificial rules some of the Jewish religious leaders put on top of God's Law.

To answer the question about why Christians aren't bound by ALL of the Old Testament requirements, Jesus fulfilled the Law as only He could and so we are no longer bound by the ceremonial portions of the Old Testament laws. Christians are still bound by the "moral" law as documented in the New Testament teachings. That's why Christians are OK to eat a bacon cheeseburger but not to fornicate.
Very well said indeed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bears repeating.

Originally Posted by My post from another thread

Originally Posted by Ringman
please try to keep from waving your faith in my face.

Should I ask you to stop waving your faith in my face?

[Linked Image]

You'll sleep better...

Last edited by Steve; 07/29/14.

Carpe' Scrotum
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Originally Posted by Gus

It's not only the ceremonial portions of the law that we are free from. Paul spoke of freedom from the law in Romans 7:4-9. He was not speaking only of ceremonial law because he gives the example of the law saying "thou shall not covet" as an example of the law we are free from.

Being free from the law however is not freedom to sin. We are free from the law so that we can be married to another.Rom.7:1-4.

What we are not to do however is to judge our standing with God based on our obedience. I am not however saying that we should not obey, but we can't judge our salvation based on how well we obey or on how we do not obey. Our salvation can only be based on the obedience of Jesus. We can never be good enough on our own. Any man who says he is saved because he is obedient is a fool. Any man who says he is completely obedient is a liar.

Our obedience can only come through grace. By grace, I can see what God has done in me. By grace I can see who God has made me to be.I am his son. I obey because I love him, and I love him because he first loved me. When I see God's love for me and understand who I am now because of grace, obedience is just the natural result.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 07/29/14.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I obey because I love him

What are, let's say, five things in the New Testament instructions you obey? Should other Christians obey these also?

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ringman,I could name you a host of instructions to obey but I don't have to keep a list. I can love others as Christ has loved me and I will keep them all.

God wants you to be more focused on your connection to him then on your connection to sin.

PS
Yes, Jesus is Lord!!!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
"Jesus is LORD" became the reason to persecute his early followers. Why? Because Rome wanted its subjects to declare "Caesar is lord", and the Christians couldn't acknowledge his godship, any more than Jews in general could. The Shemah, said daily, taught otherwise. "Jesus is LORD" means that one acknowledges his claim, backed up by death and subsequent resurrection from death, to be LORD.

YHVH (I AM) respectfully addressed by Jews using the term Adonai means "LORD". Jesus fulfilled the OT/"law" requirements and is now "both LORD and Christ(Messiah)" as the NT relates. He did claim to be God and equal with God, so one has to either bend the knee now (or do so eventually) or dismiss Him altogether. Your choice -- please make one you'll stand behind forever...

Last edited by agazain; 07/29/14.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

What are, let's say, five things in the New Testament instructions you obey? Should other Christians obey these also?
Not five. Only two.

Love the Lord with your all and your neighbor as yourself.

Everything else is religion. Religion does not save.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RickyD

Not five. Only two.

I kinda like that. however, please don't raise the bristles on the back of your neck, but it does kinda imply that Jesus was a True Communist. (no, not a statist communist like the red Chinese, Russia, etc.).

the Essenes back in the day, a Jewish sect, might have had a taste or flavor of said subject? not really sure what the Zealots thought, for certain.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yes, Jesus is Lord. As well as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by RickyD

Not five. Only two.

That is Christ's summation of the law & the prophets. If I could do that I'd have no need of Christ.

I seek to be Christlike out of gratitude to Him for a redemption which makes me able to obey and at the same time makes my obedience a non-issue.

I seek to be Christlike, but am far, far from it which is why it's grace and not wages.

Anyone who thinks he keeps any laws or rules has real problems.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
efw
I like what you are saying and I know how you mean it but the reality is that by grace, you are Christ like.You have been "made" righteous just as Christ was "made" to be sin.

Christ never sinned, just as we have never been righteous, yet by his sacrifice we have been given the gift of righteousness.

I just don't want anyone who is born again to see their self as becoming.By one sacrifice he has perfected forever them that are sanctified. All we are perfecting now is our faith to receive all that already has been done for us and all that already belongs to us through Jesus the author and finisher of our faith.

You are Christlike, but it is by faith and not works. He that is joined to the Lord is one Spirit. It is this knowing and resting in his already finished work in you which produces the fruit of the Spirit. As we dwell on our already being complete in our Spirit, we crucify or put to death our flesh and walk in the spirit rather than by the flesh.

Fruit is the result of the life of the Spirit. Works are the result of any flesh effort. I cannot produce fruit by the works of my flesh, even good works. I produce fruit by my life connection to the vine.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
All knees will bend and all will bow to Him, period.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
if I have grace, was it given freely, or did I do something for it?

if I believe, was it innate, or was I made to believe?

if I'm saved, did I "do" it, or was it freely given?

how did I qualify? anyone know for sure?

if I "believe" did I do something? or was it already in my DNA?

y'all need to understand your theology. ya know?

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
if I have grace, was it given freely, or did I do something for it?

Yes. No.

if I believe, was it innate, or was I made to believe?

Yes.

if I'm saved, did I "do" it, or was it freely given?

Both
how did I qualify? anyone know for sure?

By accepting the Free Gift of God�s Son. Yes.

if I "believe" did I do something? or was it already in my DNA?

Yes. Perhaps.

y'all need to understand your theology. ya know?

I agree.

Everyday Hunter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 280Jeff, 270cowboy, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.