Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Oh good, since others have pointed out that you don't have any idea how to use or sharpen a blade, and that your blades are of inherently inferior materials, as theirs are not the same and thus are to be instantly recognised as superior design, build quality, colour, and shape...and they automatically endow their users with a longer penis (or two).

For the rest of we poor uneducated saps that have been using knives for a lifetime (and obviously doing it wrong), it is a simple thing to carry a Case Moon Stick or a similar ceramic sharpening stick in the paddock, I suggest this as the ceramic sticks allow for use as a small butcher's steel and are light to carry.

I've used a tin can lid for scraping hides and for quartering critters. Just to do it. I've used decent steel like Chicago Cutlery, Camillus, Gerber etc and I have no doubt in my mind that the newer steels are far superior. I made my first blade out of D2 back in high school, and with good heat treatment and diamond stones it is a treat to use. With modern heat treatment and tempering it's one of the damn near competitive with anything. I don't want to go back to the quality of steel I used back in the fifties through seventies, I know better.

For people like you, who think average is good enough, just remember you have to be better than average at sharpening and resharpening them. You have to do it more often that average. You also get to spend more time than average on the work you do with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MILES58;
Thanks for the report on your VG10 experience and the link.....though I'm not sure I needed the link right yet if you know what I mean? laugh

One of the folders in the photos I put up is a Spyderco Centofante III with a very thin VG10 blade. I've used it on a whole bunch of skinning and field dressing chores and like you came away with a very favorable impression of VG10 or at least the way Spyderco has heat treated it.

In any discussion about steel I've found that who has heat treated it and by extension how they do it makes a huge difference. Just like all steels, all heat treating facilities are not created equally..... wink

Thanks again sir and all the best to you for the remainder of our summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
[Linked Image] Some good info in this thread, but so far nobody has mentioned this. Carry a few replacement blades and you won't have to worry about dull. I never field sharpen a knife any more.

When I found out about Havalon knives, I told all my doctor friends who hunt, and my taxidermist friends. I found out they all use them, although not all of them knew about the folding mechanism the blade attaches to. They were using them on a fixed handle.

I figure if it's sharp enough for doctors, it's sharp enough for me. Saves a lot of time and weight. Wish I would have had one on my moose hunt.

Steve.

Look at a post around 934 AM this morning. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by BC30cal
xxclaro;
Top of the morning to you again sir, hopefully the day has been going well.

So obviously I'm incapable of a short answer, but here goes... blush

For skinning and "typical" field dressing I'll usually go with a mirror polished edge if the steel is happy with that or say a 1500 grit finish at least.

I mention the 1500 grit finish as one folder I've got - Gerber GatorMate first run of 154CM - does not cut as efficiently on hide with a mirror polished edge but cuts like the dickens if finished with 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

Lay the sand paper grit of choice on a piece of glass - use favorite cutting oil and go for it.

For a mirror polish I use an 8" leather faced stropping wheel I made up with 3/4" MDF and a chunk of oak bark tanned rein leather. I use a grey, fine polishing media to dope/dress the wheel and turn it with a 1/2 HP motor at 1760rpm.

When cutting meat, that is to say butchering, I've found a coarser "toothy" edge works better and in my experience lasts longer than when I put a mirror polish onto the boning knives.

Steak or roast cutting scimitar knives that don't run along bone for their entire shift seem to do OK with a mirror polish, but are equally OK with the coarser edge I've attempted to describe.

Hopefully that made some sense and was useful information to you xxclaro. Have a good one and good luck whichever way you decide to sharpen your various blades.

Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne, that seems to be what I'm experiencing too. The mirror edge shaves beautifully, but doesn't seem to cut quite as well as the slightly rougher edge when butchering. I believe it is probably superior in some instances, and I do all my broadheads that way, but I think I'll try your 1500 grit method. I used to have several glass plates with varying grits for sharpening chisels and the like, believe they got lost in the move though.

Might be I can use something like a paint stick to glue a piece and to and it should work ok to put in the camper and touch up knives while sitting around the fire at night. Also found a gizmo similar to what Steelhead posted, only mine has just the single slot with the ceramic rods. It does seem to help though. I'm going to see if I can find the dual slot one in town.

I've got a two week archery elk hunt coming up here in September, followed by moose season back here at home, so I'm collecting all my knives and trying to get them ready to go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Think of a knife edge like saw blade, same idea in a way, only a lot smaller teeth. Honed to smooth and it will not cut some things as well as a tad rougher edge (larger teeth) will.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've heard the "toothy" edge Dwayne mentions called a wire edge. Under a microscope it is a miniature saw compared to a shaving edge. Butchers prefer it. In the field I like the smooth shaving edge, but when cutting meat at home we use knives with slightly softer steel sharpened to a "toothy" edge.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Look at a post around 934 AM this morning. LOL.

Ah -- missed that post.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MILES58

Oh good, since others have pointed out that you don't have any idea how to use or sharpen a blade, and that your blades are of inherently inferior materials, as theirs are not the same and thus are to be instantly recognised as superior design, build quality, colour, and shape...and they automatically endow their users with a longer penis (or two).

For the rest of we poor uneducated saps that have been using knives for a lifetime (and obviously doing it wrong), it is a simple thing to carry a Case Moon Stick or a similar ceramic sharpening stick in the paddock, I suggest this as the ceramic sticks allow for use as a small butcher's steel and are light to carry.

I've used a tin can lid for scraping hides and for quartering critters. Just to do it. I've used decent steel like Chicago Cutlery, Camillus, Gerber etc and I have no doubt in my mind that the newer steels are far superior. I made my first blade out of D2 back in high school, and with good heat treatment and diamond stones it is a treat to use. With modern heat treatment and tempering it's one of the damn near competitive with anything. I don't want to go back to the quality of steel I used back in the fifties through seventies, I know better.

For people like you, who think average is good enough, just remember you have to be better than average at sharpening and resharpening them. You have to do it more often that average. You also get to spend more time than average on the work you do with them.

Gee, I haven't spent 17 years harvesting kangaroos and field processing them for the chiller to earn my livelyhood, guess I didn't spend all those years cutting through ribs, briskets, hoppers, dirt and mud laden tails, arms, and smashed skulls and neck bones.

And I probably didn't spend a goodly number of those years harvesting pigs for the chiller either (not one or two for the fun of it).

F Dick, Swibo, Eicker, Vitorinox, and those Kiwi blades are what is used commercially.

You see...For people like you, 40 or 50 thousand carcases is probably outside your ken.

This was the first gut of the night, I shot and processed 74 that night, and 95 the next night...let me see your you-beaut stay sharp maintain that.
[Linked Image]
My brother posing for pic at Freshwater station NSW.

Have a nice day.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think too many make it all too complicated. I have relatives that worked on the line at Morrell's processing pork. They use commercial quality knives of good steel but not the super knife steels. They do buy really good steels and steel constantly to keep the edge. When the edge is worn down they switch knifes and have it reground (not polished) by one of the guys that picks up a couple extra bucks that way. An uncle did that and always had work, he could grind a good working edge that held up longer. They can go through a couple knives a shift but that's cutting more meat than most of us ever will.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Okanagan
I've heard the "toothy" edge Dwayne mentions called a wire edge. Under a microscope it is a miniature saw compared to a shaving edge. Butchers prefer it. In the field I like the smooth shaving edge, but when cutting meat at home we use knives with slightly softer steel sharpened to a "toothy" edge.

Right, except it isn't a "wire". That has to be removed. Something like a woodplane's iron has to be several orders of magnitude sharper to accomplish its task than a knife has to be to butcher a critter.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 08/04/14.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Rubbish...anyone working as a slaught in an abs uses a finely polished steel for touching up his meat knife, anything else drags in the meat and is too bloody hard on the wrists.

Most carry two steels, a slightly courser steel for bringing up a dulled edge, a fine polished steel to make that edge run.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A wire edge is a very weak edge and really isn't an edge at all. It needs to be removed, which is what stropping will do for you, and is why you need to go from coarse grit to finer grits to the leather strop with diamond paste or jeweler's rouge on it. A diamond stone will remove steel fastest of any method and I don't even use a coarse diamond plate. Unless the edge is like a butter knife, you don't need a coarse stone or diamond plate surface. Start with a DMT medium till it's sharp, then go to the DMT fine or ultra fine till it's really sharp, then go to the leather strop.

The diamond plate will never dish or wear out. And it's really fast. Use it dry, wash with soap and water, dry it and put it away. It'll outlast you.

I used Arkansas stones for a long time. Bought some really expensive ones. Thought I had the best of the best till I took that sharpening class and learned how the pros do it. Got the Arkansas stones boxed up now and will sell them if anyone needs old style sharpening. If you have not tried Diamond plates, then you haven't tried the good stuff. Get that DMT folder and put it in your hunting bag. Get the red/blue combo. Go to the Woodcraft website. They sell it and they sell the bigger diamond plates also. You want the Medium and the Ultra Fine. That's all you need.

The angle of the edge matters a lot. If you lay the blade flat on the stone, you can get a really finely angled edge. Probably will have a wire edge or close to it. Won't last, but it'll be really sharp for a very short time (think old style shaving razor). If you cut an edge that is at too big an angle it won't be really sharp, but it'll last forever (think Axe). What you want is to find the edge angle that suits what you need it to do - one that'll be both sharp and durable. Older steels will sharpen easily and quickly, but won't hold an edge long, but you can re-edge it easily and quickly. The newer steels can be harder to sharpen, but will hold an edge longer. As I've gradually become a more accomplished woodworker (and smarter) with chisels and hand planes, I've bought better and harder steels. To sharpen them, I really need those diamond plates. Some folks use sandpaper on granite and think that's pretty cool. I think it's pretty messy and less efficient. I need to sharpen a chisel or whatever, and get right back to the woodworking as fast and efficiently as I can. That's why I use diamond plates and that's why that DMT diamond plate folder is now in my bag for the hunting knife. It's what works best.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Exactly right on the two grades of steels. The fine steel gets the most use on the line. A cousin gave me a fine steel that someone lost, nicer than I would probably buy for home use. He said they were going for about $60 at the time.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

If your cousin worked as a boner for any length of time I would bet London to a brick he has hands like a gorilla, thick wrists and forearms, is showing sign of arthritis in his wrists and shoulders, and has problems with varicose veins from standing on cold cement all day.

It is a bugger of a job.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you cut an edge that is at too big an angle it won't be really sharp, but it'll last forever (think Axe).

I know it's quibbling but you do want a sharp edge on an axe. An axe that doesn't bite is dangerous, glancing and bouncing hither and yon. My grandfather used one for a living and you could just about shave with his axes. Touched up with a stone like a meat cutter with a steel.

BTW, he used a pedal powered wet wheel for everything but pocket knives, for that he used the fine side of his axe stone. Didn't like electric power wheels as part of his technique was controlling the speed of the wheel. His knives you could shave with. (though it wouldn't be fun with the not razor edge angle)

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don's dad got him jobs off the line pretty fast, and his brother too. Old Len had some of those problems and didn't want his kids to get them. My cousin has arthur in hands and back though. I'm pretty sure they have rubber mats on the line and a good cutting height. One place where the union does good work, until they get too political at least.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Rubbish...anyone working as a slaught in an abs uses a finely polished steel for touching up his meat knife, anything else drags in the meat and is too bloody hard on the wrists.

Most carry two steels, a slightly courser steel for bringing up a dulled edge, a fine polished steel to make that edge run.

We have some different semantics working against us as to what we (and butchers we know) call it but what you are describing is exactly what I am. I will stick to my guns that no steel I've ever seen or heard of will put the kind of smooth shaving edge that a old time razor hone or the rim of a fine China ceramic cup will (which I have used a number of times to finish such an edge). The steel puts a micro toothy edge on the blade which cuts meat smoothly and superbly, as you say.

603country,

What I've heard called a wire edge is the edge AFTER the tiny weak strip is removed. Who knows who gets to define these terms? I'm OK with your definition.

To anyone interested: Clarifying what each of us means by the same word helps the conversation, and asking when it is not clear is usually more helpful than attacking before we find out. laugh

Last edited by Okanagan; 08/04/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

The wire edge, also called a "burr" is a strand of weak metal that forms when the apex is ground. The big challenge in sharpening is getting rid of that. It is not the same as the micro teeth. A wire edge will snap off shortly after you start cutting with it, taking the teeth with it, and you will think your knife "won't hold an edge". I think a lot of guys will pull a wire edge on their coarse stone and then move on to the finer ones without getting rid of it and just polish and refine the burr.

You can shave with a burr and cut with it for a little while so a guy will think his knife is sharp. One obvious sign of a burr is a knife that will shave on one side of the bevel and not the other. That is why I prefer cutting phone book paper to shaving as a test of the quality of my edge. You won't be able to cut phone book paper but 4 or 5 slices before a burr starts failing and you start tearing the paper. Another trick is to cut a couple of slices in cardboard or maybe lightly whittle some soft wood. You should be able to still cut phone book paper after that if the edge is burr free. If not, the cardboard snapped off the burr and your knife was never really sharpened right.

I don't think a lot of non knife nuts understand this. A run of the mill knife will cut well a long time if it has a clean burr free edge at any given level of refinement...certainly long enough to skin and gut a deer.

Last edited by RJY66; 08/04/14.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Steel has pretty much been my life since shortly after puberty. I've worked with about all of them that anyone can mention and then some.

I'm also a bit of a knife nut and have the typical drawer full of knives in my dresser.

For the past few years I've developed a fondness for old school carbon steel blades,...typically 1095 hardened to about,...oh,..I don't know,...maybe Rockwell 56 or so.

It doesn't hold an edge like D2 or Vega will, but once you get your own bevel put on a piece of 1095 carbon steel, all it takes is a minute or two with a medium grit silicon carbide stone and it's back in business.

Green River knives are good, no nonsense carbon steel knives,..so are Old Hickory.

As for field sharpening, a 3X5X1/2" medium grit silicon carbide stone and a small bottle of light oil doesn't eat up much room in a backpack,...and compared to a quality Arkansas stone, they cost next to nothing.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Norton-Crystolon-Bench-Stone-8-x-3-P24C5.aspx

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me, water seems to work better than oil unless the stone can be dipped in a oil bath. Oil to me at least tends to gum up the stone.
Once a stone has been used with oil water will never work well.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (1minute, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 48 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,155
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.