Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Lows are barely too low and mediums are too high for my rifle. Need to split the difference. Does anybody here that can do that or will Talley do custom heights ?

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Call Talley, they did a custom set for me a couple of years ago.

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I did. Their response was that there is only .1" difference... I guess they know better than me what my scope mount height should be...

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For that little how about adding shims under the lows? I hate shims on principle but sometimes you compromise. If done right they are nearly invisible. Certainly not distracting. Call them spacers, sounds better.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I can't see me being able to live with shims. Even if you can't really tell I'll know they're there. I've already moved on to another build and will live with it being not quite right until I can find something better to hold my scopes. These were the first Talleys I've tried and after the "it's only .1" difference" comment they will be the last. It's like the smith who told me I didn't need a lighter than 3lb trigger. If they think they know better than me what I need then f'em.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or there is file time if you're a bit talented and patient. And measure often as you go.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm probably going to talk to the guys at the cnc machine shop I deliver to occasionally and see if they can do me a favor. I don't know squat about what it would take and they may tell me it's too big of a deal to set up or they may be able to help. Either way I can use the rifle as is . It just bugs me being ever so slightly higher than I want. Heck , it's a 7mm wsm so I just need to shoot it a little and I'll need a new barrel . Rework the whole thing again and go in another direction.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
How much do you need taken off and what is the action it is to fit on. I would need to know what the radius is on the front and rear rings to do it.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
They need to come down .05 " and they are on a model 70 classic wsm short action.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I know I'm being anal about it but to give you an idea the with lows I can kind of see daylight between the bell and barrel but a piece of notebook paper won't slide between so the medium are the full .1"+ above the barrel. It's just not "right " when I look at it. Looks like bubba who doesn't know any better mounted the scope.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You may be surprised that they might touch when you shoot if you go that low

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
If I went with the lows I would be concerned and that's why I want to cut down mediums. If a #5 lilja flexes .05 at 1.5" from the action I'll have more to worry about than just the scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WOW that's a very different experience than I had, they were very accommodating and actually sent me 2 sets that had different amounts taken off (model 70 as well). I kept one and sent the other back and the cost was nothing. May be different people running the place now??

Like you I couldn't get use to the thought of shims, I'm sure others can do it for you

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
The no part of the email didn't surprise me or offend me but the flippant "it's only .1" difference" part rubbed me really wrong. If I think it's a problem then it's a problem. If the didn't want to make it their problem to fix I can understand but to imply it isn't a problem is disrespectful to me. Instant hair raise on the back of my neck.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How well does the scope line up with your eye when you mount the rifle?

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
It's just a hair high but I've got a cheek pad that I'll adjust the foam in to get it right. It is more anesthetic than function. At this point I'm going to paint the stock and go shooting....when I find some brass ! I keep hearing October for WW 7mm wsm brass. I've started a 6.5 saum project so I'm just not into the 7mm wsm at the moment.

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
If I went with the lows I would be concerned and that's why I want to cut down mediums. If a #5 lilja flexes .05 at 1.5" from the action I'll have more to worry about than just the scope.

It's not about the barrel flexing so much as it is the scope tube, mounts and action. The objective lens bell is heavy with all that glass and it is cantilevered from the forward ring by 2+ inches or more. You need to see a high speed video of a scope tube flexing when a heavy recoiling rifle is fired. It is amazing how much everything moves. This one is not directly applicable, but does show what happens when a medium recoil cartridge is fired: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeXOloDxk6U
IMHO, 0.1" should be a minimum.

RAN

Last edited by RAN; 08/12/14.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Contact 16bore here on the forum. He machines Talleys for Tikka's and may be able to do what you need for your rifle. Check his post and you can see what they do for the Tikka.

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx210/16bore/2Talleyrings.jpg

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks , I'll see what he can do.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
How thick is a strip of aluminum pop can? You could trim it to fit the shape of the base and drill holes for the mounting screws. one or two thicknesses between the low base and the receiver might just get you the perfect height.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 1minute, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 63 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,451 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,973
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.