Originally Posted by splattermatic
Good movie on SYFY right now.
The Dead.
Zombie outbreak in West Africa.

How fitting.
Seen it. Not great as the genre goes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If the outbreak persists in West Africa, as it appears to be doing, the virus is almost certainly going to arrive here anyway. In the meantime, having the main virology lab just down the hall from the patients has got to be a better set up than whatever we could set up in Africa.

IMHO the chance of Having a vaccine and/or effective drugs on hand when it does get here trumps any fears of it escaping from the CDC.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That makes good sense they feel it will eventually get here. They don't want panic so they don't say that. This is just building mistrust. Nothing better than getting their lab rats right down the hall. I believe they feel this is going to get spread around and there is no way in this day and age to isolate the US from it. So they need a vaccine.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
...and more than just the lab, its the network of expert researchers and laboratory personnel associated with that lab that would matter. No way they could haul all those folks over to Africa, neither would communication and shipping be as swift.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

B
B
This was a mission trip for both. Doc just got out of beening a resident here in Fort Worth at the free hospital. County Poor hospital.

He's a family type Doc, but got pushed into the Ebola thing few months ago. His family came back to the US 3 days before he got sick. Abilene, Tx is where they are hiding.

The Doctor now in NY was from Ft. Worth? And who is hiding in Abilene?

I watched this last night on CNN, feel bad for the people in the village of the epicenter of all this.

I'm new here. Anyone know of where I can find info on LONGBOWS? I tried the Bow forum, but nada.

thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BLH, go to that forum and post your question. You will get a response. Velcome to der 'Fire!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yes, BL, welcome to the Fire. Wear asbestos. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
B
Thanks Gents!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I heard Rush's little thing on this; what a douchbag! This is nothing to fear at all, it's BL-4 containment and it will stay contained.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I heard Rush's little thing on this; what a douchbag! This is nothing to fear at all, it's BL-4 containment and it will stay contained.

Like I said

Those two are the least of oue worries

Look to the SW for the problem

and

our airports

Snake

Last edited by temmi; 08/05/14.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
You're far to kind, I was thinkin' round 90%

You right, Gunner.

But, those numbers are from third world countries where medical support is lacking or nonexistent.

With good medical support, those numbers would be way lower.

It's still a bad actor, no doubt.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In an apparent attempt to avoid hysteria, U.S. health authorities are withholding details about a number of suspected Ebola victims from the public.

During a segment concerning the admission of a potential Ebola victim at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City, CNN�s Dr. Sanjay Gupta revealed that there have been at least six cases at the hospital which prompted doctors to test for Ebola but that the details were not divulged publicly.

�There have been about a half a dozen patients who have had their blood tested because of concern, those particular patients their stories were not made public,� said Gupta, adding, �I�m not sure if that�s because of heightened concern by the hospital or what that means exactly.�

Gupta also appeared to suggest that patients being tested for the Ebola virus were not being kept in isolation when he stated, �This isn�t the kind of thing that they worry about spreading to other patients in the hospital, spreading to people who are walking around the hospital. This is not an airborne virus.�

However, at least in the case of the patient who was made public yesterday, hospital officials said the individual was immediately put into isolation as a precaution.

As we reported yesterday, despite health authorities downplaying the likelihood of Ebola going airborne, studies by Canadian scientists suggest that this is in fact likely, at least to a limited degree.

The Public Health Agency of Canada�s official website also states that �airborne spread among humans is strongly suspected, although it has not yet been conclusively demonstrated.�

The CDC has urged airline staff to take steps to prevent the airborne spread of the virus, including giving suspected Ebola victims surgical masks as well as directing staff to �not use compressed air, which might spread infectious material through the air.�

Last edited by Mannlicher; 08/05/14.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paranoid and ignorant people will just be paranoid and ignorant; not much hope for them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
let's see you go over to Sierra Leone and change some dressings, or empty some bed pans.

Sam......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Begs the question,How many in an outbreak would it take to overwhelm the health system as it is now,you know not in good shape?

Need to buy stock in the company's that make those masks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
we have to die from something ,

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Begs the question,How many in an outbreak would it take to overwhelm the health system as it is now,you know not in good shape?

Need to buy stock in the company's that make those masks.

Not all That many

In a small town/city just a vary few

Snake

Last edited by temmi; 08/05/14.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A research lab set-up in Africa would not likely be one set-up on the bank of some river way out in the boonies... and would much better be served in an international effort near where the disease is located... and should I say better contained!

Is it better for us to bring it here, and possibly other countries doing the same... England, France, Germany and all the rest that are doing research?

I would think it would be much better to keep it where it is and have an international research lab combined in an effort to really solve the problem working together and sharing the expense.

Not spreading it all over the world with each trying to solve it separately! And maybe not finding a cure, until after its spread world wide.

Phil

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Lockhart: Puzzles me why you don't give an opinion on the topic you post about - but I will!
There is NOTHING good that can possibly come from bringing living Ebola victims FROM Africa TO America!
Nothing!
If need be America should send medicine, treatment policies and willing Doctors TO Africa to treat "chosen" patients (patients of Americas choice).
Don't bring "chosen" patients here.
"We" are going to mess around and get one of these rampant African "plagues" rolling here in America.
That would make an already terrible situation even worse.
I hope and pray that the Africans can get a handle on this latest plague on their continent.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 257Bob, 2500HD, 1234, 117LBS, 58 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,878
Posts18,518,151
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.