Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I just got a New Remington Long Range rifle in 7mm Mag.
I am interested in hearing which might be the better oil to keep the bore lightly coated with for protection against rust.
Both for when in storage and when hunting in humid conditions.
I have read that Corrosion X is very good
i haved used Break free CLP and thought it pretty good but now I read that it has Teflon in it therefore that it will not allow the best accuracy.

I want something that will protect the bore,wont throw flyers for the first few shots.
Even though the rifles is stainless I still want to take the best care of it I can especially the bore.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bcraig

I want something that will protect the bore,wont throw flyers for the first few shots.

I don't think that can be guaranteed for any oil.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/06/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd forget about oil and treat with Dyna-Bore Coat and just keep shooting. Clean it once in a while. When I want to use an oil or clean my rifles, I use KG products.

Last edited by CLB; 08/06/14.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Any oil I"ve ever used will toss the first shot or two or three.

Even switching to different ammo, different powders or bullet jackets in a string will or can do the same thing.

Whatever you do, its best to shoot a couple shots first, and if not, then run dry patches for sure before shooting.

I never worry about rust in the tube much. I have almost all my bores coated as notead above, no issues

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't know if it's "the best" but this has always worked well for me:

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Cleaning-and-Maintenance/Barricade%C2%AE-Rust-Protection.aspx

For some reason the link doesn't work, it's Birchwood Casey Barricade, also called SHeath.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another vote for Dyna Bore Coat, which isn't an oil. Instead it leaves a permanent, very thin layer of silica (glass) in the bore, which not only protects it from rusting but vastly reduces fouling. There's no reason to use any oil, so no reason for first-shot fliers. In fact you don't even have to clean the bore before storing the rifle.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
The Dyna Bore Coat sounds good.
Will the Dyna Bore Coat take any potential accuracy from the bore?

IF not I will order some.
In a new bore ,do I just clean the barrel out with solvent then apply?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, DBC does not affect accuracy. Sometimes it even helps it somewhat, since fouling is reduced.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Alright ,sounds good
How would you apply it to a new bore John?

Craig

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not JB, but have used his advice on DBC. Just follow the directions that come with the product, that should be all you need. So far, I've treated about 15 rifles, a couple of muzzle loaders and 4-5 handguns, and it works great!

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, follow directions, get the cleanest bore you can, JB compound and both carbon and copper solvents, and once its clean, apply and shoot. But follow the time lines.

ON stubborn guns you may have to treat the bore after a year of shooting again, but Doug is always around to walk you through more stubborn(read rough typically) bores.

I"ve left BLACKPOWDER in my treated MZ guns after FIRING them a few times, reload with black, and keep it that way for over a year, no isuses.

I have one test tube somewhere that was fired with real blackpowder probalby close to 10 years ago and never cleaned. Last I looked maybe last fall, it still had not developed rust.

IF you know anything about black powder, the real stuff, you'll know what this means.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks everyone,I will be ordering some this week.

Craig

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Corrosion X gets my vote hands down, over 15 years using it! very best winpoor

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Can DBC be applied to a brand new barrel or should it be shot a little bit (break in) first?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Either one.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rost495

Even switching to different ammo, different powders or bullet jackets in a string will or can do the same thing.

YEP, even tho some don't believe that.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by rost495

YEP, even tho some don't believe that.

Of course, let's keep in mind that what some of us consider "flyers" wouldn't make a whit's difference to some, for some purposes.

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
I don't know if it's "the best" but this has always worked well for me:

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Cleaning-and-Maintenance/Barricade%C2%AE-Rust-Protection.aspx

For some reason the link doesn't work, it's Birchwood Casey Barricade, also called SHeath.

25-30 years ago, I had a gunsmith recommend Sheath/Barricade over the commonly available oils as superior corrosion protection. I've been using it ever since and have never had rust issues. There's likely as good or better products out there but I've never seen any reason to change. One thing I like is it's thin, goes on wet and evaporates so doesn't leave a wet film to collect crud.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Iron bender, I have treated 6 new bores with DBC with excellent results. Just keep in mind that new doesn't mean it's clean. Starting with a clean bore is the key.

Randy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm at the very start of my relationship with Dyna Bore Coat, so I cannot comment how it works. What I CAN tell you is that the deep-cleaning regimen, done right, will assuredly build up your upper body strength. 100 passes per rifle with a tight patch is quite a bit, but I would say that it is probably going to be worth it.

I have a new Ruger Hawkeye that was the original impetus for the DBC. I've done several since. Just with the practice rounds, baking in the Hawkeye, I shot my best 100 yard group ever.

For those using BC Sheath, I would recommend stepping up to Eezox. I was using Sheath for 20 years and had the drains back up. I got all the firearms out of the basement, but it left the house humid. I had a battle with rust for the next year or so. Eezox performed much better than Sheath. YMMV.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,677
Posts18,534,241
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.