Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I shot the new to me woods gun today to get scope sighted in and see what ammo it prefers. By "woods gun" I mean I have a "woods walk" with targets set up for friends and family to hike though our property and shoot various targets. I had planned to post the selection of guns available but I will do that in another post along w trail shots. Anyway, back to this gun. I wanted a bolt action. All the bolts I own are 40x varieties. I limit the guns on the walk to 22/22wmr. My heavy barreled 40x 22 is too much to lug though the woods. Looking into sporters. As I am saving for a rather pricy Mauser (details later) the clip fed sporters were too much. This single shot safe queen popped up(anyone need a sporter box? Lol) grabbed it as it had a 1 in price as the first #! Mounted an illuminated Swarovski and broke it in today. Tried 5 ammo types, 5 rounds each at 100.
Eley, just like its big brother in a heavy barrel. I prob can tighten it up as it breaks in and put it on my viper rest but not a bad start.
[Linked Image]

Came with pretty nice wood
[Linked Image]

First group upper right, eley was shooting low ( was shooting cci before that) believe it or not I was aiming at the target 4" higher and it hit this one. Second group a bit better but even stil the first is less than dime at 100

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good enough for popping clays in the woods! Wish I hadn't pulled that shot right, the other 4 were bungholed at 100

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You suck! Nuff said.

WarDamnEagle
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
< than $2000? Have you seen what the last single shot sporters and repeaters have gone for on Gunbroker?! Holy cow. What kind of gun were you holding on them when you stole that sucker? grin

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thx war smile

Repeaters ya, they are up around 5-6k. Frankly I don't know what the singles are costing. Grabbed it as I knew as a safe queen so wear wouldn't be an issue. ( If it makes u feel better I touched 2k paying for money orders and ffl smile

I considered a repeater but I am saving for another toy. Still working that deal and in the end, I am quite happy with the way this sporter shoots

Last edited by plastikosmd; 08/10/14.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by plastikosmd
Thx war smile

Repeaters ya, they are up around 5-6k. Frankly I don't know what the singles are costing. Grabbed it as I knew as a safe queen so wear wouldn't be an issue. ( If it makes u feel better I touched 2k paying for money orders and ffl smile

I considered a repeater but I am saving for another toy. Still working that deal and in the end, I am quite happy with the way this sporter shoots

I'd have snapped it up too. I've got several rimfire 40-X and XB target rifles and love 'em. Congrats.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Absolutely beautiful. I would have bought that in a heartbeat even at over $2000.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sadly other than pictures I've never so much as touched/looked at a 40x. I've owned and fired just about every mfg of rimfire made but the 40x has always eluded me.
She's a beauty sir.

WarDamnEagle
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That is a very nice rifle.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Sweet rifle.....I would have been bidding against you if I only had the funds cry. Glad a fellow 24hour guy got it and glad to see it shoots like they should!!

PennDog

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thank u!

It is the first 40x sporter I have held too. Light and balances nice. A bit over-scoped, I admit but the glass is nice

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even with that scope, I think some lower rings would be first on my list ..... of course I say this as I'm wiping drool off my keyboard .... wink

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Objective is 55 and the medium were too short. Had to go high. Luckily, cheek weld hits me perfect,thankfully!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
That is a beauty and a shooter, enjoy!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Is that gun all factory? I don't ever recall them offering a sporter in single shot although my knowledge on Remingtons is lacking. If it's factory what time frame is it from? I can tell it's not real old due to the skimpy checkering on the pistol grip. Don't take that the wrong way as it's a beautful rifle, I just htink they could have done a little more checkering on a gun of that caliber.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by reelman
Is that gun all factory? I don't ever recall them offering a sporter in single shot although my knowledge on Remingtons is lacking. If it's factory what time frame is it from? I can tell it's not real old due to the skimpy checkering on the pistol grip. Don't take that the wrong way as it's a beautful rifle, I just htink they could have done a little more checkering on a gun of that caliber.

Remington 40X and 40XB sporters came in single shot and repeaters. The repeaters demand huge prices these days. 40X Sporter .22's all came out of the custom shop, so could be ordered in any configuration you wanted. The checkering was done by a Master craftsman, as well as the stock work and metal work- all by hand. Most came with gorgeous high grade wood as the rifle above and shoot with just about any rifle made, as evidenced by the targets. Of course, shooter skill has something to do with those targets and the OP must quite the shooter to do that even with a very good target rifle.

Gorgeous rifle. I will be in the process of building a sporter 40X next year sometime from my target rifle (can't afford the originals) and I hope it comes out half as nice as the one above.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sheister

Gorgeous rifle. I will be in the process of building a sporter 40X next year sometime from my target rifle (can't afford the originals) and I hope it comes out half as nice as the one above.

Bob

Good Luck! ... that is one seriously great looking stock!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
thanks for the kind words bob. the rifle made it real easy. I'm sure your build will rival this old gun. post pics when done

Last edited by plastikosmd; 08/13/14.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (35, anothergun, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,570 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,642
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.