Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9085962 08/09/14
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking at developing loads for my 50 cal Omega. I have visions of using this gun for Colorado elk - which means no sabots. The 0.501" Thor fits my bore.

What size to buy? They come in 250 and 300 gr. I'd like to only use 1 bullet for both deer and elk. I'm inclined to go with the 300 gr version but knowing Barnes bullets, the 250's may suffice for both needs.

For those that have used Thors or Barnes equivalent, what do you think of using the 300's on WT deer and elk?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The heavier bullet will have a better sectional density and ballistic coefficient. I would choose the heavier one, unless the lighter one WAY out preformed the heavier one ,(shooting), in the rifle being used.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I err on the side of heavy. My gun shoots both equally well.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone use them on deer?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
used them a handful of times on deer and they drop them in a big damn hurry. Always used the 250's for deer.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would try the 300 first and stick with that unless they don't shoot in your gun. They fly plenty flat for open sights and always good to have a little extra for elk.

Venor ergo sum
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would use the Barnes 300 gr.. Like Angus said,, the 300 has a better sectional density and better B. Coefficent.. That the only bullet i shoot in my muzzy.. Very accurate,, never lost an aniamal,, usually drops them in their tracks.. Best killing bullet out there.. and the Thors..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just a heads up but with Thor bullets, you better get on those 300's really fast and he normally sells out of them around this time of year.

Give him the name Frontier Muzzleloading as well, he'll give you 10% off.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
[quote=bwinters]I'm looking at developing loads for my 50 cal Omega. I have visions of using this gun for Colorado elk - which means no sabots. The 0.501" Thor fits my bore.

What size to buy? They come in 250 and 300 gr. I'd like to only use 1 bullet for both deer and elk. I'm inclined to go with the 300 gr version but knowing Barnes bullets, the 250's may suffice for both needs.

For those that have used Thors or Barnes equivalent, what do you think of using the 300's on WT deer and elk? [/quote

They ned to be the right size for your barrel and are offered in 4 slightly different sizes. They send a trial kit to size your barrel.

Do move fast as its late in the year for CO Elk.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the heads up fellas. I don't have a MZ tag for this year - building points. I have 7 and should be able to get a tag if I choose to use them that way.

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Several years ago I got a set (4- iirc) to try in my 50 cal omega. None worked. The largest that went in was loose, and the largest would not go down the tube.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Iirc they said they were in the process of developing a size between the two largest in dia. I could not get good groups with the largest I could get down the bbl and went to the platinum power belt which groups into about 4 inches at 200 yds.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
"Guys, I just got my order of Thors in today and they are to small! My season starts next week and there's no way I will have time to send them back and get the right size. Any ideas?! "

Seems we run into this issue from time to time and so I took some pictures and will show you how to re-size your Thor bullets to a larger size thats very simple and effective!

Tools needed:

One small light weight hammer
One 3/8" 8mm socket "Matco 8mm shaft DIA is .449"-.450"
Thor Bullets of course
Caliper or Micrometer to measure bullets diameter

[Linked Image]

Now lets say you ordered .502" Bullets, but some of them as you found, just slide right down the bore very easily while the others take the recommended 20-30 lbs seating pressure. All is okay now! You can easily resize those looser fitting bullets to the size your need, and IMO this is the perfect way to get the exact size you need. You can now actually order the smaller .500" Thors and then resize them yourself to exactly what your rifles bore needs.
[Linked Image]
Today, I shot up the last of my Thors in my Traditions and all I have in stock are .500" Thors in 250gr Ballistic Tip. I decided to take a few pictures and share the process just in case you ever run into an undersized bullet in the package or simply want to take it up a level and size your own Thors for your bore. Quite a few on here knurl pistol bullets to fit their bores so they can shoot sabotless, this process is quite a bit easier because there's no knurling, just flaring up the base of the bullet a touch and measuring the diameter of the base and flare it up to where it needs to be for your bore size.

Get the idea?
[Linked Image]

I hold it in my hand so I can feel the amount of power I am hitting with.
[Linked Image]

After a few light taps with the hammer and I was where I needed to be.
[Linked Image]

After a couple shots at 100 yards, I dialed it in and took 3 shots for groups. WELL under 3/4" with first 2 shots touching!
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pretty cool trick there BB.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (2500HD, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,551 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,919
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.