Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was born and raised in S. Florida, lived there for most of 30 years and I've never been to Key West. Just never got around to it.

Been living in Idaho for 24 years now and until Friday had never been north of Riggins. Decided not to make the same mistake I made back in Florida, so went "north" this weekend. I need to burn some vacation time so am taking 4 day weekends every other week. Decided to use this one just driving around to places I'd never been before. I have no wife, no kids and my dog died three years ago so I am beholden to no one and need no one's permission to just get up and go somewhere.

Only a few rules. No set destination. No interstates, local roads only. No eating at chain restaurants and no sleeping at chain motels. Wanted to find all the little local joints. Managed three out of four but due to lack of rooms and time not quite the latter. Friday morning I started up US 95 and figured I'd get a motel when I got tired of driving, eat when I was hungry. If a road veered off and it looked good then follow it. Stop and look at all those scenic overlooks and historical sights that we just drive by. Found out that a lot of folks did a lot of stuff at one time or another north of here.

Long story short, it was fun. Lots of driving but fun. No motel rooms to be had from Coeur D'Alene to Canada thanks to some big music fest thereabouts, so at 9:00 PM and close to Canada I turned around and drove back to Spokane to find a room. Almost didn't find one there but managed to get one at a cheap motel. Apparently pot tourism is thriving already as there was a distinct odor wafting down the corridor. crazy Slept late, ate a huge breakfast at a little roadside joint near Sandpoint and wandered around North Idaho all day, ended up back in Lewiston Saturday evening to catch the smoke from the latest fire.

Ate way too much good food, talked to some nice people and saw some spectacularly pretty country. Took some touristy pictures of whitewater, smokey valleys, old trestle railroad bridges and kitschy restaurants. Also found out that a lot of Idaho looks like a lot of other parts of Idaho. wink

1134 miles in 2 1/2 days. My butt is kind of sore but after a little rest I think I'll do it again in a couple of weeks. Maybe flip a coin to see which way I'll head then. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like my kinda trip!

But maybe take it a bit slower. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho is HIGHLY varied. If you haven't been there, next trip go from CDA east over the border then south through Salmon and Challis. From there, you can go west through Stanley or south through Arco. The 2 places couldn't be any more different. There's a lot of history along the upper Salmon.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That sounds like a fine way to burn some vacation time.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I spent one winter going from Port Townsend to Calgary. Went up 95 and enjoyed every mile of it. Some day I would like to do it in a car instead of a truck with 26 tires on the ground. They made some great breakfasts at the truck stop north of Bonner's Ferry.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Somewhere along there I'd bet you wished you had someone along to share that with. I like to do those trips on the Harley, sleep on the ground, nowhere I have to be, no deadlines, no schedule. Just pick a direction.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You put on some serious miles Jim.

The smoke is bad right now and will probably stay that way until the rains come or some of the local fires burn themselves out.

Glad you had fun. If you ever need anything while up this way, give me a shout.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been contemplating making a similar trip on my Goldwing in the spring.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope you took 12 along the Clearwater River on your way from Lewiston to Grangeville, if not, then next time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Idaho is HIGHLY varied. If you haven't been there, next trip go from CDA east over the border then south through Salmon and Challis. From there, you can go west through Stanley or south through Arco. The 2 places couldn't be any more different. There's a lot of history along the upper Salmon.

+1

Salmon to Hailey, or vice-versa, would be a pretty nice ride, with a ton of history.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Should have let me know and you could have spent a night or two at our place outside Sandpoint. Breakfast at "The Hoot Owl" by chance?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
If you get back up there make time for the St. Joe's River. Fantastic trout stream!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

+1

Salmon to Hailey, or vice-versa, would be a pretty nice ride, with a ton of history.

Sycamore
It's worth the trip up the Yankee Fork to tour the old mining dredge and the town of Custer.

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Jim: Two things here. 1. I'm glad you took a trip. I hope you'll do it again as doing these things refreshes a man's soul. 2. I'm sorry you had no one to share it with.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 08/11/14.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Will try to reply to all.

Lots of driving but I stopped often to get out and look around. Took the driving easy as well, always at or below the speed limit. Not a lot of traffic on the roads (except 95) but if someone came up behind me I'd slow way down and move over at the first passing zone and let them by. Even had time for shopping. They have a Black Sheep sporting goods store in Lewiston, they used to have one in Boise but it closed. Anyway, I went in and found a good supply of powder, no .22 ammo but did buy a box of 500 Speer 148gr. HBWC for my .38 - figured I had to buy something from Speer since their factory is right there in Lewiston.

Did drive on 12 and 3 - that area east of Coeur D'Alene is really beautiful, but I can see why real estate is expensive around CDA. Also, I finally learned how to spell Coeur properly.

EdM - ate at The View, south of Sandpoint along 95. Nice place, had the home made meatloaf and mashed potatoes. It was so good I drove from Spokane to CDA and back up 95 to have breakfast there the next morning.

Wanted to head east to Missoula along 12 from Lewiston (Lewiston-Clarkston - nice names for towns, wonder where they got them from? grin ), then take 93, 75 and 21 back to Boise but it would have taken two more days and I knew I'd need a day of down time before heading back to work. Thinking of going the other way next time - north 21/75/93 to Missoula then find my way back through Rexburg and the southern route.

I appreciate the sentiment about having company but I'm used to being alone. I like people in small doses and like to talk to folks along the way but have found out through experience that I don't like to be stuck with someone for 48 or 72 hours straight - unless it's a dog, they don't talk much. wink

Not a McDonalds - good meatloaf and home of the self proclaimed "Best Breakfast in Town". Considering that the nearest town was Athol a few miles away I'm sure they're right!

[Linked Image]

Lakes and stuff east of Coeur D'Alene - we don't have too much scenery like this in SW Idaho.

[Linked Image]

But there is a lot of this everywhere in the state - road work!

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
don't think they will ever finish that stretch between Athol and Sandpoint.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your in Lewiston again stop in Lolo Sporting Goods. We used to buy bulk Speer Bullets purchased by the pound there. Ownership changed and bulk was no longer available, but I have read since I was there last that bulk was available again.
Hopefully that is so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is that the Hoot Owl Caf�? Best biscuits and gravy I have ever had.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Jim, sounds like a good trip. Wife has been after me to do some driving around. I like the trip to Bozeman a couple of times a year, been a long time since I've been to Couer D'Alene may have to do that at some point again myself. Headed back to Alaska at the end of the month for a few days so I'll probably wait till it cools off some. Glad you had fun.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you're touring Idaho, a MUST HAVE is the book 'Idaho for the Curious' by Cort Conley. It takes every highway in the state starting at mile 1 and follows it through to it's end. It gives all kinds of info on history, points of interest, side trips, and things to see and do. It's well worth the money. Many of his historical notes are surprising and fascinating.

Just as an example: did you know that the Cambridge area used to be the home of one of the world's largest apple orchards? One year they had a deep freeze during harvest and lost over 100,000 boxes of apples that were already picked and wiped out everything that hadn't been picked yet. It started the demise of the business.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,336
Posts18,487,662
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.