Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It is still just a remote possibility, but just in case the job is offered to me and I decide to take it...

What is it like? I know Denver is a big city not much different than Los Angeles proably. I've hunted CO but not spent any real time around Denver. What are decent suburbs that allow a reasonable commute? Any good areas in the city itself? With equity from my current house, I could probably go up to about $450-500K and still have a reasonably low house payment - I'm glad So Cal real estate has rebounded a bit. grin Good high schools since my son is 16?

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Centennial, Parker, Lone Tree, Greenwood Village, Cherry Creek...good residential areas, all of em'. And you can buy one heckuva house with the kinda money you mentioned. All close to Cherry Creek State Park and Cherry Creek Reservoir. Bicycle trails out the wazoo all over the Denver Metro...hundreds and hundreds of miles of em'. It's a great city.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
lately I compare Denver with a once gorgeous woman that lived a little too fast and spent to much time between the sheets with Democrats...lots of Democrats.

seriously, just about everywhere we travel to lately looks and smells better than Denver. If it werent for the kids we'd be so outa here. Its become a dump.

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks - I don't need to spend that much f I don't have to - I'd much prefer not to have a mortgage at all. I also don't want a HOA or dues.

Any good sportman's clubs/ranges around Denver? I've been pretty active in my local hunting and fishing club (past president and all that) It's one thing that gives me pause about moving - we are luck in that we have a private, 1-lane underground 100 yard range with 24/7 access and a couple hundred acres of land in the mountains with RV electrical and water hook-ups, permanent bathrooms and showers, etc. It's kept me sane living in So Cal.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You don't have to spend that much, and you can still get a nice house. You're gonna be hard pressed though to find a nice residential area in the Denver Metro that doesn't have a HOA or HOA fees. There is an outdoor shooting range at Cherry Creek State Park. It's a great city. There's a heckuva boom going on there right now...nice residential real estate is about 200 bucks per square foot and can go up from there. That may not be much by California standards, but it's a lot compared to say Texas and Oklahoma. I wish the cost of living wasn't so high there in Denver, but it is.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd commute, before I lived in that chithole.....

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I shoot out at Golden Gun Club, if you're out for a visit, I'll take you there. Can shoot skeet, trap, handgun, rifle, whatever you want out to 500 meters as long as it's not a 50 BMG
I live north of town as the city is too much crime and crazy for me. Jeffco Schools are pretty good, board just switched to a more conservative majority and has the association folks up in arms and fear.
Shoot a pm if you want to chat
Jon

Keep Smiling
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[bleep] Denver and I-25 but you will be reunited with a bunch of your fellow Californians it be like you never left.

Last edited by 79S; 08/10/14.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that be no kiddin'......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It depends on how far you want to drive. In that range, there are lots of beautiful homes up in the foothills - Evergreen, Conifer, Gennesee. You could also live on property out in Roxborough Park, which is South. Hard to find nice homes in Denver that don't have an HOA but in the ouskirts you could find an acreage that doesn't.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
20 years ago, I'd have said, look up my ex-wife. But now, she's gotten old.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Stay out of Denver and Boulder county. Arvada is also nice. A lot of new construction in that area. If you don't mind the commute and want more of a country feel, Weld county is gun friendly, and you can get away from the HOA.

HOA's are now required for all new constructions in Denver county.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd take Denver over LA any day.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I take Alaska over both and any other state

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
All depends on which side of Denver you end up with for the job. A commute across Denver very day will match anything you experienced in LA.

Tell me where the job is located and I can offer more info.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I had to work in Denver, I would do everything I could to avoid commuting. An evil waste of time and fuel.
There are some pretty neat old neighborhoods in Denver that are a short hop from downtown.
Whatever you do, make sure that where you live isn't opposite the Mousetrap from where you work. Rush hours are un-f-ingbelieveable and even daytime traffic skunks.
Whenever I had business in Denver and the weather would allow, I would put my rice rocket in the back of my van, DRIVE to a park-and-ride -- and ride to my business appointments. Even so, it was terrifying with all the Volvo driving communists.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I am headed to Denver on Wednesday. Dreading it, haven't been there is almost 2 years.

C
C
It looks like the office is located in Glendale - SE of Denver a bit? I haven't heard anything more, so maybe I didn't make the final cut..

My old user name and password suddenly stopped working so I had to re-register....

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
nice residential real estate is about 200 bucks per square foot and can go up from there.

antlers:

$200 x 43,560 s.f./acre = $8,712,000/acre. I think you may have a couple of extra zeros in there. There's no way that people are spending $8.7 million dollars per acre for residential land. Land might be that expensive downtown in the high rise core but not anywhere that you might want to build a home.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Denver has its issues, but I'd take it everyday over where I am on the east coast right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (10Glocks, AceBall, Amos63, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,829
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.