Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Looking for a factory contour replacement barrel for a 7/08 Remington Model 7 . I've looked around the usall suspects and haven't seen one listed that doesn't have to be custom milled . Couple on E-Bay but not exactly what I'm looking for right now without a little work . I really want a stainless or blued barrel without sites . Looking to replace the barrel on a rifle I just picked up . Previous owner cut the barrel down and although it shoots really well it's not very appealing to the eye . I also could use recommendations in a good gunsmith that could install , headspace etc tha barrel if I can find one . Any help will be appreciated .
Thanks !
Craig

When you find yourself in a hole stop digging.....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Try this in Classifieds:

"Wanted....Model Seven S/S 7-08 OEM barrel,less sights".

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You can look for a 700 mt rifle take off barrel as well. Same contour, no sights, and will be 22" so you can leave or cut as pleases you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In a Seven handle,whether OEM or McMillan,I prefer the 20" S/S slick Seven spout................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
PM sent

IC B2

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Nah, you want to order a new custom barrel for your Model Seven. Remington rolls in their barrel threads, and usually does oversized O.E.M.chambers. Figure out what you really want, and build it right. The port on the Seven is smaller than on the normal short actions, but I believe the box magazine is the same. A 7mm RSAUM is probably the nastiest cartridge which you can sneak into a Seven. A less trouble is a 300 RCM, necked down. You would need the 6.5mm Rem Mag follower, and or you could do a 6.5mm Rem Mag. without using the Hornady trick powder for twenty inch barrels. If you hunt with reloads, there's no point in the stock factory 300 RCM. Build the 18.5 inch barrel version, and you have a top mountain rifle. I put on a Leupold bridge mount and their ultra high 1" x 1 " rings, for my daughter's 243 win. model Seven, and its become her sweetheart.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow.

Your Imagination is bitchin'!...............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by INDYBUSTER
Nah, you want to order a new custom barrel for your Model Seven. Remington rolls in their barrel threads, and usually does oversized O.E.M.chambers. Figure out what you really want, and build it right. The port on the Seven is smaller than on the normal short actions, but I believe the box magazine is the same. A 7mm RSAUM is probably the nastiest cartridge which you can sneak into a Seven. A less trouble is a 300 RCM, necked down. You would need the 6.5mm Rem Mag follower, and or you could do a 6.5mm Rem Mag. without using the Hornady trick powder for twenty inch barrels. If you hunt with reloads, there's no point in the stock factory 300 RCM. Build the 18.5 inch barrel version, and you have a top mountain rifle. I put on a Leupold bridge mount and their ultra high 1" x 1 " rings, for my daughter's 243 win. model Seven, and its become her sweetheart.

Smells like Edit and Delete.

Only fair to save that much humor,for posterity................

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Big Stick, do you have a Model Seven in front of you? If you go with a 284 or a 6.5mm Rem. Mag. you have to cram the longer bullets deep into these two 55mm cases.
The RSAUM's are tailor made for these short actions. My daughter's 243 Win. model Seven is enough for its 18.5 inch long barrel. But the really short 7mm RSAUM or the 300 RCM variant wildcats will be like the 284 or 6.5mm Rem Mags chambered in a standard length action. Even pushing a long bullet deep into either the RSAUM or the RCM cases still gives you close to 30-06 capacities.

Since he already has a short action, getting rid of the Remington's oversized chambers and rolled in threads, and installing a high quality replacement barrel, will do wonders. The local sharpshooter outfit here is called Quarter Minute Magnums.

The first thing they do is to throw away the new Remington barrels, and then blueprint the M-700 actions. There is a lot more, but these are steps one and two. I bought a brand new SS 300 Win Mag Barrel, out of a salvage bin for $40., for an experiment. But its only temporarily on my left hand rifle.

Remington customer support sold me the correct follower, as my R.U.M. follower was completely wrong for the H&H pattern case. I believe they will sell the O.P. whichever one he will need. They told me that they stock about a dozen different followers.

I'm sorry that you thought I was responding tongue in cheek to this O.P.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
INDYBUSTER,

You are in soooooooooooo far over your head...you'd do well to start shooting flares.................(hint)

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Why the ultra high mounts?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Kodiak Island, The Remmie Factory sent out their model seven's, or at least the ones with wooden stocks, with high straight combs. O.K. for kids and women with small heads, but not right for large people. The carbine/stalking regime benefits from a "Bird Gun" stock, and the Leupold 1 inch tall ( ultra high) rings are a way to improvise, without butchering the factory stocks.

If you are going to pack one of these, as the lightest bolt actions in the woods, you need to throw it up like a shotgun. I stand 6'2", and the ultra high rings make all the difference. My youngest daughter isn't nearly as tall, but she too, can appreciate the new scope mounts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow...................

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've got a few M7s. My wife and daughter have their own as well. I'm just picturing chin weld with ultra high mounts. Maybe my noggins a bit on the small side.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm 6'2", and nobody would say I have a small head or skinny face. Yet the last thing I want is high rings.

The most natural "shoulder it and I'm automatically looking dead center through the scope" rig I run is a Rem. 700 Classic with the scope in low dual dovetails.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Big Stick, Please do a search online for Quarter Minute Magnums, online, and their page will tell you exactly the same thing as I have. When you roll in the barrel threads and then epoxy the barrel to the receiver, you really shoot yourself in the foot. If they could make do with Remington's factory barrels, I'm sure they would jump at the chance.

As it is, I picked up a brand new Rem 700 SS take off barrel in 300 Win. Mag., for under $50.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh...I needn't "search" anything,but am MUCH enjoying the show................(wow)

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Mathman, I guess its what turns your crank. But putting the ultra high rings on my daughter's Model Seven, inspired me to do the same for my L.H. M-700 long action. For me, as I am a large framed German/Irish, American, the original military M-98s' have enough drop at their combs to let me use open sights.
I'll even admit to having a fat head, here. I was taught to shoot, keeping both eyes open, and that also is part of it.

If you are 6' 2" and can still use low scope mounts on the factory Model Seven's 'kiddie' wood stock, then "God Bless"!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Big Stick, Please do a search online for Quarter Minute Magnums, online, and their page will tell you exactly the same thing as I have.

I've looked at them. Wouldn't trust them to mount a scope after reading "The Truth".

Unless you�re a knowledgeable, advanced hand loader, you probably don�t know diddlysquat about extreme rifle accuracy - lots of EXCELLENT military snipers, making real shots with much more riding on them than some dumb assed elk that have never reloaded a round themselves.

Generally speaking, the more a man talks the less he knows. - Oh the IRONY on a page with 30+ "truths" we're all supposed to accept from their sage wisdom.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tough to rump the humor of Window Lickers talking out their ass,but the Herman Munster Glass Mounting Chronicles,takes it to new levels.

Though now admittedly,I wanna see pics of the abortion and the crossed-eyes.............(grin)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

394 members (1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 43 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,315
Posts18,526,361
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.