Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Ferguson and the Changing Attitudes Towards Cops

One of the fascinating layers of the Ferguson riot story is how this tragedy has exposed what is a rapidly changing attitudinal climate towards law enforcement officers (LEOs). What was for years a stable predicate -- conservatives being reflexively �law and order� and inherently giving cops the benefit of the doubt -- while liberals with the built in ACLU type disdain for cops tending to always assume the worst of those in power � is now a vortex of confusion, cross currents,and contradictions.

It�s not a total flip-flop of the convention, but it�s moving in that direction. After all, we�ve seen Rand Paul and Eric Holder agree on this in the past week. Did I mention confusing and contradictory?

Consider: many young liberals have of course discovered a love for big government, and take to Twitter and Facebook to support cops harassing Tea Party types and Nevada ranchers just as they cheer the IRS and Lois Lerner persecuting conservative business people and political groups. Meanwhile, liberal voters in Boston cheered their �Boston Strong� reaction to the Marathon bombers, which to me looked a lot like an entire city cowering from a wounded young teen -- while LEOs with Seal Team Six fantasies trampled on every liberty they could for 48 hours -- brandishing Kevlar, automatic weapons, neo-Nazi style helmets and riding around neighborhoods in hummers and kicking down doors.

The media, long willing to challenge the cops and take the victim's point of view, have been silent, or even dismissive, of recent fears by the right of militarized police departments and massive ammo buys by the Feds. Worship of Obama and support for public sector unions has trumped their former concerns apparently.

The old model of �neighborhood cops� -- who walk a beat in their blues and classic police hat look -- with both their shirt and cap prominently displaying a shield and with the revolver holstered, is now pass�. Keep in mind that this was a carefully crafted image of trust, one of a fellow citizen officer who was there to �protect and serve� the community. And you can bet that this new image, that of every Podunk community having units that make the original Los Angeles SWAT teams look like cub scouts, is also carefully crafted. This is not about protect and serve. It�s about raw government power.

And keep in mind, almost every government agency now has their own army. We saw this when the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) mobilized their assault teams against Cliven Bundy�s ranch -- with machine guns, no less!

In Dallas, a school board has a SWAT Team!! Again, think: Raw. Government. Power.

And this image is no accident. Much like the TSA being an agency of teaching sheeplike compliance (and guaranteed union jobs) --as opposed to the public mission of safety -- these demonstrations of government force and tactics are the part of the same coercion. There is an unsettling commonality among all of this, the IRS, the militarized police forces, the TSA, the BLM, ATF -- and many conservatives are starting to connect the dots. (Some are not, but more on that later).

My initial response to Ferguson, before knowing any of the facts, was codifying. My gut reaction was that the cops were very likely to be in the wrong. This is a complete 180 from my reactions to similar stories for most of my life. Like a lot of you, I was raised to inherently respect policemen. And I did. And you did too.

Setting aside the Ferguson case per se -- as the facts are still flowing in and there are millions of words written about that -- this is about a sea change in political attitudes that is coming to light.

For a lot of us now, the first reaction to seeing a LEO is suspicion, or at least annoyance. We see the thousands of YouTube videos of police abuse. Many of us catch the blue wall attitude on boating forums, or gun forums, or fishing forums -- where LEOs openly mock the notion they �work for us.� We see the hummers and the automatic weapons and the assault style look everywhere. We hear about the government buying up ammo and see astonishing stories about newly discovered armies by this or that �alphabet agency� of our Federal government. We saw the story about the grenade landing in a baby�s crib during a questionable raid. And we saw many images of �Boston Strong� too.

While it�s not as visible, what happens on the water could be worse. There is a preposterous amount of duplication and overlap among departments with jurisdiction. And these LEOs, including wildlife departments, have all kinds of militarized speedboats and gear.

Talk about mission creep! Boaters, who tend to be overwhelmingly conservative, get boarded and harassed by these multiple agencies on a routine basis. Sometimes the LEOs cannot handle these pricey toys and up destroying private property.

And let�s not minimize the impact of art imitating life either. On TV, we see the cops on �Law and Order� more concerned with their unions and their pensions than citizens. We see the arrogant and condescending attitude towards free enterprise of �CSI Miami�, �Numb3rs�, and many other shows � where the cops always have the liberal notion of business as being wealthy, evil, and not worthy of respect. These are not documentaries to be sure, but the unanimous nature of these traits by LEOs in entertainment is no coincidence either.

And if we are in the private sector and a victim of crime -- especially a white-collar crime like embezzlement from our businesses -- we see a system that moves glacially and has little regard for victims� rights.

What reactions to Ferguson have demonstrated is that all of the above dynamics are contributing to a changing political narrative on the relationship between LEOs and those they (ostensibly) protect and serve. It�s not universal -- as Erick Erickson and others who have mentioned it have been chastised by some in their audiences -- but it�s significant. Frankly, I was much happier and much more optimistic about the country when I had automatic respect for all in law enforcement.

But I cannot ignore what my eyes have shown me for the past number of years. Things are different -- they just are. I no longer feel protected, and certainly not served -- by anyone and anything having to do with government. I suspect many conservatives, though not all, agree.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2014/08/ferguson_and_the_changing_attitudes_towards_cops.html

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ferguson is complicated by the purported two sides both being essentially government entities deployed against private citizens rights and property, but otherwise the author has it very right.

I know that his article neglected the puppycide component, but to me it is one of law enforcement's most glaring and most galling tactics of oppression.

[Linked Image]

You made your rulers mighty, gave them guards,
So now you groan 'neath slavery's heavy rod
~ Solon

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right on comrade!

We all need to rise up against the hand of oppression and join our brothers and sisters in Ferguson.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by fish head
Right on comrade!

We all need to rise up against the hand of oppression and join our brothers and sisters in Ferguson.

Yes, we do; and I'll stand with these guys defending their business

[Linked Image]

and this little guy getting robbed.

[Linked Image]

If you are suggesting that any of these below are your brothers and sisters, I'd suggest that you are a finger of that hand of oppression.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Authority has always attracted the lowest elements in the human race. All through history, mankind has been bullied by scum. Those who lord it over their fellows and toss commands in every direction and would boss the grass in the meadow about which way to bend in the wind are the most depraved kind of prostitutes. They will submit to any indignity, perform any vile act, do anything to achieve power. ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
America has abandoned the concept of freedom and liberty, the people know it and so do the powerful. They are using the police against the people and revolts will grow more widespread.

Be prepared to stand against anyone who is going to use force against you, your family, or your property Stand with your friends when they need help too.

Last edited by Siskiyous6; 08/17/14.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Let's see I hate people who take advantage of others. I will shhot every pit bull THAT COMES ON MY PLACE AND MOST [bleep] TOO .

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You guys have to forgive Rovering, his wife left him for a cop after he couldn't make it into the academy...but then the cop tried giving her back

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Evidently he got picked on a lot in school too. Poor little feller!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rovering
Right on comrade!

Yes, we do; and I'll stand with these guys ...

Don't forget about our brothers and sisters in the streets.

They needs us too.

FIGHT THE POWER !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OP? Rovering, that you?

[Linked Image]

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Where the hell is Sharpton's hand.

Wait,,, don't tell me.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

[Linked Image]

Where the hell is Sharpton's hand.

Wait,,, don't tell me.

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh laugh

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

It's a masonic handshake.

That's it. grin

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When did cops all of a sudden become "Heroes"after 9/11?
It was firemen that were the heroes.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I dunno, sixty-three (63) cops were killed at ground zero.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Spot on. Good read.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

[Linked Image]

It's a masonic handshake.

That's it. grin

Isn't that Buckwheat from The Little Rascals in the middle? I always wondered what he was doing these days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Talk about a target rich opportunity picture. cool

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The article certainly has a point. I know I'm more weary of cops and less likely to call them than I once was.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Siskiyous6
America has abandoned the concept of freedom and liberty, the people know it and so do the powerful. They are using the police against the people and revolts will grow more widespread.

Be prepared to stand against anyone who is going to use force against you, your family, or your property Stand with your friends when they need help too.

The history of totalitarian regimes is reflected in the evolution and perfection of the instruments of terror and more especially the police.
~ Carl J. Friedrich

Yes, every totalitarian regime has, like this one, used police as a tool of tyranny.

This one has added a violent government funded underclass to the mix with their more formally employed forces.

[Linked Image]

They and the police are the opposing jaws of government's pincers to use on private citizens.

[Linked Image]

The Amer Rouge is just an unknowable bit of additional power away from being able to use Khmer Rouge tactics, but for the moment they need be a bit more subtle.

Maybe we still have time to make that stand against them, but we've none to waste.

Last edited by Rovering; 08/17/14. Reason: typo

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (222ND, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,480
Posts18,529,651
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.