Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Off a bench under a tin roof, you'll feel the concussion when that thing goes bang... shocked

Will definitely test your hearing protection equipment.

NPT's aren't the sleekest LR bullet, but effective. In some guns, I've seen them prove to be the most accurate bullet.

DF

10/4 on that

[Linked Image]

The bench rest range as our shooting club is covered, and it seems that it always is the case that the guy on my left or right is always shooting either a rifle with a brake or a newbie with an AR and no brass catcher *usually on my left in this case) I've learned. I wear ear plugs and ear muffs. Definitely helps with the concussion.

I've not yet shot the 300 Roy. I'll clean the barrel down to bare metal with a JB bore paste and Kroil combo. I've loaded up some 180 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips with 75-79 gr. of RL 19 in 2 gr. increments and some IMR 7828SC from 80.5-84.5 gr., the same at a COAL of 3.565. I've laid in a store of Accubonds. Since I'll only be shooting deer and hogs, the Ballistic Tips should work fine, but I do like the performance of the Accubonds. Depending on the groups I'll probably end up using a load that clocks around 3,000 to 3,050 fps. Anyway, whoever owned it before replaced the original pad with a kick-eze 1" pad, bedded the action, did a trigger job and magna-ported it. Will see what the rifle sez.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/18/14.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
GW,

While you have it that clean, do the DBC treatment.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've always wanted a 7mm Weatherby in a Model 70. Had a couple of 300 Weatherbys in the past as well. Little brother shoots a 257 Weatherby. Fun rifle.

Semper Fi
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have a good friend who uses a 7mm Wby mag when he is hunting seriously, uses it well and very successfully. It aint on a Weatherby action though...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've never been a Wby fan, but ended up with a MkV in .257 Wby. It wasn't consistent so I put a 7RM Brux tube on it and dropped it in a McM Wby. Express (formally Sako Safari).

The MkV is a big, heavy action, but is slick and fast, seems well made. I replaced the factory trigger with a Timney and it's a serious shooter.

Still not a Wby fan. My only Wby. round is the .240 but in an HS rifle. It too is a shooter. I traded for that rifle, but if doing a build would go 6mm-06 instead of .240. Wby brass is expensive and forming .240 cases from .25-06 brass takes muscle, making 6mm-06 cases, much easier.

And, I would go with an 8 twist instead of 10 to use the 105 Scenar. My .240 can't handle that bullet.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/18/14.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
GW,

While you have it that clean, do the DBC treatment.

DF

I may look into that.

I've a belief that most folks that fancy themselves rifle looneys clean their rifles too much. I see guys at the range that will shoot 8 to 10 rounds and clean. Then they are pissed cause their rifles won't group. I figure on many rifles it takes that many or more to get a barrel fouled. On a rifle such as this Remington Classic, I'd bet I can get 75 rounds down the tube before any degradation in accuracy. Once I develop a load I like it will be a while before I put another 75 rounds through it.

For a low volume shooter, what would be your suggestion as the benefits of Dyna-Bore Coat?

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/18/14.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
If I ever built another 7mm mag it will be a weatherby. Not necessarily on a weatherby action though. Now if they offered the chambering in a vanguard I'd think about it very seriously. Only other weatherby I would even consider is a 257 but I'd most likely go with a 25-06 in that caliber, and no more than a 24" barrel. I am mostly a timber/broken country hunter so portability becomes a significant factor in a hunting rifle and anything longer than 24" in a bolt action feels awkward, to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Think 22" 243.

Thank me later..................(hint)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Think 22" 243.

Thank me later..................(hint)

Can do that.........

[Linked Image]

It works just fine on smallish critters..........

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the good stuff,hold the Fluff.

Texas Teutonic Humor,is HILARIOUS....if only because it's obllivious.................(hint)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I agree with cleaning too much. Some OCD types wear their barrel more with cleaning than shooting.

The good thing about DBC, fouling is greatly reduced. I shoot my treated premium barrels a bunch before cleaning. And a patch or two of Eliminator or equivalent is all that's needed. Even with rougher factory barrels, like some Rem tubes, they foul much less, don't need cleaning as often.

My guns seem to group better after they've been fired several times. So, I clean them only periodically whether they need it or not. I've not experienced a loss of accuracy due to fouling, but I don't burn as much powder as some Fire contributors.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've never been a Wby fan, but ended up with a MkV in .257 Wby. It wasn't consistent so I put a 7RM Brux tube on it and dropped it in a McM Wby. Express (formally Sako Safari).

The MkV is a big, heavy action, but is slick and fast, seems well made. I replaced the factory trigger with a Timney and it's a serious shooter.

Still not a Wby fan. My only Wby. round is the .240 but in an HS rifle. It too is a shooter. I traded for that rifle, but if doing a build would go 6mm-06 instead of .240. Wby brass is expensive and forming .240 cases from .25-06 brass takes muscle, making 6mm-06 cases, much easier.

And, I would go with an 8 twist instead of 10 to use the 105 Scenar. My .240 can't handle that bullet.

DF

I imagine. Especially since the .240 is belted and the .25-06 isn't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It'd be funny to get all these Pretenders gathered in the flesh,for a Shooting Exhibition.

I mean FUNNY!................

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My favorite remains the .257 -- but not because of some well-constructed scientific argument. It's a purely sentimental choice. I like it. I've always liked it. I continue to kill stuff DRT with it, and that makes me happy. Everything else is irrelevant.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by moosemike

DF

It can be done, just take some muscle. Link to the process and equipment.

Making 6mm-06 brass from .25-06 cases not nearly as hard.

The 6mm-06 case is beltless and has a tad more capacity than the .240. A from the ground up build, no contest, go with the 6mm-06.

DF

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5820015/11

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

DF

The 6mm-06 case is beltless and has a tad more capacity than the .240. A from the ground up build, no contest, go with the 6mm-06.

DF

Well I'll be.....I stand corrected. Looks like a major PITA though.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

DF

Well I'll be.....I stand corrected. Looks like a major PITA though.

Actually not that bad, just takes some effort with a good, compound press, to swedge the whole case body, leaving the belt. It's best to use new brass, once fired has been "worked", making it hard. You wouldn't think just one firing would make brass that much harder, but it seems to. I guess one could anneal used brass, but you don't want to get too far down on the case body with that process. It's just easier to use virgin brass.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting. Learn something new every day.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
In reviewing that old thread, I remember Mike A saying to use anhydrous wool fat as the lube. He said it works better than other lubes, including die wax.

So, if I can find W/W .25-06 brass, I may give anydrous wool fat a try.

DF

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Good luck finding any .25/06 brass. I have been searching the net for months and there is only a little used brass for up to double the "usual" price of new brass unfortunately.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (260Remguy, 30Gibbs, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 280ACKIMP, 257_X_50, 43 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,318
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.