Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Curious what you guys are wearing for deer hunting in areas that get cold and wet. Seriously considering some insulated type rubber boots like the Alpha Burleys etc. but how are they on uneven terrain hikes? I'm not talking the rocky mountains here but NC, PA, WV, IN, IL. While I was looking I was thinking why wouldn't a decent pair of waders with thinsulate boots not work also?

Thanks fellas.

MGunns

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been wearing the Alpha Burleys for a few years now all over New England from the cedar swamps of Maine to the hills in CT and VT, I like them a lot(have 800 gram insulated and uninsulated). My only complaint is that they are a little heavy. The muck boots are similiar and a bit lighter.

MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks ChipM,

Had the opportunity to hunt Northern Maine a few years back, great time! Just never tried the rubber boots before. I have several places from NC to Indiana where the water is over knee high so was thinking why not a waders?

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I wear rubber boots from October to April for everything from bird hunting through icefishing and have Bogs Classic Highs, Bogs Blaze, and Muck Arctic Sport. I prefer the fit and comfort of the Bogs over the Muck.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have been using the Alpha Burley for years as well and I like them a lot but I think I will be buying a pair of Muck Fieldblazers before the hunting season is here.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CLB
I have been using the Alpha Burley for years as well and I like them a lot but I think I will be buying a pair of Muck Fieldblazers before the hunting season is here.

My Mucks didn't last long. I like the Alpha Burley's (only one season on them)

[Linked Image]

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
What happened to your Mucks? My Alphas have been solid for a few years now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stay away from Muck boots. They support the HSUS....the largest anti-hunting organization out there.

Life is hard,its even harder when you are stupid.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Muck boots here. Otherwise, when really wet and nasty, hip waders work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoshK
Stay away from Muck boots. They support the HSUS....the largest anti-hunting organization out there.

No they don't.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9076978/Muck_Boots_Reply_to_HSUS

Another fan of the LaCrosse Alpha Burly Pro's here, been wearing mine all summer and love these things. Can't wait to use them during moose season.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ok, well....i was poorly informed. My bad.

Goes to show what happens when you open your mouth before you have the whole story. :-)

Josh

Life is hard,its even harder when you are stupid.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If the water is only ankle deep or less, there's no reason for waders. I duck hunt. A lot. Waders are cumbersome at best. I have neoprene and breathables. They are FAR more comfortable than 30 years ago, but I would not want to drag a deer out wearing them.

My buddies who hunt in wet swamps wear the old firemen hip boots. They're warm, built like iron, and you can turn them down for light walking. Check any firefighter supply house and look for the black ones with the yellow trim. Extra cold days here in the north woods, they just tie felt pack boots and carry them over their shoulders until they get to their stand.

Otherwise, knee boots are the way to go. 8 seasons on my Mucks. I'll buy another pair.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wear Alpha Burly's on almost all of my hunts...uninsulated for early season and an insulated pair for late season. They fit great around the ankles and are very comfortable.

MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys. I'm seeing alot of wearing the Alpha Burly's. May have to give them a try this year. I have never went the rubber boot route in many years of hunting.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i wear the itasca 1000g knee high boots when hunting in creek areas. fit is important with rubber boots. only problem is they make my feet sweat but its better than soaking wet from creek water.

My diploma is a DD214
MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replys. I hunt mostly in Eastern NC and most of the year wear my lace up snake boots. Late in the season there are some spots I'd like to hunt that will require some sort of rubber boot or wader. Also, last year I had the opportunity to hunt Indiana and have an invite to go back this year. There was a creek crossing almost up to my waist which had to be crossed daily so the reason for my post. Was just thinking that possibly a pair of waders may be the way to go and if they are good enough to duck hunt in why couldn't you deer hunt in them?

For rubber boots I have seen alot of favorable posts for the alpha burlys. I guess the toss up is waterproof, warmth and how far all the above are for walking a distance in? Thanks again.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,295
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.