Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
OK, guys. What's your choice of reticle in a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 for low-light conditions (I know the arguments about objective size so am not concerned with that): Leupy's "German 4" or "Heavy Duplex"? Of course, I could save a hundred bucks and get a VX2 1-4 in standard duplex, which works fine on my VX3 2.5-8, so I might as well throw it into the mix as well.

But mostly I'm asking about reticle choice for low-light conditions. What's your preference?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got a VXR 1.25x4 #4 and the VX6 2-12 #4, both illuminated. I like the reticles and both have a decent amount of mass to see when it's very dark. I haven't really tested either illuminated yet as the plain old #4 is pretty good. Not quite as good as the real German #4's but still decent.

Leupolds Heavy Duplex is a great reticle as well, I've got that in a 1.5x5 and it's works excellent for the tight and fast shooting in the SE. It's claimed many deer on the move, picks up fast and seems well suited for hunting.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've got 1 scope with the heavy duplex and 2 scopes with the post & duplex reticles. When I lose the reticles in dim light it's too late for me to shoot. I like the P&D a bit more than the HD. If I buy another fixed 4X I may try the #1 reticle.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by beretzs
I've got a VXR 1.25x4 #4 and the VX6 2-12 #4, both illuminated. I like the reticles and both have a decent amount of mass to see when it's very dark. I haven't really tested either illuminated yet as the plain old #4 is pretty good. Not quite as good as the real German #4's but still decent.

Leupolds Heavy Duplex is a great reticle as well, I've got that in a 1.5x5 and it's works excellent for the tight and fast shooting in the SE. It's claimed many deer on the move, picks up fast and seems well suited for hunting.

Thanks for the note. As you pointed out, for some reason Leupold's German 4 doesn't look quite like other German 4s I've seen.

I love illuminated reticles and use a VXR Firedot 4, 3-9, on a MRC ASR, but I don't want to put a 30mm tube on a Ruger No 1a. I want to stay with a 1 inch...at least until an illuminated reticle comes in a 1 inch.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I've got 1 scope with the heavy duplex and 2 scopes with the post & duplex reticles. When I lose the reticles in dim light it's too late for me to shoot. I like the P&D a bit more than the HD. If I buy another fixed 4X I may try the #1 reticle.

I was seriously looking at P&D. That will have to be something out of Leupy's custom shop. I might try either the G4 or HD for a bit, and if it doesn't work out it's off to Leupold for a P&D. What is it that you like better about the P&D?

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have had stellar luck with the VX2 in a 1-4 with basic duplex.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe

Is that what's on the Ingwe Express (your Fwt)?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

That's a popular combo down here in our deer hunting area. Deer are usually moving quickly due to be pushed by hounds so you either have to learn to shoot them moving or let them pass. The 1.25x4, 1.5x5 and 1x4 Leupolds are the most popular around our place on slug guns. Plus they are fairly low profile and don't catch on every vine in the woods. I'd love to have the #4 in my 1.5x5 on my slug gun, but the Heavy Duplex works fine and hopefully upon retirement I won't have to hunt deer with a shotgun anymore!

Semper Fi
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I'd love to have the #4 in my 1.5x5 on my slug gun, but the Heavy Duplex works fine and hopefully upon retirement I won't have to hunt deer with a shotgun anymore!

Moving west or farther south?

I have some variation of the No 4 on two of my 7x57s, just not the standard Leupold No. 4. For some reason the P&D design catches my eye a bit better, but I'm not entirely sure at 0'Dark-Thirty as I haven't tried it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RevMike
I'd love to have the #4 in my 1.5x5 on my slug gun, but the Heavy Duplex works fine and hopefully upon retirement I won't have to hunt deer with a shotgun anymore!

Moving west or farther south?

I have some variation of the No 4 on two of my 7x57s, just not the standard Leupold No. 4. For some reason the P&D design catches my eye a bit better, but I'm not entirely sure at 0'Dark-Thirty as I haven't tried it.

West is the plan.

So far, from what I've seen is Meopta has the tightest #4 and Leupolds have the most space. I like the Leupolds but just wish they were a little tighter. I like the #4 reticle a bunch. But then again, I've done fine with regular Duplex or similar on my hunting rifles as well.

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Is that what's on the Ingwe Express (your Fwt)?

Nope, that was a 1.5-5 but I have since put a larger scope on it for older eyes�.

However a VX2 1-4 served me well on a 7x57 mountain rifle years ago�

[Linked Image]

Then the scope moved to my .375 for a couple years�

[Linked Image]

Then it moved to Ingwewifes .30-06, where it still resides, 10 years later..

[Linked Image]

Its a real toss up whether or not the 1.5-5 is worth the extra $$$$

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
So far, from what I've seen is Meopta has the tightest #4 and Leupolds have the most space. I like the Leupolds but just wish they were a little tighter. I like the #4 reticle a bunch. But then again, I've done fine with regular Duplex or similar on my hunting rifles as well.

Have you taken a look at the P&D on Leupold's website? They'll change it out on an existing scope, but I'm not sure for how much. I have a note in to Leupold and will find out for sure.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Have you taken a look at the P&D on Leupold's website? They'll change it out on an existing scope, but I'm not sure for how much. I have a note in to Leupold and will find out for sure.

Nope, sure haven't seen that. I've got a 3.5x10 on its way to Leupold now for a # 4 retrofit. I'll take a look at the P and D though.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I just looked at the Post and Duplex. Seems to be a #4 with pointed bars? Same same to me. Looks like a nice reticle though. I'd run one.

Semper Fi
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Its a real toss up whether or not the 1.5-5 is worth the extra $$$$

Nice pictures, Ingwe, as always. You realize you married up, right?

Your question is a good one.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I just looked at the Post and Duplex. Seems to be a #4 with pointed bars? Same same to me. Looks like a nice reticle though. I'd run one.

Pretty much except the opening of the crosshairs (I'm sure there's a name for it) isn't as wide as between the G4.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm thinking of having a VX3 1.75-6 converted to post and duplex, and a 1-4 with that or #1, if they'll do it on a VX1?

I think the post/duplex is basically a #4 done 'right'.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I think the post/duplex is basically a #4 done 'right'.

I agree with that, at least in Leupold's case. I expect I'll eventually have a VX3 changed to that reticle. But until then, I'm just wondering which of the two - the current G4 or HD - will be better in low light conditions.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I like the HD better, if the other choice is G4, from Leupold, anyway. Other makes have tighter G4s, like Zeiss or Meopta. Minox's G4 is even wider, to me. For a hunting scope, especially of reasonable magnification (1-8x), having that smaller focal point in low light seems more practical, to me.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I like the HD better, if the other choice is G4, from Leupold, anyway. Other makes have tighter G4s, like Zeiss or Meopta. Minox's G4 is even wider, to me. For a hunting scope, especially of reasonable magnification (1-8x), having that smaller focal point in low light seems more practical, to me.

The HD has heavier posts too, which make them stand out more in low light conditions. At least that's the way I'm leaning.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,261
Posts18,486,455
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.